FitBit or BodyMedia armband?

Options
I looking into getting one of these products or something similar. They are roughly the same price but on the FitBit website they really don't give a lot of info on how it works.

If anyone has tried these, please let me know what you think about the product. I really don't want to waste the money if the products are crap.

THNAK YOU!

Replies

• elly620
    elly620 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • pinky6767
    Options
    I love, love, love my body media !! Its awesome !! The best thing ever !!
  • pinky6767
    Options
    Oh, and easy to use, it tells me everything from calories burned, steps taken, the amount of sleep i've gotten, whether i've done moderate exercise or vigorous, tracks food intake and so on ! awesome !! body media ! heehee
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Fitbits (and UP by Jawbone) are activity trackers. I think BodyMedia FIT is a heart rate monitor. I have an UP and a Fitbit Flex. Fitbit also makes trackers than can be clipped to your bra.

If I had to choose just one, I'd keep the UP because it has a better app. It's way more interactive (it offers insights & challenges you to make healthier choices), and it allows you to interact w/ your teammates.

As for how activity monitors interact w/ MFP, here's a tutorial I wrote in another thread:

When you set up your MFP account, you specified an activity level: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided MFP used your answer, plus your age, sex & height, to estimate how many calories you burn every day (your TDEE). Then you set your weight-loss goal, and MFP subtracted the appropriate deficit to calculate your daily calorie goal.

Once you link an activity tracker to your MFP account (via the "Apps" tab at the top of every page), you start getting calorie adjustments. If your tracker says you burned more calories than MFP estimated, you get a positive adjustment (meaning more calories to eat). If you enable negative calorie adjustments and you burn less than the MFP estimate, you will lose calories. (But negative calorie adjustments will never drop your daily calories below 1,200.)

I wasn't losing much weight when I got my first activity tracker. At first, the adjustments didn't seem very accurate. But they got better, almost as if the system was "learning" my routine. It took a lot of trial & error to find the settings that worked best for me. But then everything clicked. I changed my MFP settings from sedentary to lightly active (even though I have a desk job), and now my adjustments are pretty minimal. And I'm losing!

I find my step goal really motivating. If I get home at night and see I'm thisclose to making goal, I'll walk around the block. A little bit more every day really adds up.
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    The BodyMedia isn't a heart rate monitor. It measures sweat, skin temp, movement (steps taken), and possibly other things I'm forgetting. It gives you an accurate step count for the day and I believe, an accurate calories burned/day. There is an app and my armband is the LINK, with bluetooth, for synching to the app. If I want to upload my band's info onto the computer, I have to connect via USB.

I think the armband is extremely accurate in giving sleep info. and daily calories burned. I have found the armband is NOT accurate for measuring workout-specific calories burned, esp. if I am working out at less than vigorous levels. For whatever reasons, if I workout at vigorous levels, I trust the armband reading.

The cons of the armband are:
    poor workout specific accuracy for moderate and light cardio workouts
    required monthly website subscription ( I think I pay about $6/month)
    poor food database, not even worth logging foods on the site
    has to be worn for most of the day and people may ask questions (although I don't feel it and got used to it pretty quickly)

Pros of armband:
    overall accuracy is very good, IMO
    battery life is amazingly good (I may charge it once a week, tops)
    sleep measurement (total time and efficiency) are very accurate. If I wake up and lie still for 10 min. at 3am, it'll show up when I plug it into the computer

I also have a Fitbit One and like it a lot but honestly, it's a fancy pedometer, not much more, IMO. I have found a big discrepancy between my calories burned on the Fitbit vs. Body Media and I trust the armband more. I"m talking close to a 1000 calorie discrepancy. I also find the sleep measurement inaccurate.

Cons of the Fitbit:
    great accuracy of steps taken but poor measurement of anything else
    It's so small and lightweight, you will forget it's attached to your bra strap, pant band, etc and possibly run it through the wash or lose it. I worried about Fitbit more than the armband because of its small size.

Pros of the Fitbit:
    Great website which is FREE
    More interactive in that you can add friends to compare steps taken (that was my favorite thing about the Fitbit). It's fun to compare your activity to others.
  • dpwdash
    dpwdash Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am looking at the Body Media myself and the upcoming Amiggo (?). Does the interface with MFP work well? I was planning on continuing logging my foods into MFP while using the BM for activity and sleep tracking. Would this work?
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Have had my Bodymedia since Sept, wife got her's in March. Both of us love the info.
    Friends tried testing the Bodymedia vs the Fitbit type stuff... found times Fitbit/Fuleband didn't pick up the info movement was happening if it was just the lower half of the body. Had some issue with Bodymedia not counting steps in the same type of situation (Pushing a shopping cart while leaning weight on it...both had low step counts compared to the person who was walking beside them), but the Bodymedia still showed that higher calorie burn was happening.

