Does anyone else struggle with perfectionism?

Options
Hi all!

I've been here on MFP for just about 4 years. I haven't been as active on here in the past year or so, though I've still been on my fitness journey the entire time. 2013 was definitely a year of big ups and downs, and now 2014 is here and with it, a refreshed and renewed motivation to write... blogs in particular. I'm back to blogging!!

I have much to share from my past journey, my present and my future... that future includes a full marathon in November 2014. I've struggled with perfectionism for as long as I can remember, and of course it has affected my fitness and health journey. But, I have blogged about it and I'm now a recovering perfectionist! :D

Here's the blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MaryTheIceCube/view/just-say-no-to-perfectionism-612499

Or, direct link here: http://www.sparkyourmotivation.com/3/post/2014/01/just-say-no-to-perfectionism.html

Thanks for reading!

Chandra

Replies

• emtbythesea
    emtbythesea Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like to be the best at the things I do. If I'm not the best, I tend to give up.
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I like to be the best at the things I do. If I'm not the best, I tend to give up.

I've pretty much stopped competing and comparing myself with others..... comparing ourselves to others is often unhealthy for us.
  • katesnewbody
    katesnewbody Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    yes, absolutely :/ I'm never happy with my body, ever XD
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I used to. Then I turned 30. True story.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    nope never. i've always thought it was an excuse to either not complete stuff or not even start it. at least that's what i've noticed from all the perfectionists i've known in my life. they only end up doing a small amount of the stuff they talk about wanting to do.
  • supergirl222
    Options
    I just want to be better and better, ie, run longer, bike faster, get leaner, set new goals and achieve etc... i guess thats a sign of perfectionism (thats kind of relative though to me perfectionism is not something i would struggle with, it is just goals that i set up for myself and want to achieve).

How do you define perfectionism?
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Wow, perfectionism. This was a huge underlying piece to my anxiety. I eventually worked it out and realized that
    ...I would get anxious when I feel like I would screw up or make a mistake
    I realized I was scared to make a mistake or screw up
    I feared getting in trouble, which would ultimately make me feel embarrassed.

Fear of embarrassment is my issue.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I still struggle with it. I'm getting better though.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    yes yes yes and yes...It was the reason I had an eating disorder...it affects both of my professions (school teacher and cake decorator) I have the Type A personality...I beat myself up if Im not perfect...This is actually something I hope to conquer before Im 30)...its miserable to beat yourself up over failure...or what you perceive as failure.
  • shoesforme
    Options
    Perfectionist... hmmm.. Either that or forever persistent. I have to win ( against myself ) and if I don't see the progress or success that I want - I dive into analytical mode to figure out the " answer". That applies to work, personal -- you name it.

Needless to say, in addition to this site, I log my daily intake into spreadsheets and create charts to "perfect" my ratios for ideal weight loss. :blushing:
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm a perfectionist. it's annoying.
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I just want to be better and better, ie, run longer, bike faster, get leaner, set new goals and achieve etc... i guess thats a sign of perfectionism (thats kind of relative though to me perfectionism is not something i would struggle with, it is just goals that i set up for myself and want to achieve).

How do you define perfectionism?

For me personally, I define it as always needing to have the right answer, always needing to know I'm doing the "right" thing before I jump in. Procrastinating because of indecision. If I make a wrong choice I'm a horrible person. If I make a mistake I'm a horrible person. If I don't reach my goal I'm a horrible no good human being. I set ridiculously high standards for myself and then feel like a horrible no-good terrible person for not reaching those standards. This is what I'm breaking through, breaking past, moving on from. Learning it's OK to make a mistake, that's how we learn. It's OK to make a decision and go with it no matter the outcome. I'm learning. :)