Cheat days, yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Nay! It takes me too long to undo the cheat day again, causing my weight to stall instead of losing. I can have a cheat hour perhaps so now and then, but a whole day does too much damage for me. Besides I enjoy the foods I eat, so I shouldn't see why I should have a cheat day.
  • feadzy
    feadzy Posts: 22
    Options
    I have them kind of.
    Once or twice a week I get something, that is not that good for me (like candy or.. anything ;P ) but I'll make sure it fits within my day.
    Sometimes I go over my calories, but thats okay. I'll log it, to keep track and try to make it up a bit during the week.
    Also on holidays or celebrations, I let myself go over board but I don't know if I will handle it the same way in future times.. felt so ****ty after christmas :/
  • louiseoxford
    louiseoxford Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who say it depends on you and how controlled you can be with yourself! If I have a cheat day then I usually fall off the wagon all together and really go crazy with food (turns into a cheat week). However, a meal out or 'cheat' meal (pasta bake or similar) once every couple of weeks works for me, I then don't deprive myself completely but don't allow myself to go completely out of control. I also find bad food makes me feel sluggish and horrid which makes me crave more bad food, it's a horrid cycle and I just have very bad willpower when it comes to food, once I cheese I just can't stop!!

Try and figure out what's best for you, try cheat days and see how you get on!
  • dannibefit
    dannibefit Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yay for proper cheat meals!! ..nay for cheat days.
  • pgn301
    pgn301 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yay, if it fits within my Macros for the day I eat whatever I want in moderation of course.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I have cheat meals also, Fridays night and Saturday night are cheats and I have what I want. As said, it keeps me sane.

This won't be forever, just while I'm losing. Once I'm at a weight I'm happy with I'll eat what I want in moderation.

Why would you do that? Why not spend your "losing weight" time as a time to learn HOW to "eat what you want in moderation?" If you think you're going to diet yourself thin and then magically just "know" how to eat everything in moderation, I fear you have another thing coming.

Because I want to. If I want something in the week or I'm out, I have it, then adjust accordingly. I just stick to a loose schedule as above because it works for me.
  • NatalieG525
    NatalieG525 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm having a cheat meal tonight. Spicy pulled pork in burger buns. But I've stayed within my calorie limit for the rest of the day, as I don't believe an entire cheat day will be helpful to my goals :)
  • encho
    encho Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hah! People who admit to have cheat days seem to have worse stats, based on their ticker. So no cheats for me, thanks!
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Personally, I eat everything in moderation and don't have planned "cheat" days or meals. If I am going out to a restaurant or a party, I try to work it into my day as best as possible.

I do, however, let life happen and go over my calorie goal or don't worry about my macros on occasion (birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.).

^^^This!

Same here. I fit food I love into my day and if I go over I go over.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I allow myself one cheat meal ever week. not a cheat day... just one cheat MEAL per week. I don't always use them though. :)
  • mtlprs
    mtlprs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on what you do. If a cheat day for you is to have a special meal and desert, go for it. If a cheat day means you eat a pound of bacon, half a pepperoni pizza, a bottle of wine and a bag of chips, well, maybe you should skip it! It all comes down to logic, you must remember that those extra calories ARE extra calories, you will have to loose them at one point. Myself, I do enjoy the occasional special meal/desert, however I don't over do it. I used to gain 10lbs during the holidays, this year I gained 4....
    I had all those "special meals" and now I'm mad as hell....
  • hotrodhoodlum28
    hotrodhoodlum28 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No!! if your overweight your addicted to food .Would you give a drink to a X alcoholic ? Trust me Im 59 years old and been over weight my whole life I have tried every way possible to loose the weight . The only way to do it is make a life change not a diet , Diets are just another reason to fail again if you include the food that got you here
  • wmurru
    wmurru Posts: 1
    Options
    I do once a week. But still journal my food that day. According to some diet and fitness literature, the cheat day stops your body form going into starvation mode and shutting down your metabolism which happens in 5 to 7 days. Also it does help withheld cravings if you knowxa is coming when you can have whatever you are craving.
  • Charlottie88
    Options
    Even people who have no weight issues pig out occasionally - I don't necessarily think having a cheat day means you're encouraging bad behaviours around food, but I guess everyone is different. I definitely understand how that might not help some people. Does anyone else wake up and for the entire day, you are just starving, whatever you eat? A few days ago I ate within my goal up until after dinner, trying to keep the hunger in check even though I was ravenous. I ended up just eating - my body obviously wanted some extra food for whatever reason and Id rather just give into it than spend the rest of the night/next few days miserable and craving food. If it doesnt happen often, then I dont see the problem.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    If it helps you stick with it long term, go for it!
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I do once a week. But still journal my food that day. According to some diet and fitness literature, the cheat day stops your body form going into starvation mode and shutting down your metabolism which happens in 5 to 7 days. Also it does help withheld cravings if you knowxa is coming when you can have whatever you are craving.

Wait what? if you stop cheat days your body goes into starvation mode? Thats a new one I havent heard of....Where did you hear this from??

Any way I dont do cheat days. I also dont eat at 1200 I eat between 1400-1500 and eat everything I want just smaller portions
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Even people who have no weight issues pig out occasionally - I don't necessarily think having a cheat day means you're encouraging bad behaviours around food, but I guess everyone is different. I definitely understand how that might not help some people. Does anyone else wake up and for the entire day, you are just starving, whatever you eat? A few days ago I ate within my goal up until after dinner, trying to keep the hunger in check even though I was ravenous. I ended up just eating - my body obviously wanted some extra food for whatever reason and Id rather just give into it than spend the rest of the night/next few days miserable and craving food. If it doesnt happen often, then I dont see the problem.

Where you ovulating/pmsing?
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    It all depends.

For me, I think I wouldn't be able to handle the fact I have eaten something AMAZING and then have to go back. I think I will only 'cheat' if I have birthday meals, anniversaries, things like that.
  • hfbs616
    hfbs616 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't like cheat days. They throw me off from the habit I'm trying to build. If I really want something I try to work it in to my day. I think everyone does a little cheating here and there, such as when a craving hits or when I can't avoid eating unhealthy things. So, putting a whole day to "cheating" seems weird to me.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming to do a cheat meal once a week. I've done it before then I stopped for a bit, but I'm trying it again. I usually just have a nice dessert, and I log it, and I usually exercise that day.

I'm pregnant, so having a cheat meal is stopping me eating junk in the week.