The extra calories earned??

Options
2»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I think that's what I'll do. Because clearly anyone can see you were basically being sarcastic and then try and turn around and pretend that you wasn't by saying "i'm soo sorry". Please save it! Maybe one day I'll get make it to your size and expertise.
    Much love & kisses dear.
    Oh for goodness sake. She wasn't being sarcastic at all. She was asking anyone to clarify this eating back calories thing because this question gets asked a lot.

You won't last long if you continue being so defensive.

To answer your question-eat a portion back. If you lose weight faster than your weight loss goal per week eat a few more back. If you gain or don't lose according to you weight loss goals, then eat less exercise calories back.

Good luck. :smile:
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    dianne,

Not everybody is a genius like yourself. It's ok for people to ask questions. If you don't want to answer them....kick rocks.
    Seriously?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif
  • micahsmom91011
    micahsmom91011 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    So I am one of those crazy people that didn't know this. I think the thought gets in your head that you're supposed to burn more than you take in, so if you still have 500 calories left over for the day, that's a good thing. I've actually felt rather guilty the couple times I did eat back some of those calories burned.

So based on the MFP way, if say I'm hungry but I really don't have any "extra" calories for a snack, I could go work out and then eat my snack if I'm still hungry. (I basically just did this. I hopped on my stationary bike and peddled for 25 minutes and now I'm going to eat some almonds.)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    So I am one of those crazy people that didn't know this. I think the thought gets in your head that you're supposed to burn more than you take in, so if you still have 500 calories left over for the day, that's a good thing. I've actually felt rather guilty the couple times I did eat back some of those calories burned.

So based on the MFP way, if say I'm hungry but I really don't have any "extra" calories for a snack, I could go work out and then eat my snack if I'm still hungry. (I basically just did this. I hopped on my stationary bike and peddled for 25 minutes and now I'm going to eat some almonds.)

Pretty much. :flowerforyou:
  • micahsmom91011
    micahsmom91011 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Well blimey, I rather like that plan. Thanks Holly! :smile:
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    dianne,

Not everybody is a genius like yourself. It's ok for people to ask questions. If you don't want to answer them....kick rocks.
    Seriously?

Seriously
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    dianne,

Seriously?

Seriously
    :smile:
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you set up your goals as...

They recommend you put sedentary or lightly active and THEN add in your workouts. I have my goals set as lightly active ( because I have an active job ) and then I add in my exercises.

You don't necessarily have to do it that way. You can set your profile as moderately active or very active, and then not add in the workouts. But only do that if you know for sure.

But yeah they do expect you to eat it all back. If you do not want to eat it all back, set your activity level higher ( if you exercise on a regular basis )
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

Yes. When you put your stats and goals into MFP, it calculates your calories for you. The calorie goal it assigns you already includes the necessary deficit for your weight loss goals, so if you add extra exercise into your day, you're creating an even larger deficit and should eat back at least some of those burned calories. :smile:
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

Too funny. And very true. I didn't think any of the replies were bad but I guess we all read things different.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Question #1:

Should I eat all my calories?

Yes. MFP is already figuring a deficit for you to lose weight. This deficit is based on what you need to eat based on your everyday activity, not counting exercise. In the end, it's all about "net calories" (you can view yours under reports)

Example: you need to eat 2,000 calories to maintain your current weight (random number)
    MFP will tell you to eat 1,500 to lose one pound per week (500x7=3500=one pound loss).

Let's say you exercise, and burn 500 additional calories.
    UH-OH, now you are at a 1,000 calorie a day deficit. You need 2,000 calories to maintian, are already restricted to 1500, so now your net calories are a 1,000 a day. This is starvation central. Your body, which is very good at keeping you alive, will store and save calories. You WILL stop losing weight. You WILL want to throw your scale out the window.

Eat your exercise calories. At least eat most of them.

Question #2:
    I'm eating 1200 calories, I feel like crap and I'm not losing weight. What gives?

Answer:
    Run, don't walk, to "tools" and use the BMR calculator. Please, please, please, eat at least your BMR calories every day. You might lose weight more slowly, but you will still lose, and you will not longer feel a sudden urge to fall over every time you do, well, anything.

Question #3:
    I'm doing "everything right" and the scale won't move.

Answer #1: The scale is the devil. Step away from the scale. Buy a tape measure, notice how your clothes are (probably) fitting better. Muscle is more dense than fat, and takes up less space on your body. More muscle on your body will make the scale freeze or (gasp) move upward.

Answer #2: You're not being honest. In order for this to work, you must record every morsel of food that goes in your body. Also, if you ride a stationary bike for 30 minutes and barely break a sweat and can still chatter on your cell phone (OK, that's my personal gym pet peeve) then you're probably not working "vigorously". Don't overestimate your exercise calories. (this was a big mistake I made in the past.)

Answer #3: Your body might be re-adjusting. How you feel is the most important mark of progress. It's very easy to fixate on numbers, but feeling better really should be its own reward.

Question #4:
    So, if I'm eating my exercise calories, what's the point of exercise?

Answer: (warning: extremely opinionated answer ahead)
    You don't. You can lose weight through diet alone. But, then you will be skinny and flabby. Is a model skinnier than me? OH, YES! Is she healthier than me? probably NOT. She couldn't survive the hour-long spin class that I take three times a week. Trust me. Her skin is a mess, she smokes, and she looks like crap in person. (this is a generalization. I don't hate models, but this is their lifestyle. . .I used to be a "dresser" at shows, and I saw a lot of "behind the scenes" stuff.
    this is awesome!!! I think we have for years had it drilled into our heads to "eat less" so its hard to grasp the 'eat more,but healthy" thing..at least it was for me.