Women: Life & exercising after a hysterectomy

Options
Ladies, I need your help -- I am trying to weigh my options on what surgery I should undergo for my fibroids issues that I am having and I was seriously thinking about a hysterectomy. I've heard contradicting stories stemming from your s#x life changes :angry: that you can go through menopause early and have a lot of hot flashes :cry: or even that you have uncontroallable mood swings :cry: and last but not least.....weight gain because of the hormone imbalance that comes with having the uterous removed :sad: :sad: :sad: So can you ladies that have undergone this surgery share your post condition/experience was and help me make a better decision? Thanks!!!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Ladies, I need your help -- I am trying to weigh my options on what surgery I should undergo for my fibroids issues that I am having and I was seriously thinking about a hysterectomy. I've heard contradicting stories stemming from your s#x life changes :angry: that you can go through menopause early and have a lot of hot flashes :cry: or even that you have uncontroallable mood swings :cry: and last but not least.....weight gain because of the hormone imbalance that comes with having the uterous removed :sad: :sad: :sad: So can you ladies that have undergone this surgery share your post condition/experience was and help me make a better decision? Thanks!!!

I haven't done it...but thought I was going to have to a while back due to the same issues...

This is what I found out.

Sex life shouldn't change...no early menopause and no weight gain...

That is for a partial one...that only takes the uterus...not the uterus and ovaries.

My own mother had a partial in her early 30s, as did my aunt and my grandmother all due to the same issues and my mom who is now 62 just went through menopause...normal age.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

If it's for fibroids, you should be able to keep your ovaries and not have the problems you mention. They usually stem from hormone problems when the ovaries are removed. I had a hysterectomy in 2005 for 7 fibroid tumors and endometriosis and it was a great decision. i haven't had hot flashes, lost my sex drive, or started menopause. In fact, I had pretty miserable PMS prior to the surgery and the moodswings and crying from that all went away afterward.
    My SIL and a friend both had complete hysterectomies, and the symptoms of which you speak do plague both of them, because their ovaries were removed.
  • anwylyd_un
    anwylyd_un Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You will only go through menopause if your ovaries are also removed, having fibroids gives you the option of keeping the ovaries. The uterus itself produces no hormones, so should not cause mood swings. It can have an effect on your sex life - for one thing you will no longer have the pain of fibroids, and you will also not have the heavy bleeding affecting your energy levels. That said, having personally had everything removed, my orgasms are different but still there. It's kind of hard to explain and not something I would go into in a forum posting.

If you do opt to have your ovaries removed, there is a bit of trial and error with hormone replacement to get your balance right, but once it's there you should find that it has no positive or negative effect on weight - it's just replacing what you should be making anyway.

Speak to your gynaecologist - there are other options for fibroid removal, including myomectomy (surgical removal of fibroids only) and uterine artery embolisation which blocks the blood supply to the fibroids so they shrink.
  • momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I had a hyst. for fibroids about 2 years ago and I don't regret it for even a moment. I was able to keep my ovaries so no issues with menopause symptoms. As far as sex, exercise, etc...well, lets just say I have a lot more energy, no worries about pregnancy = great freedom, and I have never been in better shape then now. Good luck!
  • trinity5703
    Options
    If you are having a hysterectomy for Fibroids as I did, they take only the uterus and leave the ovaries intact. Its the ovaries that produce the hormones so its not going to kick you into menopause. You will be sore for a quite a while, you wont be able to lift much (as the doc told me... nothing heavier than a coffee cup) for a few weeks (No carrying groceries, picking up the kids etc) but thats more than doable. I'll be honest, it was the BEST thing I EVER did for myself.... and pssssssssst. (whispers in her ear) the sex rocks thank you very much!
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies for your response. About 5 years ago I did have a myomectomy but the little fibroids that they left behind grew once the larger ones were removed. I was weighing if I should have another myomectomy, just to look up and 5 years later they are back, or have the partial hysterectomy and be done with it. I'm 41 and I have 1 child. I doubt if I will have another child.
  • crystalbuchholz1
    crystalbuchholz1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had my uterus removed last year but left in the ovaries. I am 27 and had to have it removed due to fibroids, endometriosis and severe period cramps. I did l lose my sex drive but that's about it. I don't have problems losing weight. I've lost 66 lbs since June 26th. No mood swings, It's actually better because I don't have to deal with the monthly pain of the periods. I love not having to go through that. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies for your response. About 5 years ago I did have a myomectomy but the little fibroids that they left behind grew once the larger ones were removed. I was weighing if I should have another myomectomy, just to look up and 5 years later they are back, or have the partial hysterectomy and be done with it. I'm 41 and I have 1 child. I doubt if I will have another child.

me personally was looking forward to it...sad I know.

One poster spoke of the freedom...no ToM...no worry about pregnancy etc...I was doing a happy dance because of all my issues...

turned out my mirena fell down, not out down after 2 years...frigger....:grumble: :noway: :grumble: :noway: :grumble:
  • sad0711
    sad0711 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had my hysterectomy about 15 years ago because of fibroids. I still have my ovaries, so right now I am having some hot flashes and night sweats, but I am in my 50's. It was the best thing for my problems and I am glad I did it. No regrets. Good Luck! :)
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    If you are having a hysterectomy for Fibroids as I did, they take only the uterus and leave the ovaries intact. Its the ovaries that produce the hormones so its not going to kick you into menopause. You will be sore for a quite a while, you wont be able to lift much (as the doc told me... nothing heavier than a coffee cup) for a few weeks (No carrying groceries, picking up the kids etc) but thats more than doable. I'll be honest, it was the BEST thing I EVER did for myself.... and pssssssssst. (whispers in her ear) the sex rocks thank you very much!
    THIS IS WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR!!!!!
  • spookyjo
    spookyjo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I had a total hysterectomy in 2009 because of fibroids.

Tbh sex got loads better as the fibroids made me bleed for 3 wks out of each mth, it was a terrible time before.

No problems with weight gain.

If you do decide to go for it, beg and plead them to cut you arcoss your lower stomach and not up and down like they did to me.

My fibroids weighed in about 5lb hence the big cut.

The scar is worth all that pain and mess though.

You won't be able to lift so much as a kettle for a week. Make sure to take time to recover.

I was back at work in 12 wks, i recovered pretty quickly.

I've not had any negative results from the op at all. Best decision i ever made. I got my life back!!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • STLBADGIRL
    Options
    I have an appt on Tues to discuss these options. You all are so helpful and giving me insight about a big decisions. Now I feel like I'm educated and can ask proper questions..... Thanks for sharing your experiences.
  • imdawn
    imdawn Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had partial (Superacervical hysterectomy) just couple months ago at end of November, cause my periods lasted literally 4-5 weeks at a time.

I do not regret it AT ALL-the ONLY reason I gained weight was because PRIOR to surgery I did nothing (never had energy) and just ate junk I put on prolly 25 lbs last year. The surgery itself doesn't make you gain weight.

I do not regret it AT ALL...and happy to report you'll be fine in the other department ;)