healthy lunch ideas for work?

Options
Any ideas for lunch that's easy to make but taste good except salads? I love avocado but I can never tell when it's ripe or anything. And how do you make it not turn brown and keep in fridge for a couple of days?

Replies

• yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I adore avocados eat 1/2 avocado every day! Go to Costco and buy the big bag. Dig way down deep and find a bag where they are all bright green and hard (so they will last longer). Sit one out on your counter. In a couple of days, sit another one out and repeat. When you squeeze it gently, and it's soft it is ripe. Wash it and cut it in half. Take the half with the pit (leave the pit in) and put plastic wrap on it. Press the plastic wrap down so it is touching every part of the cut avocado (this will prevent browning). Put it in the fridge. If it gets any brown on top, just gently scrape the top layer off and the underneath will still be green.

I'm really into soups right now. I like mixes that you just have to add water. Two of my favorites are Shore Lunch Creamy Wild Rice soup and Alessi Sicilian Split Pea soup (I order them from Amazon). They are very low in calorie, very satisfying and taste homemade. I also love spinach salad with boiled egg, Parmesan and raspberry vinagrette. Can't wait to hear others' ideas!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I usually take leftover dinner and warm it in the microwave.
  • pashn_98
    Options
    Love your idea about soups!!! And I am also a huge fan of avacados.

I have to say that I am not a fan of vinigerettes and had a hard time letting go of ranch or thousand island. SO in saying that I found a great alternative. I now eat light sour cream with my salads. It tastes great with any meat, chicken, ham, steak and it replaces the need for mayo on sandwiches. Also, by adding fruit to salads it makes everything so juicy. :happy:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My sandwich wraps don't take too long to make. Pull a wrap out of the package. Slap down some ham, turkey and a slice of cheese. Add a handful of baby romaine, roll it up and put it in a baggie or container. Done!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I love salads but don't want them every single day.......

Sandwich or wrap with a veggie side + fruit

Soup with a veggie side + whole wheat crackers (dependant on soup .....noodles or rice, then no crackers) + fruit. Many broth based soups are pretty low calorie. I like to freeze leftover homemade soup.....nice to have in a pinch.

Cottage cheese + fruit + whole wheat crackers

Re: avocado .....they have those single serve cups ....(I've read where) .... people use these as a baked potato topping. I like to use those single serve brocolli & cheese bowls served on a baked potato.......mmmm
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Why not oatmeal for lunch?
  • Kauczuk
    Kauczuk Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used few recipes from this website: http://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/inspiration/adult-lunchbox.html

Easy, delicious and for featured recipes you have all nutrition info that you need to track here :)
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my diary for some lunch ideas if you like. You can make a pretty killer sandwich under 300 calories, leftovers are also a great idea. As for the avocado, leave the pit in, It'll keep the avocado from turning. When I make my guacamole I toss the pit in on top and cover it with plastic, it'll keep for several days.

Rigger
  • krystaal870
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers! Wraps sound good I love buffalo wild wing wraps but can't eat there lol