why do I look fatter?

Options
I have been eating a lot of junk food this week but I haven't gained any weight. however, it looks like I have gained 10 pounds! my face looks chubbier and its driving me crazy! Im comparing myself to last week so it cant be due to muscle loss and fat gain, right? is it all in my head or is there an explanation?
and yes, I do realize i sound stupid and obsessive!

Replies

• MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    It's maybe because you did ate the junk food?
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    It's because you're fatter.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    It's maybe because you did ate the junk food?

Yes and no. Could be bloat from a sudden upswing in carbs/sodium via the junk food. But that's temporary and shouldn't be stressed over.
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    You're probably bloated from putting too much rubbish into your system?
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options

This.

Most likely all the sodium intake. Drink lots of water and it should decrease.
    And stay away from sodium induced foods. You should aim for no more than 1000mg of sodium a day. (1500 if you're pushing it.) Also keep in mind serving sizes. Just because a serving has 200mg of sodium doesn't mean you should eat the whole bag if it has 5 servings in it.
  • Achrya
    Options

This.

And stay away from sodium induced foods. You should aim for no more than 1000mg of sodium a day. (1500 if you're pushing it.) Also keep in mind serving sizes. Just because a serving has 200mg of sodium doesn't mean you should eat the whole bag if it has 5 servings in it.

I'm always temporarily surprised when I realize people actually pay attention to sodium numbers.

Anyway assuming OP has no medical issues why is no more than 1000 mg the goal? MFP has 2500 as the goal, for perspective.

Further note, I average 3500 a day and I am none the worse for wear and don't bloat up either.
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    like they said, junk food has A LOT of sodium, and cause of that youre probably just full of water, if its temp..... if not, lets work out
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options

This.

:noway: Well... even on my best days I clear 1500...
    It's either: water weight from all the sodium OR you are a girl. You feel fat some days. I've lost like 30 pounds, and it's a huge noticeable difference, most of the time I feel awesome. BUT some days, I feel like I look just as big as I used to. I just don't feel attractive and skinny/fit every single day.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

This.

Please, please don't listen to this. That little sodium is bad for your health. It diminishes your electrolytes and prevents the proper transportation of nutrients around your body. Whilst too much sodium can be bad for you if you are overweight or have related medical conditions, having too little sodium is much worse.
  • janeanray3
    janeanray3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    but I haven't gained weight for it to be water weight! thats why this is bugging me so much! before if I had a fun weekend of going out and eating a little more, I would gained 1 or 2 pounds but it would go down a couple days after. this time though, my weight is exactly the SAME as last week.
  • Achrya
    Options
    Well then. You're crazy and it's all in your head.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    my weight is exactly the SAME as last week.

Your weight is made up of a lot of things which regularly fluctuate. That is why it is a poor marker of success in isolation.

You could be retaining water but this has been offset by loss of other things: glycogen, food which has moved through the digestive tract and then been excreted and so forth.

You could also just be crazy.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    but I haven't gained weight for it to be water weight! thats why this is bugging me so much! before if I had a fun weekend of going out and eating a little more, I would gained 1 or 2 pounds but it would go down a couple days after. this time though, my weight is exactly the SAME as last week.

You are a female! I have woken up feeling fat and gross only to find out that the number on the scale went down. You can feel fat without actually BEING fat lol
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    believe me, the mind is a very, very powerful thing.