any one try or eat a Paleo diet!!?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've been eating this way for a few years now. Like anything you have to commit to it. Some people say that it isn't doable and then use the cliams of eating a percentage paleo as confirmation that it doesn't work long term. But, in any way of eating it is true that you will only adhere to it a certain percentage. Take someone eating nutrient dense foods as their "plan". When they decide to have pizza or ice cream, then they aren't really eating nutrient dense, so they are what 90% on plan? 75%?

I disagree...I know vegans and vegetarians who are 100% vegan and 100% vegetarian...they aren't vegan or vegetarian sometimes. They've committed to that lifestyle. I also know Paleo/Primal eaters who have committed 100% to that lifestyle (few and far between)..but most paleo eaters I know seem to pick and choose when they want to be paleo and when they don't and they just sorta loosely follow it and claim to be paleo. For the most part, I think it's a fad that will pass with time...it's not like being a vegetarian or vegan or something.

My eating primarily nutrient dense foods has nothing to do with an eating plan...it has everything to do with my nutrition. If I'm getting my nutrition and hitting my macros and micros and getting all of my vitamins and minerals, there is nor reason not to have pizza. Pizza has nutrients...so does ice cream...there is nothing inherently evil about these foods in a properly balanced, nutrition driven diet. If I've met my nutritional needs, I do not get extra credit for eating more broccoli...
  • jcast92
    jcast92 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love this response! Mirrors my opinion on the matter.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Many of my friends have tried it and liked it. I just started a few days ago. I'm not much of a meat lover, though, so that's a bit of an issue.

Why do paleo if you don't like meat?
  • nancyl8198
    nancyl8198 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I consider myself primal because I do allow some dairy into my diet. I like to do a lower carb approach because I tend to gain weight quickly when I eat higher carb foods. That doesn't mean that that I don't eat fruit. You asked for recipes, I have lots of them. Feel free to add me. Check out the following blogs for great recipes:

Nom Nom Paleo
    PaleOMG
    Paleoplan.com
    Everday Paleo
    Elena's Pantry
    Stupid Easy Paleo

Good Luck! I think it's worth it!
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I used to. Something about it simply did not agree with my digestion. I have no idea what that "something" was. All I know was that I was *ahem* on the toilet exceedingly often. Also, I've never had a problem with either dairy or gluten, so cutting out either didn't make a whole lot of sense. I really don't know what about cutting OUT foods made my intestines go haywire, but oh well. They're normal now. Also, I missed peanut butter. I missed it so much.

It's also worth mentioning that the paleo diet tries to recreate what very early man ate. Most of those plants and animals don't even exist anymore, to say nothing of the variance in personal diet between individual paleolithic peoples. And cutting out dairy if you're not sensitive to it makes little sense to me. You can give just about any mammal cow's milk and they will happily drink it and enjoy it. The only reason they normally don't drink milk is because they haven't figured out the whole mechanics of how to get it.
  • Homemaker57
    Homemaker57 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Three pounds of almonds in a sitting is NOT paleo. ;) Just so you know.

why not...almonds are "Paleo approved" Besides, the point is that my buddy overeats...despite the super awesome magical powers of the Paleo diet, he's obese.

Just because the food item is one of the food items in the paleo way of eating, doesn't mean eating three pounds of it is paleo. Paleo is based off of the concept of "eating what the cavemen ate", right? Nuts, like fruits, were not consumed in massive quantities. They were found in small natural quantities occasionally - we're talking pre-agriculture here. So they are paleo, in moderate amounts.

Paleo isn't a group of foods it's also about balance. Fruit is paleo, but eating huge fruit salad at every meal is not paleo.

Edited to add: I get that you're saying your friend overeats, which seems to be true. But overeating isn't part of any diet I know of, and certainly not a caveman diet. Paleo isn't magic because gluten is evil, it works when you do it right.
  • lonestar45
    Options
    I have been eating Paleo for about a year now, I had a hypothyroidism condition and that has been resolved within the last year! Also, I have increased energy levels, virtually no sugar or fat cravings, i never get that "stuffed" feeling, and "bad" food sounds so unappealing now. Ah yes, and the dramatic reduction in cellulite and unbecoming bloated look and feeling. My doctor is impressed with my improvement. Upon a recent continuing education conference she said she learned that the Paleo diet can greatly decrease risk of cancers, basically, everything eliminated with the Paleo diet creates a perfect environment for disease in general. Another note, Paleo eaters have increased fertility rates! Best decision iI have made in my adult life.
  • JLBurke1
    Options
    Tried it and put on 20 lbs. Just not for me I guess
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Looking for other people who eat a Paleo diet for new recipes!!!! and the benefits its had on your body.

