I really need help / advice!

Options
Hi everyone,
I'm writing this in hope that I don't get the smart *kitten* comments and that somebody can really help or offer advice! I have been calorie counting and exercising and healthy eating for about 7 weeks now. With no weight loss. And it is really getting me down!!! I don't always eat perfect! E.g yesterday we baked cookies, I found the healthiest I could, but I still keep within my calories when I do have a sneaky treat!

About me, I am 21 years old, and I have never been thin and never expect to be. I have always been physically fit but larger built. I get my genetics from my dads side if the family -who are all large aka fat- and always have been told ill have to watch my weight from as young as I can remember.
Going back a couple of years. I normally average around 70kg, which I know is still a lot to people but at that I am a uk size 12-14 and am fit and usually muscled from the gym! In 2011 I did slimfast for a few months (about 3-4) and lost 12kg! This was hard work and everybody told me I looked ill! I felt great with the way I looked but had to work out 2 hours at the gym every day and barely eat! I kept this off for about 4 months after coming off slimfast and them my relationship broke down and I went back to 'normal' basically, eating! And I gained all 12kg back. I was my normal weight again but felt fat obviously. Anyways I was fine with it Nd accepted that thAts obviously my natural plateau!

(Sorry this is so long but I'm hoping it helps me get help!)

So in November 2012 I went travelling! I have spent the last year in Australia (amazing, just go do it! Backpack anywhere it's amazing) and whilst doing so I gained 20kg!! Now whilst I hate the fact I gained the weight I wouldn't change it because it all was part of my amazing time, eating food with people from all over the world and drinking lots of beer!

SKIP TO HERE TO CUT BORING BACKGROUND

So now!! I am currently in New Zealand, I am here for a year aswell, but I just need to lose the weight. I am a nanny and will be here for 6 months! I have joined the gym and I am luckily with a very healthy family who eat organic food and lots of fruit and veg etc. So as soon as I got here 7 weeks ago I started healthy eating and 4 weeks ago joined the gym. My aim is to lose the 20kg I have gained in Oz, if more amazing!! But the 20kg in 6 months minimum.

I have been at it for 7 weeks and lost 0kg, yeh you heard 0kg :(

What I do!!
My standard calorie intake is 1200 a day. This is if I don't do any exercise.
If I exercise I eat back half the calories. I just eat half because I don't want to cheat myself out of it and use mfp and machines calorie estimate!
I keep my exercise varied so that 1, I don't get bored and 2, to work lots of different areas and muscles! Some things I do -walking in treadmill, varied pace and uphill or flat. Usually 20minutes . - cross trainer machine. Usually 20 minutes. - weight machines for legs and arms. I do 2 sets of 12 reps on each as advised by a personal trainer whoi asked! - Group power, like the les mills pump class! Which I love and is working at giving me muscley arms. - rowing machine. 10 minutes. - squats - sit-ups and crunches. - planks. Etc!! Obviously not all at same time.

So why isn't it working :(????

My stats.
Height: 5 foot 5. Female. Current weight : 87kg. Target weight 67-70kg.
I do have a larger frame. I am currently carrying fat around my tummy and my legs and my arms and my face n neck!

Anyone got any help? Should I eat less calories? Should I up my exercise? Any exercises that worked for you?

Thanks for reading all this!! Sorry it's so long, I am just at my wits end of not seeing the scale or fat move! :frown:

Replies

• LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It isn't working bc of operator error (you're doing something wrong calculation-wise)
    Do you weigh your food before yielding calorie counts? Are you counting cooking oils? Are you estimating anything?

Another thing is you shouldn't get into the habit of eating back cals and eating less on non workout days. Use a calculator that averages calories based on weekly activity so you can eat the same amount every day. GOOGLE: IIFYM Calculator
  • kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh everything you eat? It could easily be that you're eating more than you think and a food scale (and measuring cups for liquid) is the only way to know for sure.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    in addition to weighing and measuring keep in mind that the database isnt perfect.

if a calorie count seems to good to be true then it more than likely is . i recently found somethng that was listed as being 600 calories less on the database than it actually is
  • heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Despite the calorie side already noted, I'd suggest that exercising be done on more little and often intervals. 30min run every other day would be better than a 2hr run once a week. I'm based in Whangaparaoa, Auckland region if you're still stuck and/or need an outdoor exercise buddy.
  • Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I have been weighing my food for the last 3 weeks so I know the amounts are correct. I also usually scan the barcode on items so all the correct things come up from it.

How do I open my diary? I am happy to if it helps!

I do an hour workout at a time. Usually 5-6 times a week. This can be an hour class. Or half cardio half weights. Or more cardio than weights and visa versa!

I would love a buddy! But I'm based in Nelson, so too far :( but thank you so much for offering !
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Just relax. Give yourself a break, treat yourself to something you enjoy...a nice long bath, a long look up into the stars or anything that brings you peace and comfort.

Remember, this is a journey that takes baby steps and lots of self love. It takes years to learn unhealthy eating habits and all that surrounds it..likewise, it will take many moons to recover.

Be nice to yourself and you will get there.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    You are probably eating more calories than you realise. Not logging properly and the like. Usually the way for these type of posts. Genetics very rarely have an affect to the extent that you cant lose weight.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I have been weighing my food for the last 3 weeks so I know the amounts are correct. I also usually scan the barcode on items so all the correct things come up from it.

