heart rate on gym equipment - does mine mean I am out of sha

Options
I've been working out at the gym for the past month and going by the info on the machines which give my ideal cardio heartrate as 134 (based on my age of 52 and current weight of 155), but I still have lots of energy and can easily work out at around 156-160 or so. Does this mean I am either a) in great shape since I can easily work out at a higher heart rate, or b) in really lousy shape because my heart rate is so high when I feel maxed out?

I feel pretty energetic since I've lost 37 lbs since April; I've always been fairly active, and it's all getting easier as I get smaller, so I THINK I am in good shape, considering - but I am also no spring chicken and don't want to do any damage!

Replies

• YoderKatie
    YoderKatie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I always tell my clients to work out at a pace were they could hold a conversation (with a few pauses) but not sing a song. Sure, there is going to be a little discomfort to exercising and your heart rate and breathing will increase, but you don't want to feel like A) it's a stroll in the park or B) you're going to pass out any second.

Work at a rate that is comfortable for you while giving yourself a little push, everyone's body is different so heart rate standards shouldn't be taken too seriously, it is a guideline, or an estimation and generally underestimates people over age 40.

Hope that helps!
    Katie
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, target heart rates are set low. When you stay in your THR you end up doing low intensity exercise, which doesn't burn as many calories as high intensity exercise. Low intensity work outs do burn a slightly higher percentage of fat calories than high intensity, but because high intensity work outs burn so many more calories overall you end up burning more fat. It's better to have your heart rate around 80% instead of the 65% target heart rate.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Don't forget, those machines are also oftentimes ineffective at detecting your heart rate ... a Polar F6 (or another HRM if you'd prefer) will probably give you a different, and definitely more accurate, result.

But I'm with the others - if you can push harder, I say do it!
  • eglass64
    eglass64 Posts: 180
    Options
    I make sure I'm sweating, or it doesnt feel like a work out.
  • iishnova
    iishnova Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I always tell my clients to work out at a pace were they could hold a conversation (with a few pauses) but not sing a song. Sure, there is going to be a little discomfort to exercising and your heart rate and breathing will increase, but you don't want to feel like A) it's a stroll in the park or B) you're going to pass out any second.

Work at a rate that is comfortable for you while giving yourself a little push, everyone's body is different so heart rate standards shouldn't be taken too seriously, it is a guideline, or an estimation and generally underestimates people over age 40.

Hope that helps!
    Katie

This sounds like fantastic advice! I'll have to remember that.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    I would chat with your doc! :) It could be a bunch of things, and in my opinion, I am in complete agreement with the talking/singing comment, but depending on underlying issues etc it might be good just to make sure.

I am 22 and I frequently exercise at 180 which is at the very highest for my age, but have been okayed by the doctor. Always better to ask then be sorry later.

PS great job on the weight loss so far - keep it up!
  • greengold
    greengold Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    great - thanks for the replies! I, too, like to sweat and don't really feel like I've worked out if I don't. I'll try the talking as a guide; offhand I would say I am still in that range because I also don't like to push myself to the point of feeling sick, which is what happens when I get winded (sprinting, etc)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I've been working out at the gym for the past month and going by the info on the machines which give my ideal cardio heartrate as 134 (based on my age of 52 and current weight of 155), but I still have lots of energy and can easily work out at around 156-160 or so. Does this mean I am either a) in great shape since I can easily work out at a higher heart rate, or b) in really lousy shape because my heart rate is so high when I feel maxed out?

I feel pretty energetic since I've lost 37 lbs since April; I've always been fairly active, and it's all getting easier as I get smaller, so I THINK I am in good shape, considering - but I am also no spring chicken and don't want to do any damage!

The answer to your questions is: None of the above.

Your "elevated" heart rate just means that your maximum heart rate is higher than the [200-age] "standard". That is not significant--it is just an anatomical variation, like your eye color, etc.

The heart rate guidelines on machines -- like most of the stuff around the actual displays -- are really for marketing purposes only--they have little or no validity.

While you are learning about your body and its response to exercise, pay as much attention to perceived exertion as to heart rate. The "converse but not sing" cue is a common and useful guide -- intuitively, breathing can be a more reliable indicator of exertion than heart rate (assuming no obstructive lung disease).

Keep up with your program and keep varying your intensities-- great job so far!