guilty

Options
Im new to watching what i eat. its very hard but im taking day by day. today i ate some homemade bread, after i felt so bad. not sure if thats good. feeling guilty over some bread sucks but i think it may help me say no next time. staying within or under 1200 is a job.

Replies

• ScorpionQwean
    ScorpionQwean Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    You need carbs in your diet - yes bread is bad but next time this will help you remember when you reach for it. I prepare all my daily meals on Sunday. THAT has helped me 100%. Break down each day and prepare each meal (along w/ portions) and bag them, refrigerate them, and if you work - grab them each morning. I can't believe how this helped me.

If you need a "comfort" food - try a sweet potatoe and keep those next to your breads (if you have bread in your house)....
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    yes bread is bad

Wrong. No food is bad.

OP, unless you have a medical condition, you can eat bread and any other carb you wish to. You probably don't need to be restricted to 1200 calories either, but without knowing all your stats I can't really say what a good calorie goal would be for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants

Read this link. It has a wealth of info in it to get you started the right way.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think we have all been there at some point so its pretty normal. 1200 calories is a really hard goal to keep though, I speek from experiance on this one. It might be worth upping your goal to 1/lb per week settings if you are new and find it hard to stick to your limits, then bump it back down when you start getting more used to dieting and figure out some tricks or techniques that work for you. My motto is I want to get my results, but I also want to enjoy the life I am living right now too, so it becomes a bit of a compromise.
  • ArtsyGarbage
    Options
    never let bread, or any food for that matter, make you feel guilty! I bet that homemade bread was absolutely delicious. Watching what you eat doesn't mean restricting yourself so much that you feel guilt and anxiety over eating certain foods. I'd say just use moderation and eat healthier foods most of the time. 1,200 calories may not be enough for you, too. MFP is a little wonky. If you're really struggling to keep around 1,200, you probably need to raise your calorie goals.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I understand, the bread calls to me as well. I do find that it makes me retain water but as far as actual weight gain, as long as I am not doing this more than once a week I burn it off at the gym.
    Another thing that i have gotten into the habbit of is eating a small serving of popcorn if I crave bread. Not sure what the macros are but I don't feel guilty, bloated, sluggish the next day etc. also, 1200 calories is on the low side unless you don't work out at all and are very small. Is this a random number or what the MFP recommended? From what I have read on this site, people who ate less than 1200 calories had trouble losing weight.

But really if it works for you, go for it!
  • tegalicious
    Options
    Wait....bread is bad? Why is bread bad? What did the bread do to get in trouble? Does the bread need to go to time out?

Okay. Seriously now. Food is not good/bad/evil. It is food. It doesn't have morals. Unless you are allergic to it or have some medical reason not to eat a certain food item, just work it into your calories and eat at least 1200 calories a day.
  • girlsjustwanna13
    girlsjustwanna13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Up your calories, lose the weight a little slower but NEVER feel guilty about eating any food!!!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    yes bread is bad

Wrong. No food is bad.

OP, unless you have a medical condition, you can eat bread and any other carb you wish to. You probably don't need to be restricted to 1200 calories either, but without knowing all your stats I can't really say what a good calorie goal would be for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants

ding ding ding! You win!

I find that thinking any food is "bad" is not a healthy way of thinking about food. If the bread made you go over your calorie goal, no worries. Just do some exercise to burn it off or start fresh again tomorrow! :flowerforyou:
  • tegalicious
    Options
    yes bread is bad

Wrong. No food is bad.

Also, this ^^
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Bread alone? why not make some homemade peanut butter and jelly and make it a yummy sandwich?

but like everyone above, bread and carbs are not evil. you just have to watch out how much you eat.

try going on here: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ find out your macro to know how much carb/fat/protein you need =)
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    yes bread is bad

Wrong. No food is bad.

