be nice:-) dont everbody freak out on me just a question

Options
theres a new fad goin on about coconut oil and coconut oil supplements suppose to be alot of health benefits includin helpin wit weight loss...whats yalls opinion?

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I would like for someone to explain why a concentrated calorie source helps with weight loss...
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that it helps you lose weight, but it can be used as part of a healthy diet. And by diet, I don't mean a "no thanks, I can't eat that because I'm on a diet" kind of diet.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that it helps you lose weight, but it can be used as part of a healthy diet. And by diet, I don't mean a "no thanks, I can't eat that because I'm on a diet" kind of diet.

yeah,I use it for cooking sometimes, and sometimes I just eat it by the spoonful like peanut butter when I'm in the mood.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    theres a new fad goin on about coconut oil and coconut oil supplements suppose to be alot of health benefits includin helpin wit weight loss...whats yalls opinion?

It's an oil.

Meaning it's pure fat.

Treat it like any other fat.
  • SexKittenlovesitrough
    Options
    i enjoy the flavor it adds to my cooking and baking.

it's a great alternative oil source...

and I love the smell of my hair and skin after I use it on my body too....

but if you are asking if it's magical? nothing is magical short of hard work and smart eating.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Don't quote me on this, but the only thing I can see it contributing to weight loss is that is has a lower caloric content than if one were to use olive oil, for instance. It is also supposed to have antibacterial properties to it, but that has nothing to do with weightloss.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

yeah,I use it for cooking sometimes, and sometimes I just eat it by the spoonful like peanut butter when I'm in the mood.

I put it on toast, and then I stick my finger in the measuring spoon and get what's leftover and rub it into my hands. Is that weird?
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options

Eeewwww! Really!? I am pretty sure I couldn't do that...
  • KellyJannine
    KellyJannine Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    it has health benefits... but it won't change your weight loss if you take the oil you already use and replace it with coconut oil. it will just be an even swap!

I use coconut oil.. but not for weight loss :)
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    i want to try coconut oil for cooking.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    <<-- Tried it recently in a recipe. This is the result.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I use it a lot for cooking - not for some miraculous weight loss benefits but it it is healthy, has a high smoke point, and has a nice taste.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

i use it as a skin moisturizer.. I rarely eat it..
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it seems to have picked up steam in the last few years with paleo style eating, but coming from a caribbean background we always have been into coconut oil for cooking certain recipes, using on hair and using as a skin moisturizer.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I put it on toast, and then I stick my finger in the measuring spoon and get what's leftover and rub it into my hands. Is that weird?

no- I keep a separate container for my hands/hair/face. It's awesome for your skin and hair. I actually have had a container in my bathroom for years- I had no idea people cooked with it. That's a recent thing in the last 2 years or so here.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Well, that was some interesting internet searching! The only reliable (?) source that I saw come up was a WebMB article and they wisely pointed out that pretty much all claims for weight loss and the like didn't have substatial evidence to back them up at this time.