just started logging and have a question

Options
My question is: How do you know which food item to log when the options are so varied?

Example. I had a rib eye steak tonight
Options for a 8oz steak ranged from 200 calls to 400cals. Is there a better choice I'm missing or should i be measuring different in those situations.

Replies

• DeeDeeMee
    DeeDeeMee Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    When there is a discrepancy like this I like to double check the calories on another website like calorieking or something. You can google "calories ribeye steak" and it will come up with nutritional info. Ultimately it can depend on the amount of fat in your steak - more fat = higher cals.

I just googled it and it came up as 576 per 8 ounces, which is actually a pretty big steak. Also make sure you take the raw weight for meats as they are generally lighter when cooked but still just as calorie dense.

If you still can't get an answer you have a couple of options:

Usually there are lots of records, so try to find the average, or what most of them say and go with that (not always accurate, but a safe bet).

OR

Go with the highest one to be on the safe side.

:)
  • C76lewis
    C76lewis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thx for the tips.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Use the one with the weight .. in grams or oz. (not cups .. measuring cups make crappy measuring devices). and weigh your food. Use the nutritional information if you have it.

I only use the database for things like fruit .. where I don't have the nutritional info.

Good luck.