Generic or Brand Name?

Options
Does it really matter if the prepared/canned/frozen foods you buy are generic instead of a national brand? For instance, I don't see or taste the difference between store brand frozen peas and Green Giant. I will however always buy Heinz ketchup over any other brand but I do prefer President's choice (Canadian store brand) greek yogurt over any other greek yougurt I've tried. Whats your preference? Any hidden gems out there in the aisles/freezers to share?

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    In most cases I do generic, but there are some foods/products I can tell a big enough difference in quality to buy the name brand.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Whatever is cheapest and has the less calories lol.
    Those two are my main things, as I usually prepare food differently each time.. I'm not that great a cook lmao.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I can do most generic brands but there are some items i have to splurge on.

Brand item ex: trash bags, shampoo, peanut butter, salad dressings...
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    ketchup has to be name brand
  • MadTownD
    MadTownD Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Mostly generic for me. Except Miracle Whip. Accept no substitutes! :-)
  • qnotes
    qnotes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Very often generics are produced by the big brands. So, you can buy generics and save some money. It's all marketing agreements, lot sales, patent expirations, commodity exchanges, blah blah blah, economics, yawn.

I don't like being soap box guy, but buy local and organic as much as possible. The more we do it, the more it will be served.

The thing that scares me about generics, though, is the kinds of chemical additives and fillers which make it onto the ingredients lists.
  • BunnieMommie
    BunnieMommie Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Depends on what's on sale. If I can get name brand cheaper than generic, then I go name brand. I'll give a generic one try. If it's good, I keep buying. If not, then it's name brand. Though, there are some things that my family will not budge on when it comes to name brand or generic.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Just watch the sodium on those suckas!
  • bar4872
    Options
    I have found that I actually prefer some of the store brands over "name brands". For instance, I like Kroger brand turkey pepperoni and pretzels better than Hormel and Rold Gold respectively. And I like Safeway brand tuna better than name brand tuna. Same goes for things like canned beans. I definitely splurge on some things and try to save on others. I think it's worth giving the generics a try; if you don't like it you didn't waste that much money, and if you do like it, you can continue to save on future shopping trips!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    (...) but I do prefer President's choice (Canadian store brand) greek yogurt over any other greek yougurt I've tried. Whats your preference? Any hidden gems out there in the aisles/freezers to share?
    President's Choice has good stuff. No Name, on the other hand...

I usually buy store brand products for frozen vegetables and vegetable juice, they by and large all taste the same.