Any large males running?? Need Advice!!!!

Options
Im currently 6'1 388 and am starting a run/walk program to eventually run/walk a 5k and then run the entire thing. Any advice/opinions like what works for you and what doesnt and how to make it easier. Also any advice on shoes, clothing anything like that helped/hurt you would also be appreciated.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    We're the same height, and I started running at ~275. Just make sure you take it SLOW. Something like C25K is great, and it's totally acceptable to repeat each week.

The key factor for success will be....SLOW.

Good luck, buddy!
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Consider something lower impact until you lose about a hundred pounds or so. You don't want to tear up your knees.

I suggest cycling.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Consider something lower impact until you lose about a hundred pounds or so. You don't want to tear up your knees.

I suggest cycling.

Pretty much this. At your weight doing virtually anything high impact, including running, will more than likely damage the knees in the long run. Stick to low impact until you have lost a fair bit already.
  • scot30316
    scot30316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted for shoes. You'll spend 100+ on a pair of shoes but your body will thank you.
  • SunOfMan
    SunOfMan Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I started with stationary cycling because I had a lot of problems with my feet. Maybe start with that and ease your self into more weight-bearing workouts?
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'2" and was 300lbs. Like others have said, go low impact to start, your knees will thank you. I started with lots of walking and as time went on I increased the distance and tempo, now that I am under 250 I have started running more regularly. Before I began running I started biking more and more often to help build endurance and cardio, I use a stationary bike now that it's winter.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Im currently 6'1 388 and am starting a run/walk program to eventually run/walk a 5k and then run the entire thing. Any advice/opinions like what works for you and what doesnt and how to make it easier. Also any advice on shoes, clothing anything like that helped/hurt you would also be appreciated.

I started C25K when I weighed 320. It's good that you're starting out walking and running. I walked exclusivly for 4 months before I tried C25K. Take it slow, don't try sprinting for at least 60 days.

Shoes, and other stuff to wear is going to be a personal choice. I wear a size 17 shoe and have an Asics trail shoe and a Mizuno road shoe. Find as much stuff with wicking material as possible. It may not be apperant at first but the first time you get sore nipples and blisters on your feet you'll understand.

Knees? If you feel your knees are up to it, go for it. My knees got stronger the more running I did. But becareful not to over train. I only run 3 days a week, and try to never run on back to back days.

Good Luck, just take it one run at a time and listen to your body.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Some advice:
    get some chamois butt'r, and butter up those thighs. Invest in good shorts. Invest in good shoes, but don't be afraid to experiment. (I used to get hellish shin splints in the "best the running industry offered", spent a couple years in vibram five fingers, and now I can pretty much run in anything.)
    Get an HRM and use it.

Realize that there will be good days, and bad days, but as long as you're trying to get better, you'll get better at it.

Good luck.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Start by doing leg presses, slowly build up to the point that your press weight = 1.5X of your body weight, then slowly start add it to .25k per time and slowly build it up, once you can leg press 2.0-2.5 times your weight, you can run. I am not nearly that big, my biggest was 213 lbs and I'm 5'9, Now I'm 166 and leg press at 410 lbs and I can now easily run a 5K just for a warm up. Took me about 6 months to get there.
    Happy New year and good luck.
  • AquabearGO
    AquabearGO Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hey. thanks for the great advice!! I was kind of depressed thinking I couldnt do this, being so heavy, but you have inspired me to try it. I like the idea of just walking at first before running. The program is for walkers and run/walkers, so now I have a goal to try and do a run/walk soon. Thanks again and good luck to you
  • AquabearGO
    Options

I started C25K when I weighed 320. It's good that you're starting out walking and running. I walked exclusivly for 4 months before I tried C25K. Take it slow, don't try sprinting for at least 60 days.

Shoes, and other stuff to wear is going to be a personal choice. I wear a size 17 shoe and have an Asics trail shoe and a Mizuno road shoe. Find as much stuff with wicking material as possible. It may not be apperant at first but the first time you get sore nipples and blisters on your feet you'll understand.