Mia saves the day again!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Mia saves the day again!!!!! :flowerforyou:

Lol, let's not get crazy :wink:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you've never run before, would you go out and try and run 8 miles in your first day? no. then why, if you've never watched what you ate before, would you restrict your calories so much??

my advice to you is to enter your MAINTENANCE calories, and try and eat just a bit below that. i bet you'll still lose some weight. and in a week or two, drop do to losing a pound a week or something.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Bread is not the enemy, however, anyone that I have ever know to eliminate bread, pasta and processed sugar from their diets, felt incredible within a few weeks, had more energy and lost weight. They weren't even counting calories. Take it slowly, don't beat yourself up and when you are ready in a few months, try a challenge of one month no bread, then try no processed sugar and see how you feel. Good luck!
  • dgraboski
    dgraboski Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I too am at 1200 calories and find it quite challenging at times. I sit down and make a meal plan for the week the night before I food shop. This helps me know in advance what my meals will be. I try to snack smart ie: fruit, nuts, cottage cheese, baked chips, popcorn, pretzels, granola bars and protein shakes.

I also find that a daily workout not onlu helps me stay within my calorie range but distracts my mind and the craving I may have caved into has disappeared.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    Bread is not the enemy, however, anyone that I have ever know to eliminate bread, pasta and processed sugar from their diets, felt incredible within a few weeks, had more energy and lost weight. They weren't even counting calories. Take it slowly, don't beat yourself up and when you are ready in a few months, try a challenge of one month no bread, then try no processed sugar and see how you feel. Good luck!

Maybe because eliminating high calorie processed foods created a calorie deficit....
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is too little.
    Bread is good.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    I ate 560 cals of bread today out of 1810 cals target. My carb goal was 55 - I had 38 / my fat goal was 30 - I had 38 / my ptn goal was 15 - I had 25.

Will I still lose weight!

Did you stay within your calorie limit for the day? If yes, then yes. If no, then did you stay within your calorie limit for the week? If yes, then yes. If no then maybe you will not lose as quickly. Not sure without knowing your other stats.
  • SexKittenlovesitrough
    Options
    Im new to watching what i eat. its very hard but im taking day by day. today i ate some homemade bread, after i felt so bad. not sure if thats good. feeling guilty over some bread sucks but i think it may help me say no next time. staying within or under 1200 is a job.

how is feeling bad and guilty working for you?

making you feel fantastic and all super shiny while you rock that weight loss eh?

yeah...didn't think so.

Here are some things I have learned, its the same bit of stuff other people have said on here...

Bread is good. Especially home made bread. That *kitten* is the BOMB. The trick is moderation and knowing when to stop.

But seriously, talk about goodness in every bite.....people used to eat homemade bread all the time and didn't get overweight. they also didn't eat more than their allotted calories. Which as a society we have gotten used to.

Work it into your diet. Maybe sacrifice the cream in your coffee for the day, or work out a bit harder for it...but if home made bread (the BOMB seriously) tastes so good and you love it, then why not find a way to work it in.

finally. 1200, I don't know your deets, or your numbers but that's seriously low. I wouldn't say it's too low for you because for all I know you happen to be one of those special snowflakes. But most people who do 1200, it's too low for them, makes them miserable and almost guarantees they will fail. So if you can, maybe think about switching it up and moving those calories around a bit, try a higher number, your loss may be a bit slower but it will still be a loss and you won't be miserable.

Cause seriously...homemade bread? It's the BOMB.

so worth it.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options

how is feeling bad and guilty working for you?

making you feel fantastic and all super shiny while you rock that weight loss eh?

yeah...didn't think so.

Here are some things I have learned, its the same bit of stuff other people have said on here...

Bread is good. Especially home made bread. That *kitten* is the BOMB. The trick is moderation and knowing when to stop.

But seriously, talk about goodness in every bite.....people used to eat homemade bread all the time and didn't get overweight. they also didn't eat more than their allotted calories. Which as a society we have gotten used to.

Work it into your diet. Maybe sacrifice the cream in your coffee for the day, or work out a bit harder for it...but if home made bread (the BOMB seriously) tastes so good and you love it, then why not find a way to work it in.

finally. 1200, I don't know your deets, or your numbers but that's seriously low. I wouldn't say it's too low for you because for all I know you happen to be one of those special snowflakes. But most people who do 1200, it's too low for them, makes them miserable and almost guarantees they will fail. So if you can, maybe think about switching it up and moving those calories around a bit, try a higher number, your loss may be a bit slower but it will still be a loss and you won't be miserable.

Cause seriously...homemade bread? It's the BOMB.

so worth it.

I'm going to go directly against my mother's advice and say that you should listen to the Sex Kitten.