Ketogenic Diet and Intermittent Fasting Pros and Cons

Options
sahill314
sahill314 Posts: 71 Member
Are there pros and cons to going into ketosis and intermittent fasting once a week for weight loss?

Replies

• FattyFeast
    Options
    I think it's usually twice a week that's recommended for the intermittent fasting. You should watch this documentary on intermittent fasting by Michael Mosley:

It's very interesting, and he explains the health benefits very well.

I did it for three months last year though and, whilst I lost weight the first month, it didn't do anything for me after that. Actually I put some back on, despite eating the same! Confusing.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Cons: Restrictive, Offers no fat loss benefits holding protein and cals constant

Pros: Might be able to hang with IF and low carb zealots and regal each other with anecdotes
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Not really because it will boil down to how it impacts your overall diet adherence. IF is beneficial for me, but not because of special properties... because I like to eat big meals post workout as opposed to carrying 8 tupperware containers of food with me to work.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    IF is beneficial for me, but not because of special properties... because I like to eat big meals post workout as opposed to carrying 8 tupperware containers of food with me to work.

This. I practice daily intermittent fasting, and there is no magic to it. You are barking up the wrong tree if you think that alone will help you lose weight. You still have to eat at a caloric deficit over time. However, IFing does help with adherence for me because of the reasons mentioned above ... I prefer to train fasted, and I prefer to eat larger meals, and it is more convenient for me to do those things by waiting until the evening to eat. Those are the ONLY reasons I do it.

I do think carb cycling has some benefits for people who are already lean and trying to get leaner, but a full-blown ketogenic diet is not something I have any interest in, so I can't help you there.
  • sahill314
    Options
    everyone please add me sahill314 and check out my diary. i know its a little high in protein right now and i need to get my fat up more, but i have not ifed yet but am planning to do it soon. i have gone from 191.6 to 186.8 in 3 days while doing high fat low carb keto diet and doing p90x3 doubles. i have a scale that measures my weight, body fat percentage, muscle mass, bone density, and water weight. the only thing that has dropped is my bodyfat percentage, i have actually gained a small amount of muscle and bone while keeping water the same. is this losing weight to fast?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Not really because it will boil down to how it impacts your overall diet adherence. IF is beneficial for me, but not because of special properties... because I like to eat big meals post workout as opposed to carrying 8 tupperware containers of food with me to work.

completely agree with this.

if there is a pro to either, its just that it happens to be a style of eating that is easier for you to adhere to or is otherwise more satifying.

Although, the super low carb diet is very effective at eliminating water weight, and for that property it can have its uses especially for a body builder in contest prep or even a boxer wanting to make weight.
  • Gmajodster
    Gmajodster Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • LeonMT
    LeonMT Posts: 4
    Options
    I agree with most replies. IF and LC diets have no magic behind them. Either would probably be more effective for you than for someone who is actually overweight. It's all about calories, period. The 5:2 diet is very popular these days, but the claims are very deceptive. If you overeat on your non-fasting days as most people do, you will not lose weight. Low carb/keto diets have dismal success rates because of the extreme difficulty in adhering to them.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    people get caught up in the idea that ketosis 'switches your body to burning fat as the main fuel'.

i'm sure thats true.

But you will still only burn BODY FAT at the rate at which you create a calorie defecit, same as any other diet.
  • sahill314
    Options
    i think i can sustain my high fat low carb diet and intermittent fast once a week. i dont think loss of glycogen can explain 5 pounds and a significant drop in body fat percentage.
  • leketchup
    leketchup Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Pros:Satisfaction, Comfort, No worrying about meals (hitting calories 4 hr window) Usual IF benefits
    Cons: Not that I know of
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Pros: (I don't IF but I've been in ketosis for 2 months) Lose stubborn weight, feel more full, lots of energy. I've lost 30lbs in about 10 weeks. 7lbs of that was water weight. As far as IF goes, I know people who do it, and your body adjusts. You might decide to do it all the time.
    Cons: Can't eat high-carb crap. Is that a con? Not really. Food is fuel. Good fuel is better. Keto-fare is good fuel.