Career-driven fitness pals

Options
Hi,

I'm looking for fitness pals who are in a boat similar to mine: trying to get ahead at work and get/stay fit. It's tough to balance the stress from work, and also the time crunch makes it rough, particularly in winter when it's dark and cold outside when I leave for the office and when I get home.

So, who here works at a desk at least 8-5, with at most a 30-minute lunch break, is extremely driven professionally but also struggling with weight?

Do you manage to get to the gym and cook all healthy meals without breaking the bank? What do you do when the work stress hits? What do you do if you don't have time to go to the gym and don't have the willpower to just eat a salad after a long day?

Please add me to share tips and motivate each other.

Thanks!

Replies

• 1RBelle512
    1RBelle512 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • vijaynarayanan
    Options
    Hi,

I completely agree with you that we need to gain a balance. I am an investment banker and there are only day starts, mettings, wining, dining clients, work load etc... I managed to find a gym that opens at 5 am and closes 12 am, not a very swanky one but solves my purpose to pop in at wee hours...

Vy:wink:
  • ThePinkPenguin
    Options
    I'll send you a request. I'm trying to get into a competitive industry (sports) and my current job requires eight-hour days, but untraditional hours (like 4 p.m.-midnight) and I only get a half-hour break. Not to mention that some women that work in this business are practically gorgeous, so I feel a lot of pressure to drop the weight and look a certain way! (No, I don't want to be on TV, but the whole look good thing is definitely in my face and I notice it a lot.)
  • ravenzwart
    ravenzwart Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    He, I totally know what you mean. I work in government and do overtime every week and so when I am not working I just want to relax...I fell of the wagon a few months ago because my life only existed of working and no me time.
    So I have promised myself that I will get back on track and try to find some time to work on myself.

My plan is:
    I plan my meals according to my week, so easy and quick meals during workdays, yes it's more calories but then I am able to keep up.
    My exercise regime is minimal, I try to take a short walk during lunch and I walk with friends once a week. Between that I fit in some yoga (also to relax my mind).

If you like you can add me and maybe we can help each other out!
  • ananda403
    ananda403 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It's tough. I was wondering if I was the only one. It seems like everyone I know has no problem getting to the gym after a long day at work. I haven't found a balance yet but I'm trying to prepare meals when I do have time so I have healthy things to take to work and such. I run my own business and I do everything. Some days I'm at the computer all day and some days I'm in the shop cutting up tires (www.ringswings.com) which is hard work but doesn't really keep me fit. If I don't get up in the morning and work out before all that it does NOT happen. And I'm not a morning person. Just have to make time for yourself and remember why you want it badly enough to go the extra mile!
  • Kerrygirlinmaldon
    Kerrygirlinmaldon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have some long days and often bring work home at the weekend.
    I am putting myself first as I need to be fitter in order to deal with job stress.
    I put gym appointments in my diary at the start of the week and per programme them into MFP I find it really makes me think twice about changing plans.
  • SeattleJill
    SeattleJill Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I'm an assitant to the Chair of a complicated surgery department, and manage their fellowship program, the interview season is begining for us. I get pulled 25 different ways daily, get an hour for lunch, but spend that hour at my desk eating and working. I take 4 hour long dance classes a week after work, and I usually end up packing a dinner to eat on the way to class, or on the way home from class. Dinner ends up being whatever I can eat ona bus, with my hands, that doesn't look or smell gross to other people. Which usually ends up being chicken breast peices, cheese, and cucumbers, or a protein drink. It's not very exciting. I try to make up for it by making something awesome on the days I don't have class. Or making a really fantastic salad for lunch. The temptation to stay late after work to catch up is almost overpowering sometimes. Do I come in early and sacrifice sleep? It's not everyday, but some days I feel like I have to choose between work (and my professional reputation in terms of being able to be timely and capable of super human feats) or my health. I made the resolution that I would be choosing health this year, and saying no more often. I've been sucessful 8 days in, but ask me again in a month lol. But my reputation for superhuman feats has opened a lot of doors for me in this job, I'd hate to loose that. I'm starting to have the feeling that I won't be getting 8 solid hours of sleep every night int he next couple of months. Sigh. The question is, how do I have it all, the way I want it? lol
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I know just how you feel. I work nonprofit. So, in addition to having busy/long days, I also do this work for less money than most. Budgeting/planning meals, working out and making the most of my free time with my husband is super-important.

