Fitbit Flex

2»

Replies

• So I'm left handed please tell me what hand, getting a little frustrated
    keep in mind that if you swing your arms doing any sitting activity it tends to pick up on that a step hence wearing it on your off arm. For example if I swipe my arm back and forth rolling a ball of yarn it sees that as me walking. In addition, if you hold on to the arms of a treadmill while walking it will not register the steps you are taking accurately. Just a couple things I have learned. Don't get frustrated this has a learning curve, but it is worth it.
  • JBnyc99
    JBnyc99 Posts: 100 Member
    Another Fitbit thread! Gee, I wonder what will follow here shortly? Oh yeah, "I love my Fitbit! It changed my life..."

So on and so forth.:glasses:

What's your point?
  • Cheers

Another Fitbit thread! Gee, I wonder what will follow here shortly? Oh yeah, "I love my Fitbit! It changed my life..."

What's your point?
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Setting it on your non-dominant hand increases sensitivity (otherwise, saying you took more steps than you actually did) ...setting it on your dominant hand decreases sensitivity.

You can update the setting on your dashboard under device settings.

*ETA: I personally have mine set to my non-dominant hand as the device is pretty smart on not picking up subtle moves like typing, writing and such.
  • pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    So I'm left handed please tell me what hand, getting a little frustrated
    keep in mind that if you swing your arms doing any sitting activity it tends to pick up on that a step hence wearing it on your off arm. For example if I swipe my arm back and forth rolling a ball of yarn it sees that as me walking. In addition, if you hold on to the arms of a treadmill while walking it will not register the steps you are taking accurately. Just a couple things I have learned. Don't get frustrated this has a learning curve, but it is worth it.

I am left handed too, I wear it on my right and set it to non-dominant, it works fine. If you are left and are wearing it on your left then change it to dominant. I'm not sure in this day and age, now that we all don't write very much that there is much things left we only use our dominant hand for anyway so it's probably not terribly important. But you can understand if you did use the hand it was on to write a long letter how it might think you had gone for a very long walk.

Try it out the way you want and see for yourself how accurate it is, and if you are using it to give you calorie credit just make adjustments for in your head for any not so reliable readings ? Right ?

Good luck
  • Right I've put it on my left hand and that's my dominant hand

Right or wrong ?
  • pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    Right I've put it on my left hand and that's my dominant hand

Right or wrong ?

That is fine. Just in your settings make sure it is set to dominant and it will change its sensitivity to match.
  • Mellyajc
    Mellyajc Posts: 142 Member
    When I was researching I thought their webpage encouraged wearing it on the non-dominant hand. From what people are saying here, it wouldn't surprise me if it's more accurate for righties than lefties (as a lefty, my non-dom gets more use than a righty's, since I cut and mouse with my right..)
  • Yep I only use my left to write
    When I was researching I thought their webpage encouraged wearing it on the non-dominant hand. From what people are saying here, it wouldn't surprise me if it's more accurate for righties than lefties (as a lefty, my non-dom gets more use than a righty's, since I cut and mouse with my right..)
  • Yep done that
    Cheers
    Right I've put it on my left hand and that's my dominant hand

Right or wrong ?

That is fine. Just in your settings make sure it is set to dominant and it will change its sensitivity to match.
  • zacksnana
    zacksnana Posts: 3,230 Member

I got mine for christmas! I LOVE it!!! I walk over 6 miles per day now.

It changed my life. :drinker:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    That is your BMR from midnight. It takes your BMR based on your weight, gender, etc... and adds that in every 15 minutes I believe and then if you do steps in between it adds them on top.

Even though you have not had it on then you have burnt at your BMR since midnight and that is why you are seeing 1000.

Each morning when you wake up you will also have accumulated calories burnt from your sleep even though you will likely have zero steps.

(First time poster here but have a fitbit FORCE)
    Yep. Even without the flex you burned those calories. :-)
    It takes some getting used to, and takes some tweaking to work well with MFP but it's awesome.
  • Sabine_Stroehm

I love my fitbit! It changed.... well... it allowed me to see my steps!
    :flowerforyou:
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member

Exactly! :drinker:
  • Sabine_Stroehm

I do love the danged thing. It's fabulous.
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member

I do love the danged thing. It's fabulous.

I have one too. But...oh, never mind ;)