55 and tired of feeling "old"

Options
Greetings! I'm back to MFP and would like to really make this work this time. Six months ago I took over a bar/restaurant where food and drink are plentiful and exercise consists of grocery shopping, chopping onions and mopping the floor. I need to make time for me! I'm on cement all day and it's making my body hurt. If I wasn't dragging around all these extra pounds, I'm sure I would feel a whole lot better. I look forward to hearing all the "I did it and you can too" stories from people from my generation.

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    50 here, and have lost 50 lbs in the past 16 months. I feel 10 yrs younger already, and still have 30 more to go. It isn't easy at this age, but it is definitely worth it.

BTW, can you use the rubber mats in your kitchen? They help a lot on cement floors.
  • larnsperger
    larnsperger Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I turned 55 yesterday, and it will be 2 years in May since I started here. I've lost 30+ pounds and have successfully stayed within the 10lb goal range I set for myself in December 2012. It was much harder to lose the weight, which I'm sure was due to slowing metabolism and menopause. It is very doable! I takes more time, but so worth the wait. As for exercise, walking has always been my go to routine, since I gave up running over 15 years ago. I also did some cross fit training and I found that too strenuous, my current obsession is Pure Barre. I love PB it is hands down my favorite. It is pricey. You can do this!!!! Even if you begin with one small change, and consistently add new changes in, before you know it you will find yourself lighter and healthier.
  • jsophiethomas
    jsophiethomas Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 57 and a nurse. I've a bit overweight all my life. I have lost 13 kgs over the last 2 years and put about 3-4 back on. In my work I see very clearly how overweight is related to a poor quality of life in old age. I love, my job, walking and dancing and want to carry on doing them as long as possible. I am hoping that this thinking will get the last 10kgs off and succeed where simple vanity has failed!
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and kicking the butts of the young guys at the gym! In 2010, I lost 45 pounds. I also started exercising regularly. I now compete in powerlifting, take karate, and do two boot camp classes a week. All this with menopause, a spinal issue, and a lung disease.

Really, it can be done. Be consistent with your logging and hit your nutrition goals, and the weight will come off. You do have to be patient, as it can take a little longer at our age, but the payoffs are worth the wait! Do what you can, rest when you need to, and the rest will take care of itself. NEVER let age hold you back! Good luck!
  • Yakinnw
    Yakinnw Posts: 15
    Options
    Impressive!
  • Yakinnw
    Yakinnw Posts: 15
    Options
    I just joined here, but I can tell you that loosing 40ish pounds makes a big difference even on damaged knees.

I am 54 and what I've found is that eating more or less "clean" makes a HUGE difference in the way I feel too.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    52 here and lost 50 lbs , I feel like 25 !!! The pounds off sure helped :) . YOU CAN DO IT !!
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I am 50 and I have lost almost 100 lbs. and it has really helped me get around better. My knees don't hurt quite as bad and neither does my back. You won't believe how much better you will feel.
  • Homecgull
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you - just getting back to MFP after a couple of years. Today the scale said 199, and I am only 5'2" so it's time to get serious!

Thanks, everyone, for the inspirational photos and stories.
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Well I am 59. At my heaviest I was 260 LBS. Currently I am 180. I hit my goal of 168 and decided that was to light. Focus, motivation and execution of a good plan wins.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Lost 30 pounds two years ago and am still within 8 lbs. of my goal weight now.

Its not about just weight though, its about body fat as thats as important as weight.
    Im now on a mission to get my body fat percentage to 21% or less.

I am also going to the gym three times a week and look and feel great. Oh, and Im 60.

Its not as easy as when I was younger of course but it can be done.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I'm 55. Everyone add me, I'll join you in your efforts.