Ladies looking to start lifting?

Options
Hi,

Any ladies out there interested in starting to lift?

I've always been a runner, never a weight lifter. I'm ready for a new challenge and would like to start lifting. Anyone with me? I was considering starting a new group, specifically for us ladies just starting out. I've read posts in other womens lifting groups and I do not (yet) understand all the lingo and concepts. In order to start a group, I would need a few people already interested. Let me know if you'd like to join me!

Those of you ladies who are already where I'd like to be, any tips on getting started?

Replies

• simbersea
    simbersea Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I just started, but I would be interested :)
  • melancholyjen
    melancholyjen Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I dread lifting, but know I need to do more of it. Count me in.
  • fattpantts23
    fattpantts23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    :smile:

I'll have it up by tomorrow: "Ladies, Let's Lift!"
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    i'm in!
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I'm just coming back from a shoulder injury and just got cleared to start lifting again. I'd love a beginner group!
  • sschneider1202
    Options
    I'm in!!!
  • emmygreen21
    Options
    Count me in!!!
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I prefer lifting over cardio any day of the week, but I am looking to bump up my weights and start putting on more lean muscle.
  • Corpsebride81
    Corpsebride81 Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I would quite like to start lifting but have no clue where to start so I'm in :) anyone got any pointers x
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm all about it! I have started lifting recently, not so sure how to do it all.
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I did strength training before with great results and am familiar with the exercises, but am just re-starting after a long time away from the gym.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested. I do some lifting now, but really want to bump it up.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm interested. I can't say I'm "just starting out," but I could probably help others. :flowerforyou:

As for getting started, check out the books Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting, and Mark Riptoe's Youtube videos on lifting form (even if you don't understand all the lingo yet, form is very important, and you can at least follow the pictures).
  • dizchic77
    dizchic77 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would be interested. Thanks.
  • AusAshMommy
    AusAshMommy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Count me In! I just hit my 1/2 way point and am looking to maybe start lifting as well!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I suggest joining a group if you do not know what you are doing. Those ladies do and you will gain valuable knowledge reading the posts and will soon learn the lingo.

That's how I learnt. Groups are great - but how will you learn if everyone in your group is new to lifting?

I'd join a group and start a new thread for newbies starting out - best of both worlds :bigsmile:

Good luck with your lifting goals. I'm starting 5x5 this week - I highly recommend the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, even if you don't follow the programme it is full of information. :flowerforyou:
  • Kerrygirlinmaldon
    Kerrygirlinmaldon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I have just started, did first workout Sunday with trainer, was still sore/stiff this morning! Lol
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'd like to give it a try!
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    My lifting adventure started off with Stronglifts (SL). I really enjoyed it and got good results. I would recommend it to any ladies new to lifting because it's pretty simple and straightforward :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

ETA: Friends of mine have also done New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW). I don't have a link for that but I'm sure you can find a lot of posts in the forums about it!
  • PatriciaDC
    PatriciaDC Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do alot of running too, and my 2014 goal was to start lifting! I'm in with you!!