overdid it. now what?

Options
Yesterday was terrible and I went over a lot. Today back under control and in a better mind set. Just curious for the next couple days do I aim for slightly under my goal or not. Just unsure of how to proceed.

Replies

• caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Its ok no ones perfect stay focused in your goal
  • k_sinc
    k_sinc Posts: 39
    Options
    Don't let it get you down, we all have those days :-)

Acknowledge that maybe it was a bit too much, learn from it, and carry on :-)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I would just continue on business as usual and keep a note. If this becomes a pattern, you may want to re-evaluate your daily calorie goal. When I try to restrict too much, I become a ravenous beast and consume the kitchen in one night. For me, having a higher daily target helps me stop that and allows for occasional treats that would otherwise be out of reach and makes me HANGRY. :flowerforyou:
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't try to compensate for it on subsequent days. Just stick to the goal and don't let the inevitable trip ups derail you entirely. It's ok to trip up. Don't blow the rest of the day or week because of one.
  • Dino_bacon2112
    Dino_bacon2112 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Pick yourself up, brush yourself off, do better tomorrow.

When it happens again (because it happens to everybody) do the same. :flowerforyou:
  • jimmyphil13
    Options
    Just stay the course! Everyone needs a cheat day from time to time anyway. It helps to keep your metabolism from getting stuck in a rut. Also, keep in mind that if your current calorie goal is set to lose weight, even if you went over by around 1000 calories you're not going to be gaining any weight from today. For example: my current calorie goal is set at 1500 net calories per day. That's 1000 less than if I were trying to maintain my current weight. So, it helps me to lose about 1.5-2 pounds per week. On Christmas day, I splurged, and ate 2500 calories. However, that only meant that I neither gained nor lost any weight on that day. If you have days like this, you're not continuing to lose weight, but you're not hurting yourself by gaining anything back, and you're definitely not stopping your current progress. Just get back to your calorie goal tomorrow and you'll be good. Keep it up!!
  • youtubeworkouter
    youtubeworkouter Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have one of those days probably twice a month and I still lost 55 lbs in 5 and a half months. don't reduce your calories now though. just keep up the good work! if your on MFP, your trying. good for you! just try to do better from here on. :)
  • youtubeworkouter
    youtubeworkouter Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Just stay the course! Everyone needs a cheat day from time to time anyway. It helps to keep your metabolism from getting stuck in a rut. Also, keep in mind that if your current calorie goal is set to lose weight, even if you went over by around 1000 calories you're not going to be gaining any weight from today. For example: my current calorie goal is set at 1500 net calories per day. That's 1000 less than if I were trying to maintain my current weight. So, it helps me to lose about 1.5-2 pounds per week. On Christmas day, I splurged, and ate 2500 calories. However, that only meant that I neither gained nor lost any weight on that day. If you have days like this, you're not continuing to lose weight, but you're not hurting yourself by gaining anything back, and you're definitely not stopping your current progress. Just get back to your calorie goal tomorrow and you'll be good. Keep it up!!

good point! thank you.
  • TXEXrunner
    TXEXrunner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Agree with others. Don't worry about making up for the indulgence - just move forward and work towards your goals!
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    No. You don't compensate past a slip up day. You just log accurately and do NOT beat yourself up. Getting into that guilt/shaming thing isn't a mindset you need when you're working on becoming a healthier person. Now if this was a once a week major binge blowout I would suggest looking at diet and see if you're too restrictive or lacking somehwere... but an isolated incident. Hey, they happen!
  • sweetmommyofthree
    sweetmommyofthree Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I logged my day, and niw looking back there were some "triggers" that caused the excess eating. Going to makes notes so when I come up against it in the future I will be ready!
  • jessicag1361
    jessicag1361 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do that sometimes, and the best thing is just to get back on track the next day. Don't let one day ruin your entire week! Everyone has bad days, it's normal. But get back on track, you can do it!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I had a massive binge 3 days ago, I just went back on track, although I was so hungry yesterday I had to go over by a bit again. Oh well.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Just jump right back on where you left off. One day is a very MINOR setback - it won't break you.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Just get back on track....I have slip ups all the time! If you feel really bad, up your exercise :wink:
  • JohnsElan
    Options
    You shame us all! Just kidding :laugh:

ohfudgegiftumblr_zps471240c9.gif?w=610

Own it. Accept your transgression, log it, and carry on trying your best. We're only human and we all will fail at one time or another. Your success will be a result of recovering from failure.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
    -Winston Churchill
  • erockjustin77
    Options
    LOG IT! My new approach is this: Log everything. Cause when I'm great for 10 days and bad for 4 I don't want to be frustrated by no loss. I'll know "oh yeah, that four days..."
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    giddy up
    and go kick some *kitten*