does anyone just feel....

Options
2»

Replies

• elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Don't compare yourself to someone who seems to have infinitely more resources than you do...that just makes it easy to make excuses and think you can't do it because you don't have those same resources.

Go to the success stories forum right here on myfitnesspal, and see real people, just like you, who improved their health and fitness through better eating and exercise. You don't need a personal chef or a trainer or a gym membership. You just need to learn about fitness and nutrition, and then put that knowledge to work for you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    it gave me 2700 for my calorie intake . i read its 1200 tho :(

1200 is the minimum deemed heatlhy for an average sized sedentary woman to eat. If she does any exercise at all, even the average sized woman needs to eat more than 1200.

Go with the MFP recommendation. If you included exercise in your activity level, then don't log and eat back those calories because they are already included. If not, then log exercises and eat all or part of those additional calories back (you'll still have a deficit and you should still lose).
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    it gave me 2700 for my calorie intake . i read its 1200 tho :(

Well it all depends on your goals and activity level. If you go in and set your goal to lose 1 or 1.5 lbs a week and your activity to lightly active MFP will probably give you somewhere around 1500-1600 (big assumption). 1200 calories is the FDA's minimum recommended daily allowance for women and that does not mean we have to eat 1200 calories to lose weight. I am losing consistently at 2000 but I am very active. On days that I am not active I will usually stick to around 1600 calories or so. I weigh all of my solid foods on a food scale and measure all of my liquids plus use a heart rate monitor to get a better estimate of calories burned during activity.

Find an activity that you love doing and it is easy to stay motivated. You can do this.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Her diary says her goal is 1510 before exercise, which seems reasonable to me.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    2700 seems a bit high. I need to lose 75 lbs, I am sedentary at my job and I want to lose 2 lbs a week, and it gave me 1200 calories a day.

losing 2 pounds a week is pretty unattainable for most people, especially after the initial shock of starting a diet and exercise regime.

change your goals to 1 pound a week. i'll bet your results will be more linear, and you'll have more energy.
  • tropicaltiger
    Options
    DON'T COMPARE YOURSELF TO models are movie stars-I use to do that-and it wasn't reality-I can tell you eating healthy and working out I lost 94 pounds over 5 years ago-didn't even use a trainer-I went to the gym and just made my mind up I was going to do this-I do 1200 calories daily when I want to lose weight-for me I did lose 2 pounds aweek sometimes more sometime less-but take the weight off the way you want to keep it off-please feel free to add me-remember everyone is different-and look you are here and you are a winner :smile:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    DON'T COMPARE YOURSELF TO models are movie stars-I use to do that-and it wasn't reality-I can tell you eating healthy and working out I lost 94 pounds over 5 years ago-didn't even use a trainer-I went to the gym and just made my mind up I was going to do this-I do 1200 calories daily when I want to lose weight-for me I did lose 2 pounds aweek sometimes more sometime less-but take the weight off the way you want to keep it off-please feel free to add me-remember everyone is different-and look you are here and you are a winner :smile:

why not compare yourself? if you can do it positively, its a good thing. i mean, you have to understand that these people have to be in shape for their jobs, and that they have a lot more free time then the rest of us, and can hire cooks and trainers and stuff. but looking at a celebrity like Jessica Biel and saying "oh, i want to look like her" and then googling what she did to get in shape for a role or something, can be motivating and positive.
  • minisnee09
    Options
    You can't compare yourself to others, especially celebrities. Unless you have 24 hours a day to focus on eating right and exercising it's going to take you longer to achieve your weight loss goals. I'm right there with ya at times tho. We all used to be in shape at one point in our lives and I for one want to be there again with the snap of my fingers. That darlin' is impossible. Just taking one day at a time is not impossible. Something that I have found very motivational are quotes. I have put a quote in my phone for every single day. I scheduled it to come up an hour or so before I'm done with work. This is that time where I contemplate... to go to the gym or not. I run every excuse thru my head before I see that quote and get my butt to the gym. Of course it's so easy for me to preach to others yet struggle to take my own advise :-) Which is why there's MFP! You get friends that help keep you motivated :-) Feel free to add me!!!
  • desaree01
    desaree01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Don't look at celebrities for weight loss motivation. Most of the time their situations are unrealistic compared to normal life. They have personal cooks, trainers, income to afford some of the weight loss luxuries that we don't have. Find your personal motivation. What drives you? What are you trying to accomplish and why? Then find people with more realistic similar situations to your's and use them at support and motivation. I have a pair of jean from my freshman year of college that I tacked to my wall right next to my mirror and an old picture of me in those jeans on my fridge. I want to be back in those jeans so bad. My *kitten* looked awesome in them. LOL. Crazy but its been working for me. We all have bad days, but don't ever let the bad days put a stop to your long term accomplishments.