Traders Joe's is coming!! Why should I love it???! :) :)

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    You have to buy a basil plant... I put mine in a cute flower pot on my dining room table... I use it all of the time & so much cheaper than buying it at any store.
    Oh I definitely will! Thanks for the heads up :drinker:

if you let your basil plant flower then cut the flower with a couple leaves (then eat the leaves) then hang them upside down in a paper bag until they're totally dry, you can harvest the seeds and never have to buy basil again.

edit: heirloom varieties, obviously.
    =) TY
  • HealthyChanges2010
    :laugh:
    Two Buck Chuck is the bussiness!!! MMMM I do love it!
    :huh: Who's Chuck? and what business is he in?
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Trader Joe's is like the crazy candy store with tons of options that I would totally shop at if I had money. I'm more an Aldi's girl. TJ's is a look-don't-buy sort of place for us. Well, it was when we lived near one.
  • But you cant get the quality at Aldi's. Trader Joe's will save you money on high quality organic foods. If you want cheap processed foods with junk don't shop at TJ's.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    But you cant get the quality at Aldi's. Trader Joe's will save you money on high quality organic foods. If you want cheap processed foods with junk don't shop at TJ's.
    I'd rather be a TJ's girl from all I've heard from you guys:tongue: Besides I have no idea what an Aldi's is. Is that the cheap dollar store grocery store? Not sure I could eat food sold there (I'm a bit weird about food from someplaces). :sick:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    happy0192.gif
  • their chai latte is amazing mmmmmm.....
  • HealthyChanges2010
    You have to buy a basil plant... I put mine in a cute flower pot on my dining room table... I use it all of the time & so much cheaper than buying it at any store.
    Oh I definitely will! Thanks for the heads up :drinker:

if you let your basil plant flower then cut the flower with a couple leaves (then eat the leaves) then hang them upside down in a paper bag until they're totally dry, you can harvest the seeds and never have to buy basil again.

edit: heirloom varieties, obviously.
    OK was getting a bit worried since I hadn't heard anything about the store opening for so long. Just read it's due to open in December. Wooooo Hooo Pretty Happy about having another option to shop for healthier foods locally:drinker:
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    But you cant get the quality at Aldi's. Trader Joe's will save you money on high quality organic foods. If you want cheap processed foods with junk don't shop at TJ's.

If I could feed my family of 3 on $100-150 a month via Trader Joe's I would. Unfortunately, we're more on more of an Aldi/Kroger-budget. Quality means *#&$ if you're broke :wink:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Lunchmeat that isn't cured (added sodium), organic american cheese.

I haven't been looking at their meats and I didn't know they have uncured meats!! I'm definitely going to check that out next time.
    I forgot to mention the salsas! There's a nice little section of just salsas and they have Soooo much less sodium than the crap you find at the grocery store. A number of them have no added salt at all. And the sugars are low too.
    uncured meats! nice to know..thanks!!:flowerforyou:
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    No to Bulk. We leave that to Sam's and Costco. Sorry. Our prices allow you to buy in bulk though lol. the largest item we sell is dog food.
    No problem, thanks for clarifying :) Since I don't care for dogfood I think I'll stick to raw almonds instead:smokin:

That made me laugh so I hard I have tears in my eyes.
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    I love love love LOVE Trader Joe's. We've got them all over Atlanta. I haven't had a single thing from there that isn't good. I get most of the items mentioned in previous posts. But I also love the root veggies that are already cut up for me. I have 2 small kids, 2 yrs and 11 mos and it is so nice to be able to give them fresh veggies when I don't have all the time in the world to fight with a butternut squash or a rutabega to get it cut open after coming home from work all day. So I love those types of things. I love their frozen green beans. I've never had frozen green beans as good as theirs. And, not on the healthy side, but their vanilla wafers are seriously OUT OF THIS WORLD. The ones sold in the tubs. Wow.
  • Lucky! My husband and I are making our twice-monthly trek to our "local' Trader Joe's tomorrow (90 minutes away) so I can stock up on my essentials: baked organic tofu, humus, naan bread, masala simmer sauce, Beans So Green, and Grilled Eggplant & Zucchini Melange. My husband just goes for the Druid Circle cookies. :smile:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Lucky! My husband and I are making our twice-monthly trek to our "local' Trader Joe's tomorrow (90 minutes away) so I can stock up on my essentials: baked organic tofu, humus, naan bread, masala simmer sauce, Beans So Green, and Grilled Eggplant & Zucchini Melange. My husband just goes for the Druid Circle cookies. :smile:
    Thanks for the ideas! Never ever ever did we think we'd get one here either so we're quite excited!:wink:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    No to Bulk. We leave that to Sam's and Costco. Sorry. Our prices allow you to buy in bulk though lol. the largest item we sell is dog food.
    No problem, thanks for clarifying :) Since I don't care for dogfood I think I'll stick to raw almonds instead:smokin:

OMG! Only just now saw this:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :tongue: Too Funny!
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member

If I could feed my family of 3 on $100-150 a month via Trader Joe's I would. Unfortunately, we're more on more of an Aldi/Kroger-budget. Quality means *#&$ if you're broke :wink:

I wouldn' t discount Aldi's. Their owneship is connected to Trade Joe's:

"Welcome to Trader Joe's. About all this 210-store U.S. chain shares with Germany's Aldi Group -- besides being owned by a trust created by Aldi co-founder Theo Albrecht -- is its rigorous control over costs. But where Aldi carries such basics as toilet paper and canned peas, TJ's, as it's known, stocks eclectic and upscale foodstuffs for the wine-and-cheese set at down-to-earth prices." http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_17/b3880016.htm

Lorri
  • HealthyChanges2010

OMG! Only just now saw this:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :tongue: Too Funny!
    Hittin' up my new Trader Joes tomorrow so makin my list and checkin it twice by going through this awesome thread you all added too!:love:
  • I recently visited family in California (I live in Nebraska), and their entire kitchen is nothing but Trader Joe's stuff.

For a snack, my sister-in-law sliced pita bread and we dipped it in Trader Joe's roasted red pepper hummus. Even if you aren't a hummus fan, it is AWESOME, soooo good.
    Also, I hear they're pretty famous for their hams. We had one for Christmas and then used leftovers in scrambled eggs the next morning. It's got a sweet taste and it's super yummy!

I'm so jealous that you're getting one!
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    thankyou.gif for all your feedback Superman!! Finally made it to Trader Joes and loved the ride! I get over stimulated easily so taking it all in wasn't going to happen the first time so I went back another time. :tongue:

Hasn't been a thing I haven't loved at TJ's and the prices are simply fabulous! The bulk nuts are crazy low priced! The produce is gorgeous and where the heck can I find red peppers 2/$1? No where! I really love that place and am so happy they finally made it to our area! Healthy food/ low price...makes it much easier to eat healthy and enjoy it!2uge4p4.gif
  • traininglady911
    traininglady911 Posts: 39 Member
    Where are you located that you are getting a Trader Joe's? I, like you, have written and begged them to come to Denver. They told me the same...we are a west coast store. I was visiting in Wilmington, Delaware and they have a store!!! I can't believe that TJ's would avoid such a big market as Denver, CO. I'm thinking it is because wine is not sold in grocery stores here. There are a few grocery stores that are really pushing for wine sales, so maybe it will happen.
This discussion has been closed.