Intermittent Fasting- 16:8

Options
124»

Replies

• RAGGEDYANN1970
    RAGGEDYANN1970 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about doing IF, but I've been reading that women should be cautious when it comes to fasting because it can lead to hormone issues and irregular periods.

http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature

Any women who have done it experienced anything off?

forgot to comment in this area on my previous post. i had a hysterectomy last year, so i have no idea how it would affect a woman's cycle.
  • livy222
    Options
    its my 5th day of doing 16:8, and i find that im more alert and focused at school & im starting to actually listen to lectures haha. BCAAs are my go- to definitley! sometimes it takes me 2-3 hours just to sip on water + a scoop of BCAA. they say to have 10g before, during, and after a morning workout (fasted). but i find that COSTLY! So i drink half a scoop before a 10 min. hiit run/agility workout, and a scoop at school (8am-10am) then its already time to eat a snack! So in conclusion, NO youre not starving yourself, youre just eating more of youre needed calories later in the day (make sure you do that or you will be hungry the next day lol) Have a Great Day!
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I did it, and believe it or not...I started to dream more vividly at night. Not scary dreams but just dreams...lol Oh and I lost weight.
  • chiasports
    Options
    glad to see this post!!! look forward to many sharing there experiences.

its a new diet for me but I'm loving it so far. I'm watching weight coming off consistently yet i still feel great!

the hard part i think is to find what 8hr window works the best for you.

good luck everyone !! check back and update you're progress.

i usually weigh around 275..was excited to see 267 on scale today!!!
  • chiasports
    Options
    bump
  • baptistforlife
    Options
    Today I did a bit of research on Intermittent Fasting and I am thinking I will follow 16:8 method as I am not a breakfast person and can stay without food until lunch. Taking into account that currently I am doing P90X any opinion will be highly appreciated. Thank you!

week 7 day 5 of p90x and 16:8 love it!!! It does not matter when you eat your calories just make sure you get them in!!! I feel wonderful I find I drink so much more water and stay out of my kitchen so much more!!! I love IF I cannot say enough good stuff about it!!! I also do not eat breakfast so this is wonderful for me :) Good luck and let us know how you do with it!!!
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of 16:8 until now. I use 5:2 from time to time though. So I went and looked it up and guess what...I'm doing 16:8 without even realizing it. I'm not a breakfast person and I really enjoy having a nice big dinner so I had just tailored my calories to be eaten at that meal. It was all about creating a diet that I thought I could enjoy over the long term (lifestyle). So as it turns out, my lifestyle is 16:8! :smile:
  • kmb1282
    kmb1282 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    bump- trying to learn more before committing.
  • mikeroybal
    mikeroybal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for about a week now and have not noticed a decreace in energy and have lost almost 2 pounds. I am doing a 16/8 but I eat from 7-3 since I wake up at 4 to start my day. I have not had a problem with it so far.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I've done 16:8 more often than not for the last 2 years. Works nicely for me as a way to keep calories low.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about doing IF, but I've been reading that women should be cautious when it comes to fasting because it can lead to hormone issues and irregular periods.

http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature

Any women who have done it experienced anything off?

forgot to comment in this area on my previous post. i had a hysterectomy last year, so i have no idea how it would affect a woman's cycle.

I feel like Martin Berkhan (generally regarded as *the* IF guy), recommends that most women do 14/10 instead of 16/8.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I feel Breakfast is necessary because body is starving the whole night....metabolism may slow down if body is deprived of food for a very long time IMO.

Yes, but a " very long time " is months on end......:o) and not 12-18 hours.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Today I did a bit of research on Intermittent Fasting and I am thinking I will follow 16:8 method as I am not a breakfast person and can stay without food until lunch. Taking into account that currently I am doing P90X any opinion will be highly appreciated. Thank you!

I am a volume eater. For me this means that I like a plate full of food to feel good. Also due to age ( 66 ) and height ( 5'11.5" ) even for .5 pound of weightloss a week, I can only eat 1200 calories....which btw is fine with me.
    In order to maintain the " plate full of food " and because I discovered after eating breakfast for more than half a century that I feel better without it and also can control my caloric deficit better, I started in May 2013 eating according to the 16:8 method . Sometimes it's an hour off , but I never eat a meal before 2 pm and after 10 pm, mostly so my food intake does not interfere with my sleep.
    I have done well, feel satiated, have since May last year not needed/wanted a cheat day or meal, have no cravings to speak of and have only gone over my calories a handful of times anywhere from 100-200 calories. All in all, it's working out great for me and I plan to stick to it......and even though I am no longer young, have RA and no thyroid and take 200mg of Cortisone each day, I still have lost just over 45 pounds in the last nine month.
    I am absolutely aware that IF methods do not cause weight loss by themselves, but feel that the fact that they help me to maintain my calorie deficit in an easier way, allows me to stick to my plan without much suffering.

ETA: I also eat almost exclusively whole foods and have all my life.....:o).
  • mermaidalive
    Options
    I am 5'5", 35 yrs old. I have be IF for over a year and love it. I commercial fish in the summer and on the off season I do weight training about 4-5 times a week. I love working out while in a 'fasted' state, if one can really call it that. When I used to eat an early breakfast, I found I was hungry way more than I am now. I start my day with coffee and water .. and eat around 1:30 - 2 pm. I travel often and love the fact that I no longer freak out over 'meal times'. If I can't eat for a while, then no big deal. If my stomach growls, it usually only does so for a moment or two and then I'm fine. Or I'll have some water. I started at 142 lbs and lost 20 lbs this way. I will never go back to thinking I must break-my-fast first thing in the morning. Good luck with whatever works for you!!
  • mammakat0830
    mammakat0830 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love love love the 16:8...been doing it for a while and works well to help me keep in my calorie goals and not feel deprived in the evenings.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    ????
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AllieLosingIt
    AllieLosingIt Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I realized a few weeks ago that my personal eating style matched what IF is, so I guess I've been eating this way for years, I was just eating way too many calories before. I work overnights (12am-6am) and find it inconvenient to stop to eat, so I drink water instead, workout for an hour around 6:30am and then sleep until 4pm-ish.

I do an 18:6 or 17:7 version (depending on hunger cues, some days I wake up feeling famished, some days I have to force myself to eat by 6pm), where I eat all my calories (1400-1800/day) from 5pm-11pm or 5pm-12am and I've lost 23 pounds since I started tracking/logging a month ago. Granted, results like this are probably not common at all, I just have a LOT of weight to lose so it's falling off easier right now.