Knees? If you feel your knees are up to it, go for it. My knees got stronger the more running I did. But becareful not to over train. I only run 3 days a week, and try to never run on back to back days.

Good Luck, just take it one run at a time and listen to your body.
  • Dubby83
    Dubby83 Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm 6'3 and was 398 when I started a few years ago. I went walking for the first 5 months alone and that was about it. Made sure to go to the local track which was pretty soft. Didn't run at all. eventually started going to the gym and only did the elliptical. kept my knees safe and didn't do anything too stress-inducing until I significantly lost some weight. like 50 pounds maybe? i didn't track it too well back in those days.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Listen to some music while running. Start slow I started by running/walking using street lights.
  • AquabearGO
    Options
    Ive heard C25K works, I think that this program is geared toward that. Eventually I want to run /walk a 5k, but realize now I have to take it slowly but surely. Thanks for the advice!
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options

I suggest cycling.

I suggest....RUNNING.

Get the right shoes, start slow.
    Get checked out by a doctor.

Last summer at 350lbs I did:

2-10k races
    5- 5k races
    2-Sprint Triathlons

Don't let your weight hinder something you want to do.
  • heatbreakerr
    Options
    I am not sure if this will work for you but..

What I would do is buy a jump rope and start my Cardio with that.
    You can do it at home.. I used to do this bare feet on my carpet.
    Make sure you buy the right size jump rope and keep a good posture.

After doing this for say... a few weeks you will notice a difference.

-- and in my opinion, "running shoes" is a huge marketing ploy-
    I mean the Marathon started in ancient Greece, where they had messengers who ran from town to town, do you think they used to wear the fanciest running shoes??? No... Just my opinion, if you think I am wrong feel free --

Anyway, I personally run with a pair Nike Indoor soccer shoes. Their lightweight, durable, and comfortable. Their not anything special, I just got used to running in them.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options

I mean the Marathon started in ancient Greece, where they had messengers who ran from town to town, do you think they used to wear the fanciest running shoes??? No... Just my opinion, if you think I am wrong feel free --

Anyway, I personally run with a pair Nike Indoor soccer shoes. Their lightweight, durable, and comfortable. Their not anything special, I just got used to running in them.

Yea, don't listen to this advice.

We are big guys, we need some cushion.
  • DonnaJones7
    DonnaJones7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Warning - your shoes will need replacing far before they're worn out on the outside. The cushioning breaks down. I replace AT LEAST every 6 months. Don't be shy about it. I know they are expensive, but you need good ones.

Sorry to lecture, but my feet, ankles, knees, hips, and back REALLY like new shoes. Plus - they just feel spiffy!
  • teaparty75
    Options

Yea, don't listen to this advice.

We are big guys, we need some cushion.

LOL ...THIS ^^^ i'm a big girl and the shoes definitely make a difference - when they start wearing down , i start to feel it in my shins - i haven't gone out and spent $200 or anything close to that amount - i spend about $40/$50 on new balances and resign to the fact that i will have to replace them in about 6 months ....ALSO.....if you want to run - RUN - don't let your weight be the factor that stops you , just try to take it easy in the beginning and work your way up !! GOOD LUCK !!
  • rawlingstl
    rawlingstl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nothing will prepare you for running like running. Find a running store and go there. They will fit you in a shoe according to your pronation and gait. This is huge! I always would get shin splints and knee pain until I started wearing the proper shoes, then it all went away. Don't let people tell you, "you are to big to run." There is a reason you see all of the "Biggest Losers" on TV running. I'm a big guy and I've had a torn ACL from my work and my Physical Therapists even recommended running for keeping my knees healthy. Start with run/walk intervals and just keep increasing your running time until your running 30min straight. RunnersWorld.com is full of great articles. Good Luck!