Anyone have a TAGINE? Help with Recipes please?

Options
Snoozypaws3000
Snoozypaws3000 Posts: 133 Member
I've never cooked with a tagine before but got one as a gift [arriving tomorrow] I am assuming that it's a bit like a slow cooker [crock pot?]

Anyway, I know that it's supposed to be great for doing Moroccan dishes in [have never cooked anything like this before but am going to search the internet for some recipes]

Just wondered if anyone here had one and if so if they can give me some advice or some low calorie recipes I could try out.
Do you just put meat and veg in there and let it steam away?

I am told that Ras El Hanout spice is good to use in there but I don't have any of this at the moment but I have a ton of other herbs and spices so would be grateful if someone could share an easy starter recipe for me to try.

In the fridge I have some chicken breast, a Rump steak and pack of extra lean minced steak that I could use and lots of different fresh veg

Many thanks in advance for your help
Sky x

Replies

• ThePoopsnacker
    ThePoopsnacker Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I used a site called "Google" -- silly name, I know. I used my internets browser to get to google.com. Then, I typed "tagine recipes" in and hit "Enter" on my keyboard, and got a long list of ideas for recipes using a "tajine". Hope that helps!
  • Garsdebois
    Options
    Hello! You can put everything in it and cook slowly but it is more for the meat. The way it work is that all the evaporation from the meat condensed at the top and fall on your meat over and over to keep it moiste.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hi! It's not like a slow cooker... it's a special clay pot you put on your stovetop. It makes absolutely delicious foods and requires very little fat to get things going. Here's a recipe I love:

http://www.food.com/recipe/tagine-of-chicken-preserved-lemon-olives-77530

It's so good. :) You can make it with chicken breasts OR thighs. Either should work.
  • BokBagok
    BokBagok Posts: 345
    Options
    I've done this one in my slow cooker, but it's made for a tagine. I've even done it with chicken too - yum.

http://moroccanfood.about.com/od/vegetarianmaindishes/r/moroccan_carrot_chickpea_tagine.htm
  • LankyYankee
    LankyYankee Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I had one till I broke it! They're awesome, and yes work very much like a slow cooker! There are plenty of recipes out there, but this one was always a crowd pleaser

http://www.thekitchn.com/moroccan-recipe-chicken-tagine-with-apricots-almonds-chickpeas-recipes-from-the-kitchn-175757

Served it with couscous and naan, never got a bad reaction
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I used a site called "Google" -- silly name, I know. I used my internets browser to get to google.com. Then, I typed "tagine recipes" in and hit "Enter" on my keyboard, and got a long list of ideas for recipes using a "tajine". Hope that helps!

I like you
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

I like you

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tagine+recipes
  • Snoozypaws3000
    Options

Errm Thanks...I did say that I was going to search for recipes on the Internet in my post.
    I was after some low fat recipes that have been tried and tested by MFP's based on the ingredients I had but thanks anyway
  • Snoozypaws3000
    Options
    Many thanks to all those who gave me a useful reply

Thanks so much

x
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's not really like a slow cooker - and you can make tagine recipes in a normal pan with a fitted lid, so there's nothing magical about the piece of kit itself.

I like to sweat an onion in a little oil, add chunks of meat or chicken to brown them. Add spices such as cumin, coriander, garlic, ginger. A tin of tomaotes or else some stock for liquid. Presevred lemons add a bit of authenticity - you can find them in a jar in the deli section of the supermarket. Sometimes a stick of cinammon. Let it simmer gently, but really, it wont take more than an hour.

In terms of making it lower cal - well, reduce the oil. But it's what you serve it with which will pack the biggest calorie punches - rice, couscous etc. So have a smaller portion of those.