anyone else using non-motorized treadmill?

Options
I walk/run on a human-powered NordicTrack WalkFit 5000, which we got about 15 years ago. It has a flywheel instead of a motor. Does anyone else out there use one like that for cardio? I am curious about how other users are recording those workouts.

Replies

• RedwoodCoast
    RedwoodCoast Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have a manual treadmill but don't use it for sustained walks. I use it for warm ups and walking backwards. I find it is a bit choppy. and mine needs adjustment cause my belt shifts sideways. If I do use it for complete workout I will use hrm and record time walked and calories burned from that. I have added most of my personal workouts into database manually.
  • mgmason
    Options
    Just rescued one of those from my in-laws (ancient but lightly used) & am wondering the same since the battery powered meter appears to be toast. If your walk fit is anything like this one, it requires some effort to move the belt, even with low tension & after cleaning/silicone application. For lack of information, I'm just guesstimating a brisk walk for 5 mins in addition to actual time to make up for the belt tension & upper body activity. Pretty sure it's an underestimation, but I see that as a small benefit to myself at this stage.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I had one, but gave it up. It was impossible to run on... the belt just didn't move without a heck of a lot of force behind it, it sustained no momentum when my feet were coming off it, so it was only good for "walking".

I run outdoors now, but when the weather is bad or the ground is too sodden I pay the £1.50 required to spend some time on the cardio equipment at my local leisure centre's gym. It's worth it, if you can find a gym that will let you "pay as you go".
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Geez I'm picturing the flinstones car
  • QueenKatherineElizabeth
    Options
    I would love to know as well. I just got one today for like $10. But I can barely see the screen lit up and it quits working like after a minute. But I would love to know how to calculate calories for this since it has a slight incline and there is tension with the walk to make it tougher to go.