Calorie allowance change... what?

Options
I'm familiar with having daily my calorie goal changed when I lose/gain weight, but this time it was a little extreme..

I gained a bit of weight over the holidays (of course) and I was just trying to log in what my most recent weigh in was, which was about a 4lb increase. I expected my calorie goal to go up by 30-40 calories, but it went up by 260! Has this happened to anyone else? I didn't change anything else about my stats at all or my weight loss goals, so I'm really confused and now I'm not sure which is closer to being right. I looked up my TDEE and I feel like either one COULD be right, I'm just not sure why MFP would suddenly decide to change it on me.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You probably entered something different the first time - activity level? Goal?
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    You probably entered something different the first time - activity level? Goal?

Pretty sure not, my current weight was the ONLY thing I changed. I did try to go back and see if I had actually changed something else, but couldn't find anything different than it was before.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I saw in another thread that MFP changed their formula slightly - so if you change anything it uses a newer formula now. But I have no idea which thread I saw that in - it was sometime within the week.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    So, it wasn't just my account! I asked my friends list and no one else experienced this, but my target calories went up by 250. It was kind of nice as I'd always wondered why they gave me so little (1580 for an active woman trying to lose half a pound a week?), but now I don't get the satisfaction of watching my BodyMedia add another 500+ to their estimate. :frown:
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Okay, good to know! I wasn't sure if it was some kind of bug or something that I was experiencing or what. I do wonder though how using a different formula could give such drastically different numbers.. I guess we were all eating way too little before?
  • Sea_Witch
    Sea_Witch Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me too but it wasn't by that much. Every 5 pounds I redo my goal (with the same info) so it will adjust my calories accordingly. But when I did it recently, it raised it by 75 calories. I didn't change anything else. Stupidly, I left it alone and used the new number. Since then my weight loss has slowed down a bit. I felt paranoid that maybe I had entered something differently before. So this morning, I decided to do it again. And guess what? It raised my calorie allowance again. I KNOW there is no way I can lose weight eating what it says now. It's too much for me. I just redid it manually to 50 calories lower than a number I know was working.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have body media and I put in an increase and it bumped me up almost 400 calories.. (then adjusted MFP down 100???) I'm so confused.

But i'm just gonna keep aiming for at least 1600. As that seems to work and it's my BMI anyway.