Over 40 trying to lose weight??

Options
Hi, I'm 41 and a mom of 2 girls with about 70 pounds to lose. Any tips and advice WELCOME!!!!

Replies

• sandymom10
    sandymom10 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm in the same boat. I'm 46 with a grown son and two grown daughters. I have 40lbs to lose. I've lost before. Looking forward to making it a lifestyle.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 50 and I had about 75 when I started. Give this a read, it's working for me:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • barb106
    barb106 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm 44. Friend request sent!
  • kcandmcsmom
    kcandmcsmom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!!
  • kcandmcsmom
    kcandmcsmom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Me too. Trying to stay motivated....
  • georgiagranma
    georgiagranma Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Started 1/8/2014. In my teens I weighed 120, after babies up to mid-30's I weighed in the 140's, after divorce was up in the 180's, now at 55, I am 274. UGH will the madness ever stop? Anyway, my eldest grandchild is 11 years old and the youngest is 18 months old. I want to be around to watch them grow up, so I am committed to losing 110 pounds. Any suggestions that you may have would be great! I don't do appetite suppressants or any of the gimmicky stuff. Want to shed this weight by eating right and getting the proper exercise. I do have arthritis so a lot of strenuous cardio is out for me. Walking, dancing, and some light weight training is about all I can handle.
  • ladybud2014
    Options
    I am 41 also. Water helps also. I found I could only drink so much, then I reached a point where I did not loose or gain for awhile. I gave it up and began eating bad, gained it all back. I have heard if you put mint leaf or lemon in it helps. Good luck :smile:
  • toofatgrandie
    Options
    Also yo yo ing between 170 and 200. 56 yr old Grandview who wants to see my grandchildren grow up. Can't seem to stay on track. I like to eat real food and love my carbs.
  • orr_stacie
    orr_stacie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 with two little boys. I have about 65 more pounds to go. You can do it!! Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend. I love to encourage others and trust me I need the encouragement too.
  • iamimagine
    iamimagine Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 now and I've been battling this for far too long. From 30-40, I gained 5 lbs/year. Then I was up and down 10 lbs, until last spring when I went up, but didn't come down. in my 20s I successfully lost 25 lbs, but haven't been able to free up the time to calculate and prepare, since being a Mom. But I feel in my bones that this is my moment. I want to do it, and I have to do it. It's now or never. I started two days ago. I don't remember being so hungry at bedtime. I'm within calories, but I still feel hungry. But the water and calorie counting is already paying off. It may be slow, but the scale has started to move in the right direction. It doesn't matter how slowly it comes off, as long as it keeps coming off.

I made a plan before the holidays. I tried to lose 5 lbs, but I lost 3. That's OK. The plan then was to not gain weight, and I didn't. Here's my big plan: diet confusion. I'm basing it on the muscle confusion of those fad exercise plans. Based on a Weight Watcher's style plan, caloric intake to lose 3 lbs/week should be 1400 calories. But I want to lose 5lbs/week in the first month for momentum. So my plan:

Week 1 - calorie counting diet, 1400 calories 8 glasses water. Week 2: reduce by 200 calories (which is like a starter week on some diets), 8 glasses water. Week 3: now that I've shrunk my stomach, try the 5/2 diet for one week (eat all you want for 3 days, eat only 500 healthy calories the other two days, then back to all you want). Then I'll re-assess if I can maintain 5/2 or go back to 1400 cals for two weeks. The 5/2 plan is supposed to have great health benefits. I don't think I'm doing anything drastic here, just trying to keep from hitting a plateau in the first month. After that, I'll reassess my weight, and shoot for whatever works to reach 3 lbs/week. If I hit a plateau, I will try a different style, maybe even Atkins for 1 week, or the Shred diet. It sounds really complicated, but I just want the momentum, because that's what I'm lacking. I have a very slow-scale exercise program too, but I have mobility issues now and have to rely on the diet end mostly until I get to about 175/180.

I wish all of you luck! Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • missg47
    missg47 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi All. Sounds like this is the place for me. I'm 47 and have about 40 lbs to lose. I just joined this week and am committed to making this work. Feel free to friend me. I'll offer any motivation and support that I can. Good luck to all!
  • somestrangewoman
    Options
    Hello, I'm 46 and at 198 lbs. That's two pounds from a shame I've never felt until now. I've done this to myself, and desperately want to undo it! I'm here to share and support with friends here!! Add me :)

Today was my first day logging my diet here, and on my first day, I sat on the couch with a bag of Cheetos and some cookies. I know I was subconsciously attempting to sabotage myself, justifying the guilt with my 50 minute walk. But the cravings were strong too!
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Log in every day. Don't lie. Eat as close to whole food as possible. The healthier you eat the more you can eat and actually you're less hungry. Eat protein, lower calorie breads, no artificial anything. Try to find a healthier version for the foods you love. Read labels. LOTS OF WATER no soda. Put lemon in water to give it flavor. Check eatingwell.com , dlife.com or just look up healthy recipes. good luck.
  • TimmyT66
    Options
    Hi 47 trying to get fit and lose 20lbs - feel free to add me as a friend ........anyone! ;-)
  • kazwillimott
    kazwillimott Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 trying to shift about 50lb, please feel free to add me as I need all the help and encouragement I can get! Good luck to you all xx
  • awaywiththeFairys
    awaywiththeFairys Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I`m in the same boat as a lot of ppl was in an unhappy marriage gained lots of weight as food seemed to make things bearable when unhappy,stressed and sad . I spend most time on my own working full time with 2 Children due to his work at the time.After a long and messy divorce I found out he cheated so many times and guess I knew it all along but didn`t think someone that is supposed to love you can treat you like that but hey up and on from here.My kids are grown up and doing their own thing now so time to think about myself for a change and make healthy changes in my Life. I want to stick around for a while yet and know this weight has to come off for it .I need to shift 50-60lbs and need all the help I can get !!!.It`s all to easy to fall back into unhealhty routine when you struggle and things go slow.Any advice is more then welcome :)