Not sure what to do next..

Options
Hey, I have just signed up on here. I am not sure what to do next, I saw on the 5 foods not to eat video that you can choose your foods and it helps you out or something. How do I do that?

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is click on the different items on the menu bar at the top and check out each page. To add things to "my foods" click on the food tab and it will give you sub menus. My recipes is a good thing also as you can enter the things you cook like soups, sauces, etc and save it and the food values are calculated for you.
  • boomtown58
    boomtown58 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    From experience I will say

1) add pic
    2) add profile answers
    3) add FRIENDS!

People on here are AMAZING (for the most part) and as you go you will receive little surprise notes of encouragement at just the right time!

4) Talk a bit in community. Doesn't have to be a lot. Just let people know about you, your struggles, your likes, etc
    5) ENCOURAGE OTHERS - what goes around WILL come around and believe me you will want some of that coming around!
  • SarJayWil91
    Options
    Thank you knra_grl, I will have a look at that now :)
  • SarJayWil91
    Options
    boomtown58..
    Thank you :)
  • threehorses9
    threehorses9 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Count calories like money, stay under 2000 a day... and try not to drink too much beer... eat less food then you can have more beer that's what I do...
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Ignore the '5 foods to ignore' - that's an advert and is nothing to do with MFP.

Set up your profile, add weight, activity level and set your loss a week at 1lb for a steady and slow loss. There are other ways to work out how many calories you should be eating eg. TDEE -20% but don't worry about that straight off. Just go with the amounts MFP recommends.

Start logging the foods you eat in the diary and any activity you do.

I prefer to weigh monthly as I don't like to see the fluctuations we all naturally go through. Do what you feel happiest with eg. monthly, weekly or some like daily.

Measure yourself with a tape round your chest, waist, hips, thigh and neck. Sometimes the scale doesn't move but you are loosing inches. Just as important!

3 tips...

1) keep logging no matter what (even if you go hideously over!) Don't worry about it. Log it and forget it.
    2) Don't give any thing up, just try to make better choices or smaller portions. Enjoy a little of what you fancy so that you never feel deprived.
    3) ask for help from all the lovely MFP members when you need help, support, a laugh, a rant etc.

Good luck. x
  • cakrwds
    Options
    Hi! My name is Tammie and I'm new to MFP as well! I just read down through all of this thanks for all the good tips!!!
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hello Tammie!

Welcome and good luck...
    x
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Go to My Home and select goals, fill in your current weight and target loss, you will get a calorie budget, log your meals (be honest or you're wasting your time) in the Food section, log your workout sessions in the Exercise section. If you do it right you'll lose weight.
  • ataylorgardner
    ataylorgardner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Youve been given some pretty good advice here. Other than whats already been said just jump and start reading posts and joining in. Make some friends who can help motivate you and help you when needed. Do you have any specific goals you are trying to reach?
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Add me, my friends list is getting sparse.