What do you say when people comment about your food?

Options
I was eating a snack yesterday, which wasn't the healthiest choice, but I had a lot of calories left and I really wanted it... so I ate it. Seconds into my first bite and I get the, "are you sure you're allowed to eat that with your diet?" comment. I was so mad for multiple reasons. 1: it's not a diet to me, it's a lifestyle choice. I am trying to change my lifestyle not go on a diet. 2: Just because I'm trying to lose weight doesn't mean I can't eat foods that I love to eat. So my response was, "I have the calories left, so yes, I can eat it." Then I continued to enjoy my food.

Is anybody else bothered when they get comments like this all the time?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    nope, because I know I will be getting shredded while they stay obese/get fatter..

Ignore it and keep going ..

People are natural aholes and can't help themselves…

I would of just looked up and started said person down and said nothing…that will shut them up real fast….acknowledging the comment just gives them power over you ...
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    "That's all you're eating?"

Makes me want to say, "You're eating ALL that?!"
  • ShellMarie35
    ShellMarie35 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

That's a good response too lol
  • ShellMarie35
    ShellMarie35 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    nope, because I know I will be getting shredded while they stay obese/get fatter..

Ignore it and keep going ..

People are natural aholes and can't help themselves…

I would of just looked up and started said person down and said nothing…that will shut them up real fast….acknowledging the comment just gives them power over you ...

that's very true.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I got both comments in one meal. I had a sandwich and fries but only ate 1/2 the sandwich and 7 steak fries. I guess they expected me to eat the whole sandwich and throw the fries out??? I eat what I want that is how I stay on track.
  • CulturedCowgurl
    CulturedCowgurl Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Good response....and another one would be _ YEP...you should try it.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I used to get comments...I don't anymore, b/c I was such a smart a** about it. Just roll your eyes and groan...that's as effective as flat out making a rude comment and takes less effort.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I don't talk about my food or weight objectives, and people don't comment on my food. Also, my food is pretty normal, so it would be a really boring conversation.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I used to get annoyed by them but after being able to successfully maintain for years I am used to it and if they keep asking just tell them it works for me LOL! I do hate it though when comments are even made though...
  • Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I usually just reply with a shrug and simple, "yup", and am left alone. Food for thought (my apologies for the pun): Most people don't ask about or point out your eating habits unless they're feeling uncomfortable about themselves. It's a projection of their own feelings onto you.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My mother and Hubs used to give me those "can you eat that on your diet" comments in the beginning. Instead of gettnig all worked up, I calmly replied pretty much the same way as OP, letting them know I was not on a "diet" but just watching my calorie intake, eating what I please and exercising to make up the difference. Had to repeat myself a few times but they finally got it and obviously what I was doing was working so that helped too.

The funny part with Hubs is he never questioned me sharing pizza and wings with him but only would question if I ate some chocolate or had some peanut butter. I took the opportunity to share info about healthier eating with him and while he's still stuck on the peanut butter thing (smh - it IS healthy) he's much better now about food choices. In fact, he commented recently on how proud he is that we're eating so much healithier now!
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I HATE people commenting on my food. It's usually to tell me how "good" and "healthy" I'm being, or how I could eat all of a big pan of cinnamon rolls and not gain an ounce, but I just wish they would stop looking at what I'm eating. I hate being the focus of attention, especially while eating lol. I am never rude about it to them though, I just brush it off with a cheery "Yep." or something similarly short and succinct that brings the conversation to an end.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    It's going in my body, not theirs so I don't really care what anyone thinks/says. I'm also the one working out at 5:30 a.m. while their lazy butt is either in bed or on the couch, watching TV and eating cinnamon rolls.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Don't say you are on a diet.
    Tell them that you are training.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I just tell people that I can eat whatever I want, just not all today.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i've never been asked about the food i eat. seriously i'm not on a diet so there's no reason to inquire about what i eat.
  • newladykb2016
    newladykb2016 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would take them off of looking at my diary. People are on different programs. I for one is counting calories and if I want something bad,it is me. I am the one to have to deal with it. They say eat something if you crave it. :smile:
  • ArtsyGarbage
    Options
    I went out to eat with my two best friends last night and my one friend recommended I try ~the salad! Grrrr! When I ordered my 1,000+ calorie meal she just kinda shook her head as if to say "pff, well I tried" and it just pissed me off so much! :explode:
    She's gained 20+ lbs and I haven't said anything about it because it's not my body.
    She would definitely get offended if I told her to get a salad, but because I've made it known I'm trying to change my lifestyle, it's like that allows for her to comment openly on my choices. Crappy double standard, but what are you gonna do.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Just tell them the calorie count in the whole meal...

Then add...anyone that eats that many calories in one meal...will eventually have weight problems.

Look at it as a way to not only shut them up...but an educational moment.
  • ashleymarieboyer
    ashleymarieboyer Posts: 1 Member
    Options

haha, perfect.