Insanity Calorie Burns

Options
Does anyone have any idea why my calorie burns are so low for Insanity? I started Month 2 yesterday, and for Max Interval Plyo today burned a measly 350 cals for a nearly hour-long workout!?!? I see other people's calorie burns and they are 2 and 3 times as high as mine. I am not dogging it. I am giving it all I have and dripping in sweat at the end of every workout. I get disappointed every day when I read my HRM. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• Mills187
    Mills187 Posts: 171
    Options
    it could be your HRM? try completely burning your self during the warm up honestly that's where I burn most of my calories is during the warm up and then throughout it just keeps going up.
  • futbolkt21
    futbolkt21 Posts: 57
    Options
    When I've done Insanity my burn is around 550 calories, but I weigh significantly more than you it looks like so mine would be higher. MY HRM reads around 180 for the majority of the workout.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    What does your HRM say is your Max and Ave HR?

Do you have a HRM with a chest strap? If not get one. Otherwise double check your settings and your battery because unless you're just standing there, hard to believe you'd only burn 350 calories doin MIP.

Tim
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of factors in calorie burns.
    The more people weigh, the more they burn doing any activity.
    Temperature of the room.
    Basal metabolic rate.
    Current fitness level.
    Amount of muscle mass.
    Amount of water consumption.
    etc, etc...
    Plus, people may be over-estimating their calorie burns.
    Also, resistance exercises tend to be more difficult to measure accurately with a HRM.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    WHOA! Yeah, I think its your HRM. I am only 4'11" weighing in at 101, and I burn 500+ doing Max Interval Plyo.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    according to my hrm, i tend to burn 303 to 350. personally i really dont care what the numbers say , i do not neccesarily eat back all my exercise cals. not on purpose i just am not that big of eater. and if it is low for some reason well than its all good. as for the big cal burns i see on some peoples activites somtimes i a skeptical ( okay i get skeptical on alot of things in general).
    and i am quite fat still.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Not sure where your goals are, but it could be that you are in better shape!! :bigsmile: I know, not what you want to hear.
    You could check your HRM numbers. Do you have one that tells you how many calories burned? If yes, instead, you could try calculating it yourself using your average heart rate for the time worked out. A little more tedious, but can help. If it means you really just have a better cardiovascular endurance, then you may have to up your work. It could be that Insanity isn’t enough. My husband does P90x and for the Kempo work outs his average HR the entire hour is 113. That’s nothing….and he is going really hard, it’s just that does not challenge him.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i think to many on here get to caught up in number it will make you insane

editing to add, honestly no pun intended
  • evandmegsmom
    evandmegsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have a brand-new Polar F7. It does have a chest strap. And I do work my hardest. I have noticed my heart rate goes down way fast. I'm back out of my zone within seconds during the water breaks. It's weird, because when i take a brisk walk around the lake near my house, which is 6 miles, I do it in an hour and 5 minutes and I burn over 600 cals. And I barely break a sweat. With Insanity I'm DYING, and I burn next to nothing. Strange!!
  • beccab84
    beccab84 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have actually been wondering the same thing. I have a bodybugg and with "pure cardio" it puts me at a little over 300 calories. But I'm seriously dripping with sweat and feel like I'm gonna die. The only thing I could think is that interval training helps you burn more calories throughout the day. So maybe the actual calorie burn during the workout isn't that big of a deal. It's frustrating though.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I am burning anywhere from 233-300 with the Insanity workouts. I am at 5'4" and 105 pounds and seriously pushing it. :)
  • fabiolacortes
    Options
    How did you all get that bottom picture that says how much weight you're losing? And how are you all tracking the calories burned during insanity??? Reply ASAP! Anyone
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I was feeling ripped off when I did Jillian Michaels 30DS. Level 1 I only burned a measly amount of calories. I was gutted hahaha.
    Perhaps it is your heart rate monitor? You may be fitter than you think you are?
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    How did you all get that bottom picture that says how much weight you're losing? And how are you all tracking the calories burned during insanity??? Reply ASAP! Anyone

Go to Apps up the top then in that screen it's down the bottom on the right hand side under trackers

AND...I'm assuming people are using heart rate monitors?
  • rachie590
    rachie590 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have a brand-new Polar F7. It does have a chest strap. And I do work my hardest. I have noticed my heart rate goes down way fast. I'm back out of my zone within seconds during the water breaks. It's weird, because when i take a brisk walk around the lake near my house, which is 6 miles, I do it in an hour and 5 minutes and I burn over 600 cals. And I barely break a sweat. With Insanity I'm DYING, and I burn next to nothing. Strange!!

You walk at an 11 minute per mile pace? LOL that is my jogging pace, and I would expect to burn six hundred calories for that.
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I just did an Insanity workout with a HRM for the first time, 411 calories in 39 minutes. I had previously been logging the workouts as "aerobics" and it was close, but shy of what I was actually burning. My heart rate was between 160-175 for most of the workout. 5ft9, 150 lbs.
  • miss_smitty
    Options
    You have to take into account your resting heart rate. It sounds like you are pushing yourself pretty hard, and you are probably in decent shape. If your resting heart rate is lower (mine sits at about 52 beats per minute when I'm inactive, which is super low) that means that your active heart rate will also be lower. You are probably burning more calories than you realize, as 140 bpm is not "slightly active" for you, but pretty dang quick.
  • anna1m
    anna1m Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am in decent shape, weight about 105lbs, and burn about 300 calories according to my HRM.