More than CALORIES

Options
Hello, I find myself logging what I have eaten for the last few days. Some days I go a little under my calorie limit, some days I go a little over. But I was wondering what advice or comments other people looking to lose weight had about the details involved in a calorie. I know a lot about calorie's at a glance, what it "technically means and all that" I am a nurse, but what I seem to be seeing most days regardless of going under or over my calorie limit, I still stay under my carbohydrate limit, or fat limit, or sugar limit. I tend to go over on protein and usually sodium. But I feel like that is better than going over on sugar, fat, or carbs. What do you all think?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Well, basic math says that you're pretty much always going to go a bit over and a bit under something.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I tend to go over on protein and usually sodium. But I feel like that is better than going over on sugar, fat, or carbs. What do you all think?

If you are using MFP's #s think of protein & fiber as a minimum goal to reach. I don't bother tracking sodium (other to maybe drink more water on a salty day) or sugar - unless you have a medical issue.
  • donjessop
    donjessop Posts: 186
    Options
    Because of the way that the body processes carbs vs. proteins, if you are going to "go over" on something then make it protein. However, the numbers in MFP are, by default, quite low. As a minimum you should be getting 0.37 grams per pound of body weight. This is the RDA from the Institute of Medicine. If you are going to be doing a lot of exercising then you should be increasing the protein you consume as well.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    How about make better food choices to make sure not to go over on your sodium? Also drink water to help flush out any extra salt.....I tracked it for about 3 months and noticed I rarely went over or got close so I took it off of my macros.... We do need salt just like any other mineral or nutrient out there...Also if you are getting the majority of your sugar from non processed ways then you shouldnt worry....I kept on going over on sugar but realized most of it was from fruits. But I dont track that either I go by the way my body feels, when I have too much sugar my body feels it
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If your'e going to go over on anything it should be protein. The only problems with excess protein come at VERY high amounts. Fat is required, but only in moderation, complex carbs are good as filler, but also only needed in moderation, protein is something you can pretty much always use more of.

As donjeesop says, the protein "limit" should be treated as a minimum, not a maximum.