My gym is closed!!!

Options
I live in a high rise in Chicago and am so lucky to have a gym in my building but we had a sprinkler pipe burst a couple days ago and it flooded the whole first floor and now my gym is out of commission :( I've already missed a couple workouts, I started the 30 day shred last week which I could do at home if I go out and buy some hand weights but I was also doing c25k and there's no way I can do that until I have the gym back. I can't run outside, there's snow and ice everywhere and...oh yeah, it's only 4 degrees! Seriously cramping my new years resolutions. I've already been trying to lose weight for a year and I keep doing well for a week or 2 at a time and then falling off the wagon for a bit and just going back and forth. I was really set on being good and sticking to it this time. UHG!!!!

Replies

• bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Are they going to work with a gym near by to get you a discount until its fixed? Do you have stairs in the high rise that you could take up and down? You could do the 30 day shred and on days where its not as snowy or icy you could run outside-- i live in Pennsylvania and run outside.

Just figure out a way around it, but that does suck, I feel your pain!
  • ananda403
    ananda403 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    They thought the gym would be back up and running today but I guess some of the equipment was damaged so now who knows! I've never been much of a runner, I've always biked or went hiking a lot but never running. It's very new to me and I kind of have a love/hate relationship with it right now. I think if I try to tackle it out in these elements I'll just hate it and it will be that much harder to stay on track. I think I have a free week at a gym nearby, maybe I should look into that. Gotta stay motivated!!!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Google HIIT and body weight exercises. There's always a way to get in a workout without leaving the house.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    They thought the gym would be back up and running today but I guess some of the equipment was damaged so now who knows! I've never been much of a runner, I've always biked or went hiking a lot but never running. It's very new to me and I kind of have a love/hate relationship with it right now. I think if I try to tackle it out in these elements I'll just hate it and it will be that much harder to stay on track. I think I have a free week at a gym nearby, maybe I should look into that. Gotta stay motivated!!!

You'd be surprised! I have NEVER been a runner, but I call treadmills, dreadmills now...Once I got my first taste of running outside it was a whole new ballgame and I fell in LOVE with running. With the right gear you can run in the weather you have now. It was negative here yesterday and I stomped out 3 miles. :) I can't seem to keep my focus or pace on a treadmill now. It's daunting, but so much more enjoyable outside..to me anyway..Best of Luck!
  • Lemmynade
    Lemmynade Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Try the Sworkit app or Virtual Gym. Great variety of exercises!

I like the stairs idea too!
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Are they going to work with a gym near by to get you a discount until its fixed? Do you have stairs in the high rise that you could take up and down? You could do the 30 day shred and on days where its not as snowy or icy you could run outside-- i live in Pennsylvania and run outside.

Just figure out a way around it, but that does suck, I feel your pain!

Stairs SOunds like a great plan & BURPEES :smile:
  • MNBardsley
    MNBardsley Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have definitely been there before. I am taking a trip to NYC this weekend so I wont have my normal gym workouts. I planned running Central Park one day and the Brooklyn Bridge the next. I also have a "hotel room workout" (Google it) which are bodyweight exercises like Michele mentioned above.

Don't let burst pipes slow you down. Find a way to get sweaty somewhere else for a 30 minutes or an hour and you will chug right along!

P.S. Nice job on the weight loss so far. :smile:
  • Kauczuk
    Kauczuk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had similar problem after my last move. I bought TRX and that was the best purchase ever. No excuses with the weather, don't need to commute.
  • ananda403
    Options
    So many great ideas! Thanks for all the motivation! I definitely won't be sitting on my couch today :happy:
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    don't use handweights in the meantime. or grab some cans of food. You can do this without a gym. I know you can!:flowerforyou:
  • ananda403
    Options

You'd be surprised! I have NEVER been a runner, but I call treadmills, dreadmills now...Once I got my first taste of running outside it was a whole new ballgame and I fell in LOVE with running. With the right gear you can run in the weather you have now. It was negative here yesterday and I stomped out 3 miles. :) I can't seem to keep my focus or pace on a treadmill now. It's daunting, but so much more enjoyable outside..to me anyway..Best of Luck!

Omg no way am I that tough! Maybe I'll try outside this weekend when it's supposed to hit 40. Until then I'm donig 30 day shred inside and I think I'm gonna run stairs. I do have plenty of those! I think I have a new goal: make it all the way up to my apt only by stairs, all 22 stories.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I've already been trying to lose weight for a year and I keep doing well for a week or 2 at a time and then falling off the wagon for a bit and just going back and forth.

You don't need a gym to lose weight - you need to eat less to lose weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    don't use handweights in the meantime. or grab some cans of food. You can do this without a gym. I know you can!:flowerforyou:

that's what I did until I got hand weights.
  • amf017
    amf017 Posts: 1
    Options
    http://www.zuzkalight.com/workouts/- Zuzana's workouts will kick your butt AND most of them use body resistance only (no need for equipment) - All you need is a timer (smartphone - app store - free). She is the reason I have a "v" on my lower abs...
  • ananda403
    Options
    I've already been trying to lose weight for a year and I keep doing well for a week or 2 at a time and then falling off the wagon for a bit and just going back and forth.

I am eating healthy but I want to be in shape too. Skinny isn't everything if I can't go on a hike without trailing behind everyone all day!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

I am eating healthy but I want to be in shape too. Skinny isn't everything if I can't go on a hike without trailing behind everyone all day!

You still need to eat less to lose weight. A closed gym isn't really the problem here.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way about me and running outside in the cold. In the snow. In the cold and rain. In the cold and snow. Freezing temperatures. I just invested in some really good running clothes and like someone said before I really enjoy it. I have always had a love/hate relationship with running. It loved watching me hate it. But now I find it enjoyable (just over the last 7 weeks). Sometimes its about pushing yourself outside your comfort zone, or atleast it helps me =)

Omg no way am I that tough! Maybe I'll try outside this weekend when it's supposed to hit 40. Until then I'm donig 30 day shred inside and I think I'm gonna run stairs. I do have plenty of those! I think I have a new goal: make it all the way up to my apt only by stairs, all 22 stories.
  • abickford82
    Options
    Sounds silly, but...run in place. I lived on the east coast a couple years ago and had a treadmill at home, and we were out of electricity for 2 days on an ice/snowstorm. Might not help your training, but it'll help you burn calories.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    My preference was running outside, too, however.... I was all "gung-ho" about it until I tried it. it wasn't the cold - I was prepared for that, but the roads and sidewalks are dangerous. I tried it once in snow/ice conditions (I'm 8 miles outside of Pittsburgh, PA) - never again. It sounds weird & looks weird, but when all else fails, I jog around my house. While I'm drying dishes, I'll run in place - going from room to room, I'll jog. If we're watching tv, I'll run in place. I also have three floors which means three flights of stairs - sometimes I'll jog from floor to floor. Every little bit helps when obstacles get in your way!
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Log everything you eat, everything. Run in place, do floor exercises, do pushups, lift heavy objects, get creative. Use the stairs.