Ricotta Cheese

Options
I have half of a container of ricotta cheese left over from when I made lasagna. What can I do with it? Usually it just gets left in the fridge until its old then I throw it away. I need some ideas please!! Thanks in advance! =)

Replies

• shastacrystal
    Options
    I am not sure what types of things you like but you can always add some splenda (or other sweetner) and cinnamon to it and eat it on apples.
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Add some sweetener (honey, sugar, etc) and a little vanilla, spread it on a slice os bread and put it under the broiler.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    You can make a frittata with it... I usually use my left over veggies, riccotta, some fresh basil or whatever herbs I have on hand that sound yummy, and about a dozen eggs beaten.. mix it all together, you can start it stove top and then finish it off under the broiler or bake it at 350 for about 30 minutes (almost set firm) then finish it off the last couple of minutes under the broiler.

Sometimes I do mine with left over chicken or throw in some ham with broccoli. Another option is smoked salmon and onion...

sometimes I will roast some potatoes that I thinly sliced to layer on the bottom of the pan for a crust effect... really, you can do just about anything with a frittata. A friend of mine mixes in left-over pasta and sauce...
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If nothing else, you can also stick it in the freezer until you make another lasagna. You'll probably have to stir it up after you thaw it, because the water will separate. Yes, I do it. I freeze practically anything and everything. My mother teases me about my freezer having elastic sides because I'm always commenting about how I had such-and-such in there which I knew would be perfect in a particular situation. :)
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    If nothing else, you can also stick it in the freezer until you make another lasagna. You'll probably have to stir it up after you thaw it, because the water will separate. Yes, I do it. I freeze practically anything and everything. My mother teases me about my freezer having elastic sides because I'm always commenting about how I had such-and-such in there which I knew would be perfect in a particular situation. :)

Lol, this is me too! I was just freezing curry paste in an ice cube tray today and my husband looked at me like I had an arm growing out of my head. You just never know when you'll need that freezer, I tell you.

That being said, ricotta is great. Try it in an omelette or mix it with honey and pumpkin puree. It's wonderful stuff. I can eat it plain, or with pineapple chunks.
  • thehealthyone
    Options
    You can make a frittata with it... I usually use my left over veggies, riccotta, some fresh basil or whatever herbs I have on hand that sound yummy, and about a dozen eggs beaten.. mix it all together, you can start it stove top and then finish it off under the broiler or bake it at 350 for about 30 minutes (almost set firm) then finish it off the last couple of minutes under the broiler.

Sometimes I do mine with left over chicken or throw in some ham with broccoli. Another option is smoked salmon and onion...

sometimes I will roast some potatoes that I thinly sliced to layer on the bottom of the pan for a crust effect... really, you can do just about anything with a frittata. A friend of mine mixes in left-over pasta and sauce...
  • thehealthyone
    Options
    O my gosh, good idea Sara..I've never made one..just had to quote this so that I can have access to it from my page!! Thanks!!
  • Shel2Peru
    Shel2Peru Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    freeze it.......I do that all the time........if it's going into a baked dish, it won't matter....:drinker:
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    this recipe looks amazing! (and only calls for 1/2 cup ricotta)

http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2009/11/27/pan-fried-pumpkin-gnocchi-with-brown-butter-sage/
  • cullensbrunette
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Everything sounds delish!!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i like hard-cooked eggs with ricotta, spinach (or kale) and tomato (toms only when in season because, srsly, all others really pale by comparison). mushrooms are nice with it, too.

you could also make ricotta gnocchi which is ridiculously delicious and extremely filling. search out any recipe, but it's basically ricotta, egg and a little flour (just to keep it all together).

you can wrap the gnocchi in basil or oregano leaves, secure with toothpicks and then have a variety of sauces to dip.

edit: oh, and if you don't feel like eating them all right away, or you want to save them, the gnocchi freeze very well.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I like to mix it with strawberries, blueberries, almond slices, and cinnamon in a bowl. It's really good for a snack!