What do you say when people comment about your food?

Options

Replies

• ShellMarie35
    ShellMarie35 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    These are some great responses. I get comments from family members almost constantly so I'm definitely going to take some of your suggestions. Thanks for all the replies :)
  • shoesforme
    Options
    I have many "nay-sayers" from extended family to friends about my choices. I tend to be a smart-*kitten* as well, and tell everyone that I will lose weight on these foods.

Its hard, but when you know what you are doing - try to ignore the comments. Mind you- there may be a tendency for others to bring you down with them......
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I love talking about food, so I bore people to death if they have any comments. :smile:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I only get, "But surely you can't eat THAT and still lose weight?"

I always answer the same. Sure, I can. As long as I eat fewer calories than I burn, I'm fine. I knew I was going to have this slice of pie/piece of cake/scoop of ice cream/slice of pizza and planned it into my day. If I hadn't known in advance, and I decided I wanted it anyway, I'd just lower my calories a little for the next day or so to compensate. No big deal.

Before, I'd get the look of disbelief and either silence, or lectures on fad diets.

Now that it's pretty d*** obvious that what I'm doing works, I get the look of disbelief followed by "how are you tracking calories? A web site? How hard is it? Takes you 5-10 minutes a day? I think I'd like to try it. What's the URL? Can you show me how to set it up?"

:laugh:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Now that it's pretty d*** obvious that what I'm doing works, I get the look of disbelief followed by "how are you tracking calories? A web site? How hard is it? Takes you 5-10 minutes a day? I think I'd like to try it. What's the URL? Can you show me how to set it up?"

I don't know about you...but the next phase after that one is always "OMG that site is WAYYYY too hard, I don't get it" or "I entered a slice of pizza and it came up with like 3 different possible amounts"

and then..."I think I'm going to do these shakes, it's only $140/month that is less than $5 per day"

LOL
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    "That's all you're eating?"

Makes me want to say, "You're eating ALL that?!"

Today at lunch my coworker said "WOW, you're eating ALL that for lunch?"

Oh no! I just brought it to look at. :noway:
  • pacsqueen
    Options
    I get that all the time and my standard answer is "Really, it seems to be working for me so far!" Then i smile as i take my next bite and walk away.

Amazing how people think they are being "helpful" when they are just being jerks.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I had a waiter laugh at me for ordering so much food one time. *****, I eat once a day and I worked out hard today, you're damn right I'm adding four slices of turkey bacon, an extra fruit bowl, and 3 extra pancakes with that meal. I just gave him a pissy look.
  • pacsqueen
    Options
    shut up.

BAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA! I'll have to remember this one. :o)
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    "That's all you're eating?"

Makes me want to say, "You're eating ALL that?!"

Good response....and another one would be _ YEP...you should try it.

I get the "that's your lunch" comment all the time because I only eat chicken and steamed veggies at lunch. And I normally say..."yeah, and it is delicious too!"

:grumble:

I get comments all the time at work. "I know you won't eat any, but you want a cupcake?" Why'd you ask? :huh:

"I don't know how you eat all the food. That's a lot of food (when it is only veggies and chicken)." Well, because I'm an athlete. I train like an athlete. I eat like an athlete. Which would be LOTS of good for you food.

I get some other creep ones too sometimes. People are stupid. Ignore them.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

I don't know about you...but the next phase after that one is always "OMG that site is WAYYYY too hard, I don't get it" or "I entered a slice of pizza and it came up with like 3 different possible amounts"

and then..."I think I'm going to do these shakes, it's only $140/month that is less than $5 per day"

LOL

*Snort*

I'm sure that's coming next. I only got bombarded over Christmas when I ran into people I hadn't seen in person in months. I kept saying it's a bit of a pain in the *kitten* for a couple of weeks until you get in the habit and have a history of recent foods to search, but I'm thinking that was in one ear and out the other.

On the other hand, a couple of family members also signed up. They won't be pulling that with me, or they know I'll give them crap every chance I get. Besides, I'm an on-call MFP helper for them. :laugh:
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I usually just reply with a shrug and simple, "yup", and am left alone. Food for thought (my apologies for the pun): Most people don't ask about or point out your eating habits unless they're feeling uncomfortable about themselves. It's a projection of their own feelings onto you.

I agree! When my coworkers comment on my "daily" salad--- I say "it's the same salad I eat everyday." After that they walk away and leave me alone. I don't understand why people get amazed with "healthy choices" when they should be amazed on how much fat they are eating at their daily fast food joint. I eat the same food just about every day--so that my dinners can be fun--in hopes to satisfy the husband and his appetite

I seriously had a waitress utterly confused when I asked for the salad dressing on the side. It came with it on it (after she said sure, she'd put it on the side) then when I complained, she asked how the order was wrong because she was confused. Like really? Why is being healthier so freaking hard?

It is like NO ONE else in the world is ever healthy.

One time at Subway I had the guy ask me FIVE time what kind of cheese I wanted. My reply at first was, "No cheese." He asked, "NO cheese?" I said, "No cheese." He turned to the next guy and passed down my sandwich and said, "No cheese." The next guy asked with infliction, "NO CHEESE?" The other guy shrugged his shoulders and said, "No cheese." At this point, I wanted to slap people! Like wtf!!!!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I was eating a snack yesterday, which wasn't the healthiest choice, but I had a lot of calories left and I really wanted it... so I ate it. Seconds into my first bite and I get the, "are you sure you're allowed to eat that with your diet?" comment. I was so mad for multiple reasons. 1: it's not a diet to me, it's a lifestyle choice. I am trying to change my lifestyle not go on a diet. 2: Just because I'm trying to lose weight doesn't mean I can't eat foods that I love to eat. So my response was, "I have the calories left, so yes, I can eat it." Then I continued to enjoy my food.

Is anybody else bothered when they get comments like this all the time?

Yeah, it really used to irk me. Especially coming from an overweight friends, who would then sit next to me at a work lunch with 4 extra servings of salad dressing on the side. If I was as rude as her, I would have said something. But because she is fat and I am thin, *I* am not allowed to make such observations without being labelled a 'hater', while she is free to comment about my food choices and imply that they are unwise.

Double standards.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I sneak to the break room during work hours so I can weigh my food without anyone seeing me.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    "Yep, gotta hit the calorie goal." If they ask for more, I just tell them why.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I just tell people that I can eat whatever I want, just not all today.

Love this
  • MzFyreKitty
    Options
    I always figure that what people eat is their business. I definitely (Now that I have lost well over 100 lbs) would look at what my old friends (who are still heavy) eat and say anything. I use to be in the same boat and while I want the best for them too... it's up to them to decide when or if they will do the work to get it done. I still occasionally have things that are "bad" for me too. Nothing wrong with it. I'm not on a "FAD" diet, I don't and won't cut out complex carbs or eat an all fat diet (I'm vegetarian tho because I don't like to harm animals but that' is my decision and many of my friends are not vegetarian).

Next time your "Friend" is eating something bad, ask them the same question... see how they like it? :) LOL
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    I am vegan ...and I get a lot of ignorant rude comments about my food

I deal with it by telling them off or not even responding just glaring smh smh smh smh :mad:
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    If it meets your needs and you are happy with your choices, who gives a flying. It's your body and your choice.
  • endlesswonderr
    endlesswonderr Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I get the complete opposite comments. Most of my friends/family encourage me to eat pizza/chocolate/whatever else wouldn't be deemed 'healthy' and say negative things about my normal food diet.
    I think you should just ignore it, though. You're doing what is best for you and your health, and if it's making you feel good then people have no right to have their input and make you feel down!