I plan our meals every week and always make sure to cook enough for lunches the next day. It's so easy that way!

Also, as a Christmas gift to each other, my husband and I got a few gym pieces for our basement - squat rack, bike, dumbells...etc... - so that we can cancel the memberships at our gyms and have more quality time together at home (it was OK when we worked out at the same gym, but about a year ago he joined a powerlifting gym and we didn't get to see each other often).

I'll add you!
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,894 Member
    Options
    Like you all, I sit at a desk 8-5. and sit in my van driving to and from work 22minutes each way (when traffic and the weather is ideal). I guess I'm not really struggling with my weight (anymore) because I do the following:

get up early (5:30-5:45am) workout to my DVD's 45-60mins.
    put my shake in the blender, turn it on and hit the shower while it blends
    get out of the shower, turn off the blender
    quickly get dressed, return to the kitchen and put my shake in a 'to go' mug and put it in the freezer.
    Finish getting my hair done, teeth etc.
    Get my bags for work and my lunch.
    Grab my shake and eat it while driving to work.

At noon, I have been squeezing in a 15min walk
    After I get home I try to do another 15min walk (either step ups, or on my elliptical, or a few mins. of a DVD)
    Then I work on supper (run around the kitchen!)
    Eat supper.... and while putting it away, plan my dinner for the next work day.
    Put my dinner for the next workday in my lunch bag
    relax....unwind....go to my childrens functions(ages 14 and 16).

Does it take work to get in shape, yes.
    Do I log my food. I have been, since Jan 1. Off and on prior to that.

I'd love to be buddies and share ideas.
  • Marymoe138
    Marymoe138 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I am also in the same boat. I work from home but working full time, with a husband, a child and a dog that all demand attention, it get's frustrating sometimes. I would love to motivate you and help you meet your goals. Feel free to send a message/add me!
  • m0mofw4r
    m0mofw4r Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yup! Same here!

I found and subscribed to several really great healthy food / healthy mom food bloggers and started a collection of recipes using an recipe box tool. So now, it takes about an hour each week, but I sit down select what recipes I want to make and it creates a schedule and a shopping list for me and I just stick with that. It's really nice because if I know I'm going to have a late meeting or a super early day I just plan accordingly!

Workout wise - I do the same as some of the ladies mentioned above. I schedule my workouts like a meeting and that helps me a lot.

Full disclosure: I have totally fallen off this awesome plan for several months and it has really caught up with me. It works though - time to get back on it.

Good luck!!!
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,894 Member
    Options
    The last post from Jill reminded me, yes, cooking and having healthy recipes is a MUST.
    One resource I have recently aquired is called "The Anabolic Cookbook". It has been awesome and is full of recipes that not only are quite simple, but easy to prepare and don't take a ton of my time. It also includes a great 'breakfast' and Dessert section
    Dessert is my downfall, but - having a selection of healthy alternatives (besides fruit and carrots!) has helped tremendously!

And, not that I don't love my shake, but sometimes a girl just needs a piece of chocolate cake...that is healthy too!
  • Julibug86
    Julibug86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Saw the topic of the thread and felt compelled to respond. I often feel this way, not knowing when people are able to schedule work outs! I guess the answer is the morning (not really the answer I like!), but that can be so tough when it is so cold and dark out. On top of my work schedule I'm also a part time grad student, which means that twice a week I go to class from 4-7 pm and then two other days I work late to make up those hours. Fridays are my only "normal" day where I work 8:30-5. I love the idea of booking a workout session like it's a meeting. My Outlook calendar is my best friend, so this is a useful tip!