I tried it and had negative effects. As an endurance athlete, I need a lot of carbs and paleo just didn't deliver the energy I needed to keep going for 6-8 hours at a time.

I'm sure it would be great for body builders or sedentary people, though.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    My relatives did paleo and primal diet. They are all dead now though...

Billsica, not sure this sort of response is necessary. I noticed on other posts, you tried to sway others to another diet lifestyle. So is this what you are resorting to now? Claiming your family members died eating paleo? really?

Your relatives ate paleo too and are also now deceased. :wink:
  • Paleohawk
    Paleohawk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I already tried this and had good results from eating Paleo Diet. Let me list my results: More energy, Less starvation. More clear thinking. Nice sex drive. Less gaseous bloatings. My daily walking routine became very easy. Hard workout became very easy because I am able to endure. Able to life little more weight. Slowly lose my body fat. Less illness I usually got from eating the grains. Good news from my doctor--numbers of bad cholesterol are low than he used to see.

Negative ones: bad breath--have handy toothpaste and brush available. Especially after heavy garlic-marinated meat.

That's all I had experience and still recommend this diet to anyone when they asked about my--I don't like the words--weight loss. All I see is like the vampire stared at the cross when I mentioned the Paleo Diet, and also got many bad mantra from them: too high cholesterol or too much fat in diet. Bad for your heart. Whatever they think they believe in as the truth.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Many of my friends have tried it and liked it. I just started a few days ago. I'm not much of a meat lover, though, so that's a bit of an issue.

Why do paleo if you don't like meat?

Why would paleo include a lot of meat?
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Looking for other people who eat a Paleo diet for new recipes!!!! and the benefits its had on your body.

I tried it and had negative effects. As an endurance athlete, I need a lot of carbs and paleo just didn't deliver the energy I needed to keep going for 6-8 hours at a time.

I'm sure it would be great for body builders or sedentary people, though.

What?! Professional athletes (basketball, football, Olympics, etc) are doing paleo and or some version of low carb like nutritional ketosis.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1151964-kobe-bryant-and-lakers-team-on-paleo-diet-reports-examiner?hl=Kobe#posts-17969712
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    US news just released a report of the best and worst diets...as evaluated by "experts". Paleo finished dead last in the ranking....
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    What?! Professional athletes (basketball, football, Olympics, etc) are doing paleo and or some version of low carb like nutritional ketosis.

You need to stop posting that same crap over and over again. Those athletes are still eating hundreds of grams of carbs per day, and are absolutely positively NOT eating by any meaningful definition of "low carb".
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    US news just released a report of the best and worst diets...as evaluated by "experts". Paleo finished dead last in the ranking....

I read this too, it's sad how many people follow it...
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

US News is obviously full of h8ers.

anyone know where i can get a jar of snail snot for my salad? #paleo4life
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I'll eat a Paleo, but only if he's hot.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options

That report is obviously crap - how anyone could justify that Atkins, for example, is better than Paleo makes no sense. They have a similar weight-loss strategy (low-carb, though Paleo isn't necessarily LC), but Paleo puts emphasis on real, nutrient-dense foods when Atkins puts emphasis on their frankenbars.

They just see that Paleo is turning a lot of heads so they feel they need to exaggerate to scare people from doing it.

Honestly, how can a diet where you eat a ton of vegetables, lean meats, fruits, nuts, and seeds possibly be the worst diet out there? What on earth is 'unhealthy' about that?

People just don't like hearing that their 'healthy whole grains' should be avoided and they take it personally.

Anyhow, I've been doing it for a while and really enjoy it. Like most here, I'm not religious about it. I'll eat some pizza and have a beer every once in a while; I'll eat cake on my birthday if someone makes me one. But in my every day life, I stay away from grains and I do much better when I do.