Workout Assistance

Options
I went walking for 4 miles yesterday and my bum is killing me today :sad: I have short legs and a long torso, should I be running instead? I hate running, can't go very far but I can walk for miles and miles no problem. I need some workout assistance!!!

Replies

• calicolu
    calicolu Posts: 12
    Options
    I went walking for 4 miles yesterday and my bum is killing me today :sad: I have short legs and a long torso, should I be running instead? I hate running, can't go very far but I can walk for miles and miles no problem. I need some workout assistance!!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Could it just be that you've pulled your butt muscles?

"Butt muscles" is a technical term, btw. Just ask any doctor. :laugh:

But seriously, sorry your rear aches! :frown:
  • ramonaschack
    ramonaschack Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Fanny muscles is the term I use. LOL Anyway if you havn't been walking regularly and then did a four mile walk yesterday it is perfectly normal for your fanny to be feeling sore. Keep up the walking, there is no real advantage to running over walking if you are walking at a good pace - say at least 15 min miles. When I was walking 4 miles 4 times a week I really noticed a difference in my weight and my legs and fanny looked good. :) I have read over and over that intervals work really well to burn calories say you walk at a real fast pace, almost a slow jog, for a several minutes then slow down then speed up etc.
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    yup the fanny will hurt if you havent walked in a while. i dont even have much of a fanny but i feel like i have one when i walk alot ofter not doing it for a while.

stick with the walking and do some sprints here and there it has been proven to be more effective on weight loss than running the entire time. i lost 40lbs with walking 50 mins 4 times a week
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    What a pain in the *kitten*.

:laugh: Yep, had to go there.
  • calicolu
    calicolu Posts: 12
    Options
    Yea, I totally agree - I used to be a runner until recently I've started walking. I seem to be able to walk for miles no problem but I run out of endurance real quick when I take a run. I'm hoping I'll have better results walking since I enjoy it more and can go longer. I used to feel running would burn more but I'm pretty sure I was at an anaerobic level instead of an aerobic one. We'll see, only time can tell!!!
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    What a pain in the *kitten*.

:laugh: Yep, had to go there.

Well, SOMEbody had to! :laugh:
  • overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    One thing I learned the hard way is having a good pair of running shoes. In all my weight loss endeavors, I've usually wore my casual Chuck Taylors in physical activity. The blisters and sore spots became enough and I got a pair of comfortable inexpensive adidas.
  • Adele
    Adele Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    That means its working!!! No pain...no gain!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, walking uses a very different set of muscles then running. Well, let me clarify, they BOTH use the leg muscles, but walking incorporates a lot more of the gluts (which is what is hurting you), lower back, hip flexors (both), and stomach. Running uses most of these too, but to a much lower degree on some of them. See, when you walk, you are walking mostly straight legged heel to toe, when you run, it's usually mid-foot and toe only (much less heel), and that means you encorporate different muscles. Also Walking is more straight up and down which engages more core.

Endurance wise, walking probably won't help much as far as VO2 max goes (wind) because in order to increase your oxygen capacity, you have to deplete it to a degree, unless you are out of breath when walking, you won't do that. On the upside, you can do interval walk/jog routines that will increase your VO2 max levels as well as allow you to stay out long enough to have a good cardio routine. It usually takes 1 to 2 months with one of these routines to build up enough wind to run continuously for extended periods.