Losing inches first before pounds?

Options
Has anyone else on here lost inches first before any actual weight?
From what i've read, usually people tend to lose weight from cardio and inches while weight training? Is that correct? Has anyone else experienced this too?

For the past 5 weeks i've only basically been doing cardio 6 times a week and i've lost 10 inches and pretty much zero pounds.

I've tossed the scale for the time being and am focusing just on measurments...

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Would you rather know that your car is getting 40 mpg or that it can get you from point A to point B?

Weight is a terrible way to measure health. Size is not much better. The best is body composition. If you're losing size, you're more than likely getting to a better body composition. Fat takes up more space than the same weight in muscle. So, you may be losing fat from your torso and legs and adding muscle to your legs.

You're right to say that most people lose weight first and size later. Much of that comes from the way most people approach diet and exercise. They start watching calories and slowly increase their physical activity. Diet is going to lead to fat loss. Since they are slowly ramping up the physical activity, the muscle gain (re-gained if lost through diet) comes later. It sounds like you've got a good program going.

I managed to drop 5 inches off my waist without losing a pound. A body scan showed significant fat loss and decent muscular gain. I hope to keep doing that to get to my body composition goal (<12% body fat). I could care less what my weight is when I get to that goal. You shouldn't care what your weight is, so long as you're getting to a healthy body composition.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I persoally don't know if I did...I tracked both at equal intervals..

I do know however that I have lost more inches then pounds since joining MFP which to me is great.

Weight loss comes from eating at a deficet...not the exercise.

The exercise is an added benefit of heart health, muscle retention etc.
  • Miss_james1990
    Miss_james1990 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I tend to lose inches before lbs! And that's how I like it I'd much rather see the results than just read them! :happy:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you're doing an exercise regime that's new to you, you sometimes find your muscles retain fluid as water transmits glycogen to restore stored energy and repair muscle tissue.

Keep up the good work, and your weight will join your inch loss in now time at all!
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    For my whole first round of P90X I lost maybe 4.5 pounds but a ton of inches.. about 4" off of my waist and hips (if not more can't remember) and everywhere else. The weight itself started coming off after that :)
  • nashvillenellie
    nashvillenellie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have noticed the same thing with my self. I have been on my weight loss program since Dec 17th. I did not want to wait untill the holidays were over to start. I have lost around 8 pounds. The inches seem to be more than the pounds. I am pretty pleased with that.
  • shawnakrebs
    shawnakrebs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    After my son was born I did Insanity. I lost maybe a pound the first month, but dropped from a size 9 to a size 5!
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    15 lbs down but only 0.5in down around my neck. :-/

Still, I feel like my pants re getting loser, which doesn't really make sense, since waist and hips measurements have yet to budge. Probably wishful thinking...

I have a ton to lose anyway.
  • ataylorgardner
    ataylorgardner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    yep Im in that category too. I did P90x last winter and lost 5 inches in the first month 3 of them from my waist. I never did lose any weight throughout the entire 90 days. Inches are good weight will come later
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to read this thread. My scale is not budging in the least bit, but I've lost a few inches. I'd just prefer to see both going down ;)
  • rella_1003
    rella_1003 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you're doing an exercise regime that's new to you, you sometimes find your muscles retain fluid as water transmits glycogen to restore stored energy and repair muscle tissue.

How long does this last for?
  • Nascha333
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this, i wonder the same thing too.
    It's been 5 weeks for me but at least there is progress...

-Thanks everyone for replying
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    When I tried starting P90X, and again when I tried started Insanity, I noticed that I would either lose a very minimal amount of weight or I would gain a small amount of weight in those first two weeks, yet I would start noticing a little bit of trimming in some areas.

When you are trying a new program, especially something physically demanding and strenuous, your muscles are trying to heal. In the effort to heal, your muscles are retaining water, and water isn't light.

If you are basing your success on the number on your scale, then good ol' fashioned biology is doing what it can to bring you down a peg.

As a note, I'm not a professional, and this is something that I paraphrased from a professional..........if I got anything wrong, please let me know.
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    My first 90 days of P90X I lost about 4.5 pounds only but a TON of inches. After that the scale also went down a lot :)