I'm so picky

Options
I HATE how picky I am but I can't help it, I'm a meat and potatoes kinda girl. I feel like the only 'healthy' meals I can eat are grilled/baked chicken breast or steak because I can not stand the texture of seafood. The only vegetables I actually like are corn, potatoes, carrots (uncooked) tomatoes and beans. PLEASE HELP ME find more good food!

Replies

• jessiddr10
    Options
    you eat more vegetables then I do. I just eat potatoes and tomatoes
  • shadowrealms
    Options
    I am EXACTLY (literally) the same way, except I don't like tomatoes.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you like beans, you might be okay with peas. For some people this is completely out of the question, but could you sneak a little pumpkin/sweet potato/cauliflower/broccoli in to your potato when you mash it? Add in some herbs (spring onions, onion flakes, coriander, parsley anything you like/will eat) and see if you can take it that way when the texture and such is out of the equation. Just cook it super well in a little stock, so it blends in flawlessly.

The other thing I'd suggest is just encourage yourself to try a new thing each month (or whatever) and try it a bunch of different ways; some things taste a million dollars baked, but raw or boiled they're icky, use recipes that sound nice to you, so that the new thing you're trying is with tastes you're familiar and comfortable with.
  • monisiaczeq
    monisiaczeq Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Great way to sneak veg in is to make a soup and then use a blender to make a "cream". I do often! Use some chicken stock, throw in some frozen peas, bit of onion and some mushrooms. cook it all, once cooked blend it all together. i find the creamy texture comforting and definitely filling. you can season however you like- i enjoy spicy food so i always add chillies and any kind of spicy herb mix!!
    another idea is to make cauliflower crust pizza!! plenty of recipes around, not a carb heavy meal and you can add all your favorite toppings!! ive never tried it but might be worth giving a go!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    What don't you like about other vegetables? Have you experimented with different vegies and different cooking techniques?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    not picky at all, sounds good to me
  • HelloFromKS
    Options
    What don't you like about other vegetables? Have you experimented with different vegies and different cooking techniques?

Mostly the texture or bitterness. They most I've gone out of my comfort zone is raw spinach in my salad or cooked in my lasagna. I LOVE the flavor onions and peppers give but hate the slimy texture. Peas don't smell to great, squash is another that looks too slimy for my taste. Same reason I don't like seafood.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Mostly the texture or bitterness. They most I've gone out of my comfort zone is raw spinach in my salad or cooked in my lasagna. I LOVE the flavor onions and peppers give but hate the slimy texture. Peas don't smell to great, squash is another that looks too slimy for my taste. Same reason I don't like seafood.

Try roasting your veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus). They get a lovely crunchy texture and taste phenominal! Same goes for squash. Try cubing it, tossing it with a little oil, salt, pepper, cayenne and cumin and roasting (tossing every 15 min) until carmelized and delicious.

Peppers don't have to be slimy - have you tried eating them raw? Maybe you're cooking your peppers and onions in too much oil if they are really greasy?

I totally agree with you on peas ... yuck! :wink:
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    In that case I'd definitely recommend, like an above poster did, that you try some vegetable soups. One of my favourite combos is fairly equal amounts of potato, celery, carrot, onion and zucchini. Peel the potato, and carrot, dice everything up and chuck in a pot, cover with water and a little stock (I like chicken) and let it cook until it's really soft. Once it's almost falling apart, blend it in a food processor or with a stick blender until there's no lumps at all. It's creamy and filling, and it's the same texture potato soup would be. Add in some bacon if you want the flavour addition, just a little goes a long way.

Curries and casseroles are another great way to get things in, when food is hot and spicy and packed with flavour, you might not notice the smell of peas if you throw a few in with your chicken or meat and let it absorb in with everything else. Again, I'd keep the other ingredients ones that you're familiar with, so it's not too daunting. Spinach is another good thing, if you're already 'okay' with it in some meals. I sometimes use a chopped frozen spinach cube and toss it into my usual spicy mince sauce (bolognese-ish, with cayenne added), you can see it, but not taste or feel it in you mouth.

Blending things like onions up with a stick blender might mean you can enjoy their flavour in dishes without coming across pieces large enough to distinguish/find slimy.
  • Charlenemon
    Options
    Have you tried trout or salmon steaks? Bake in the oven, maybe with some salt and pepper, then have new potatos on the side, with some green beans. Very nice meal :)
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I hate vegetables too. Just eat more protein.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    green smoothies are good to get in veggies and fruits.

something about veggies. make a list of all veggies you have tried.. the ones you like.. dont like and post it here

maybe we can give you new veggies to try.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I am not picky at all, thats what got me here to start with.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Try roasting your veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus). They get a lovely crunchy texture and taste phenominal! Same goes for squash. Try cubing it, tossing it with a little oil, salt, pepper, cayenne and cumin and roasting (tossing every 15 min) until carmelized and delicious.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Love me some roasted veggies... also good roasted is butternut and acorn squash and believe it or not, cabbage!

Also, have you tried mashed cauliflower? It comes out very similar to mashed potatoes. I usually just wing it making mine but there are a ton of recipes online.
  • HelloFromKS
    Options
    Thank you all for your input! I'm going to try your suggestions in baby steps, the blending of veggies sounds like it will be right up my alley. I was sort of hesitant to post anything for fear of unkind responses but I really enjoy all the positive feedback, thanks again!