IIFYM HELP

Options
Totally new to this macro business. My BMR is 1448, my TDEE about 1991, so I'm setting my calories to 1350 for gradual weight loss. I'm 160lbs, so my protein is set to 45%, carbs 30% and fats 25%. So far only 6 days in, carb % been fairly ok to stick to, but fat is way too high and protein hovers around 27%. Am I still likely to be successful, or should I just try harder?!

Should I aim for less carbs and more fat? Not sure what's the most important ratios to lose fat and maintain muscle(not looking to body build, I do spin and kettlebells for exercise). Any kind words would be appreciated.

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    the "goals" sometimes are just ideals. You may find that you need more fat/carbs to make a plan work for you. There is not some magic protein number where if you fall below that you'll start losing lean mass left and right. Eating good foods and not necessarliy eating some arbitrary # that is a best guess from the literature doesn't mean you won't like your progress.
  • binniesmart
    Options
    the "goals" sometimes are just ideals. You may find that you need more fat/carbs to make a plan work for you. There is not some magic protein number where if you fall below that you'll start losing lean mass left and right. Eating good foods and not necessarliy eating some arbitrary # that is a best guess from the literature doesn't mean you won't like your progress.

Many thanks

I HATE processed diet food alternates that mean you hit a number target but forego real whole foods! I'm not into whey protein or artificial sweeteners or shakes etc that'll 'balance my macros'. I just don't want to lose the little muscle mass I am trying to accumulate. I'll see how the next few weeks go at this level, then tweak as appropriate.
  • reggie7727
    reggie7727 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and chicken will get you were you want to go. :smile:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Your calorie target is not set correctly for gradual weight loss.

Generally speaking, you shouldn't eat below your BMR. People tend to feel deprived when they do that and it is more difficult to get your nutrition in and stick to your goal. Plus, it's not good for preserving lean body mass.

To lose weight, you just need to stay under your TDEE and above your BMR. How far under your TDEE will determine your rate of loss.

One recommended method to pick a calorie target for gradual loss is to set your calorie target to TDEE - 10%, which for you is 1792. You would be predicted to lose 0.39 lb / wk at this target.

Another would be to go for a loss rate of 1 lb / wk, which would be TDEE - 500, which for you is 1491.

Either, or anywhere between the two would be appropriate.
  • blgmw2
    blgmw2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When I started in May 2013 I weighed 155lbs. I have done well with 45% Carbs, 30% fat, 25% protein. I now weigh 139 lbs. I like carbs and fat so this works great for me, good luck!
  • binniesmart
    Options

Generally speaking, you shouldn't eat below your BMR. People tend to feel deprived when they do that and it is more difficult to get your nutrition in and stick to your goal. Plus, it's not good for preserving lean body mass.

To lose weight, you just need to stay under your TDEE and above your BMR. How far under your TDEE will determine your rate of loss.

Told you all I was new to this... In fairness, I never really stick to 1350, I'm almost always over 1450 but if I can eat a bit more then that's always music to me ears ;-) I'll increase slightly to see how I feel. I'm not starving at the moment, but I guess if I'm not sticking to 1350 very consistently then it must be too low...
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

One recommended method to pick a calorie target for gradual loss is to set your calorie target to TDEE - 10%, which for you is 1792. You would be predicted to lose 0.39 lb / wk at this target.

Another would be to go for a loss rate of 1 lb / wk, which would be TDEE - 500, which for you is 1491.

^ cosigning the validity of this information.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options

^ cosigning the validity of this information.

This :) although I am currently trying tdee - 20% and .35*my weigh for fat and my lean body mass for grams of protein I should ge which is about 35% carbs and protein and 30% fat. But that is my current attempt
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Take a read through this for help setting your macros, there's some really good info in this post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • binniesmart
    Options
    Take a read through this for help setting your macros, there's some really good info in this post:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    Excellent post! Thanks
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. But, here "weight" might include both fat and lean body mass (LBM; i.e. muscle).

FAT loss comes from a calorie deficit, resistance training and eating sufficient protein. That is generally recommended to be around 1 g protein per lb LBM per day. So, if you weigh 200 lb with 30% body fat (example for illustration purposes only), your LBM would be about 140 lb and you should optimally aim for at least 140 g of protein per day. Since there are 4 calories per gram of protein, that means you should aim for 560 calories per day as protein, and set that % of your total allowance as you protein %. With a calorie goal of 1500 per day, that would work to about 37% from protein. Fill in the rest with fat and carbs as you see fit.