The barcode scanner is only as good as the person who matched up items. I have on several occasions scanned a barcode and got a result that was not even the same type of food I was entering (for example one time I scanned a store brand greek yogurt and it came up with a cheese product instead) so do be careful of that, you still have to look at the labels to be certain the information is correct. Just thought I'd throw that in.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    in addition to the other advice - are you measuring/taking photos? because i notice that sometimes it takes time for the scale to move, while meanwhile your body is changing and it becomes noticable in clothing/photos.

otherwise - most likely you aren't logging something/s.
  • Rachelc1992
    Options

The barcode scanner is only as good as the person who matched up items. I have on several occasions scanned a barcode and got a result that was not even the same type of food I was entering (for example one time I scanned a store brand greek yogurt and it came up with a cheese product instead) so do be careful of that, you still have to look at the labels to be certain the information is correct. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Thanks! I've always just trusted it :) I will check the labels too now x
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options

Your TDEE is 2026 (sedentry). Your eating 1200 calories/day (before exercise). You should be eating about 1600 calories/day (before exercise).
    If I exercise I eat back half the calories. I just eat half because I don't want to cheat myself out of it and use mfp and machines calorie estimate!

Seems reasonable.
    I have been at it for 7 weeks and lost 0kg, yeh you heard 0kg :(
    I don't think you're measuring your food properly or you're not logging everything you eat.
    If you strongly disagree, then i'd suggest going to the doctor and having the usual thyroid/blood tests.

Whilst being an advocate and follower of IIFYM, you're making life hard for yourself by eating cookies. You need to build some momentum, get to know your body, know when you can have cookies and when its just unnecessary.

Be consistent, log everything, buy a pedometer, report back in 4 weeks.
  • Rachelc1992
    Options
    in addition to the other advice - are you measuring/taking photos? because i notice that sometimes it takes time for the scale to move, while meanwhile your body is changing and it becomes noticable in clothing/photos.

otherwise - most likely you aren't logging something/s.

I haven't taken any measurements as I want the weight to shift. But if it makes me feel better then it's worth a shot!! :)

I am pretty good with logging on the most. I even will log it if it makes me go over or doesn't look good. (Last time I wouldn't, only cheating myself)! But this time I'm like hmm well went over 300, lets see where!
  • Rachelc1992
    Options

Your TDEE is 2026 (sedentry). Your eating 1200 calories/day (before exercise). You should be eating about 1600 calories/day (before exercise).

Seems reasonable.

I don't think you're measuring your food properly. Whilst being an advocate and follower of IIFYM, you're making life hard for yourself by eating cookies.
    You need to build some momentum, get to know your body, know when you can have cookies and when its just unnecessary.
    Be consistent, log everything, buy a pedometer, report back in 4 weeks.

Thanks, a few people have mentioned 1600 to me. I've worked out my bmr and that came out at 1600ish so I subtracted to eat a loss? And mfp came up with 1200 aswell! But I am going to try and up it (with healthy foods) and see how it goes! Can't be any worse?

I know about the cookies! But it's so hard with looking after kids. And yes that's me making an excuse for myself right there! I will really try :) I did make a super healthy tea tonight to make up for it (in my head) haha.
  • Rachelc1992
    Options
    I just wanted to say THANK YOU for everyone's comments. They've all been helpful and I am going to take it all on board and keep pushing forward! I hope to report back on this thread soon that I've seen a loss, on scales or tape measure!!
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Thanks, a few people have mentioned 1600 to me. I've worked out my bmr and that came out at 1600ish so I subtracted to eat a loss? And mfp came up with 1200 aswell!

TDEE-20% is 1600 calories.
    You shouldn't use your BMR.
    *Most* people say you should not eat less than your BMR.
    But I am going to try and up it (with healthy foods) and see how it goes! Can't be any worse?
    You've done it for 7 weeks. It's not working. Time to change, not keep your head in the sand.
    I know about the cookies! But it's so hard with looking after kids. And yes that's me making an excuse for myself right there! I will really try :) I did make a super healthy tea tonight to make up for it (in my head) haha.
    It's a slippery slope and will quickly diminish any weight loss you were expecting....

EDIT : Not trying to sound harsh, but i don't have time to dress it up... and figure most people need to hear stuff straight.
  • daimere
    daimere Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    "I haven't taken any measurements as I want the weight to shift. But if it makes me feel better then it's worth a shot!! :)"

Taking measurements IS worth it. Because there have been times I've had paltry losses but that month, I lost 10 inches across my body. Example currently is that all my clothes are fitting the same. I took my measurements and it seems that in one spot I lost 5 inches (I lose fast on my waist and ribcage and then everything catches up).
  • heroeslegend
    heroeslegend Posts: 44 Member
    Options

How do I open my diary? I am happy to if it helps!

I do an hour workout at a time. Usually 5-6 times a week. This can be an hour class. Or half cardio half weights. Or more cardio than weights and visa versa!

I would love a buddy! But I'm based in Nelson, so too far :( but thank you so much for offering !
    :) Any time! Jealous you're not in the big smog!