Noticed when i signed into Bodymedia today that they are having a sale, 35% off and 12 month free subscription... so basically $77 for your first 12 months, just subscription after that.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I had a BodyBugg, very similar to the BodyMedia, and hated it. I used it for about two weeks. I hated the armband in particular, which always was visible - even under clothing, there was this big bump on my arm.

Contrast to the Fitbit, which I've worn without fail for more than a year. It can be fully hidden in my pocked, waistband, or on my bra.

Fitbit's website/interface is also FREE. Forever. With the Bodymedia, you have to pay for a subscription after your trial runs out...you have to pay to get data off the device you purchased. Lame.

Also, I don't know if they've changed this or not, but I hated that the BodyBugg didn't have a display. Yes, I could sync to my phone, but that's not nearly as easy as just peeking at the Fitbit to see how many steps I've gotten.

For what it's worth, the two devices give me VERY comparable TDEE calculations.
  • presbyreformed
    presbyreformed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am looking at the Body Media myself and the upcoming Amiggo (?). Does the interface with MFP work well? I was planning on continuing logging my foods into MFP while using the BM for activity and sleep tracking. Would this work?

I am using the Body Media one since Christmas and love it. I agree with others that the Body Media website food logging is not very good, so I am sticking with MFP for food logging and letting Body Media sync my exercise with MFP. This seems to be working great.

I am not sure about how accurate it is for my bike riding and moderate exercise as someone else noted, but I am testing it and today it seemed to have logged my bike ride pretty much the way Runkeeper did, so I guess it is OK.
  • dpwdash
    dpwdash Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I would like to hear more as you continue your journeyw it the bodymedia and your helathy revolution.
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Force, which is worn on the wrist. I wear it 24/7 except to take a shower. It has been a huge motivator for me to just move more. I take the stairs now so I can see how many floors I have climbed. (26 floors so far today). I will go for a walk in the evening after dinner if I have not reached my 10k steps yet, etc. I give it a lot of credit of the number on the ticker below. :smile:
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I had the bodybug and I now have the fitbit flex. I like the fitbit a lot better. I hated having to wear the arm band and having it show in nearly every outfit I wore. Also the monthly fee was annoying. The flex is a wristband but it just looks like a watch.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I've used the BMF Link for 2 years and switched to the Fitbit force 2 months ago.

If you only do walking/running, I highly recommend just going with a fitbit. It does a good job for those types of activities. I've personally had better results using the Fitbit than the BMF for walking/running. I find the Fitbit wristband way more comfortable to wear for long periods of time over the BMF armband. It also has the advantage of saving you a monthly cost.

If you are going for more intense cardio and weightlifting, the BMF seems to be way more accurate. In this case, it may be worth paying the monthly for the BMF account. It is not a heart rate monitor, but it is a pedometer on steroids. It has some extra sensors which measure things like the heat change of your skin and etc.
  • crfreaks
    crfreaks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the BodyMedia for over a year back in 2011, back then the unit was over $300 and you still had to pay $7 a month.
    To get any data off the device you have to pay the website dues which after a 1 and half years its well over $100. Also ive read about people saying the calorie counts are different or steps, with the armband i could just swing my arm in the air and it would count as a step or two so not really accurate. Now factor in the cost of the unit. Not a good deal, after looking at the fitbit Force it does almost everything the armband did. So i would say get the fitbit force first and save your self $7 a month. I wish they had Force back when i first started looking in to these, Now i have a useless armband just sitting around.
  • biankavarner
    biankavarner Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have had both. I currently wear the Fitbit Force which was an upgrade from the Fitbit one for me. I liked the BodyMedia but there is a monthly fee to use the website which really rubbed me the wrong way. I like them both though.

If your looking at cheaper then the Fitbit is the way to go!!
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    For those wondering what the Bodymedia shows you:
    http://www.bodymedia.com/activity_manager_demo.htm
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I have a BMF and love it. If you don't like it showing on your arm, you can stick it in your bra on your side over your rib cage (assuming you're a woman).

You don't have to have a monthly subscription, you can buy an external display device ($15) that shows minute by minute calorie burn, steps taken, and minutes of moderate and vigorous exercise for the current and previous days. It also has a setting where you can see calories burned during a specific workout.
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    I have the FitBit. I have the one that counts the stairs that I take. Which I do a lot. Others didn't have this feature. Clips to your bra.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You don't have to have a monthly subscription, you can buy an external display device ($15) that shows minute by minute calorie burn, steps taken, and minutes of moderate and vigorous exercise for the current and previous days.
    If you don't subscribe, do you only see what's on the external device, so no online historical charts or analytics?