How long does it take to train for a triathlon?

Options
2»

Replies

• medavidcook
    medavidcook Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Might find this useful too - http://www.maccax.com/

Tri/Ironman training from Chris 'macca' McCormack.

The podcasts are quite entertaining :)
  • Arne_becomesxXx
    Arne_becomesxXx Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I don´t know, but I also try to finish my first triathlon this year.

So If you want to add me .... feel free :)
  • Hevenerk
    Hevenerk Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am also planning to do my first tri this year as well, actual three of them.
    My A race is going to be the Beach to Battleship 1/2 Ironman in Oct.
    I have run several 1/2 marathons in the past and am a strong swimmer and biker so this seems to be the next logical step (or insane time will tell).
    I am doing a few warm up races as I train for the A event, a Sprint as well as an Olympic.

I would love some friends to help keep me motivated on this journey as I go, feel free to add me.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice already. I would just add emphasis to the swim training especially learning freestyle and getting comfortable in open water.

To answer your question about whether it's doable I will ask you a question. Do you want to do it? I went from fat smoker to half Ironman in 15 months so I believe anything can be done.
  • Girlrose
    Girlrose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I definitely want to do it! I just don't have very much money to dedicate to swim lessons, personal trainers, etc. A gym membership will basically blow my budget, so I hope learning freestyle isn't too much of a struggle mostly on my own (with YouTube videos for help).
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Sprint distance! You can do it! Loads of good advice here already.

Two books that got me to the point of attempting to qualify for the British team for my age group (please note the word attempt), within two years of starting training..

Joe Friel the triathletes bible
    Swim smooth.. Incredible book and links to videos- I've really improved with it.

Have fun, it's such an adventurous and satisfying sport! Be prepared to get addicted!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I definitely want to do it! I just don't have very much money to dedicate to swim lessons, personal trainers, etc. A gym membership will basically blow my budget, so I hope learning freestyle isn't too much of a struggle mostly on my own (with YouTube videos for help).

Definitely check out Master swim groups in your area, that may be more affordable. You don't need personal trainer or gym memberships (unless its your only option for a pool) but it really helps to have someone evaluate your stroke and give pointers. Also check into a triathlon club. You may be lucky enough to find someone willing to mentor you.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    You'll want swim training. It's not like bike or run, you can't really muddle through it very well.
  • heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    For the most basic of swimming advice, I'd suggest this:

- Get on youtube and watch the speedo series of freestyle swimming. Get a training buddy to watch them too.
    - Take your buddy to the pool. You go swim. Utter the motto "stretch and pull". Relax. Concentrate on technique you saw in the vids.
    - Practice practice practice.

:-)

In two weeks using this method I improved 30% The rest I needed real help with. I'm still struggling with the alternate breathing pattern (i.e. breath every third stroke).
  • splixi
    splixi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am about to do the same.....

Having played a lot of waterpolo my strongest of the 3 would probably be the swim....

Then the bike

Then the dreaded RUN!