Is it possible for me to create a 500 calorie deficit?

Options
If my BMR is 1420 and my TDEE is 1700, then technically I can only safely create a 280 calorie deficit, right?

Replies

• MadCat
    MadCat Posts: 16
    Options
    Maybe throw in a workout so you can eat a little more?
  • wizkklx
    wizkklx Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You *can* eat less then 1420. Some people say you shouldn't eat less than your BMR, most guidelines say just no less than 1200. Others think less than 1200 is okay so long as they are VERY nutritious calories (think 800-ish) and you don't do it for too long (this is usually done under the care of a doctor to make sure you don't have any heath issues that might make it dangerous, something like VLCD for 2 weeks). You will lose a bit more muscle along with the fat than if you don't restrict calories so much. The point is your arm isn't going to fall off or anything if you eat less than 1420. But maybe you will be ravenously hungry and chew off your arm out of desperation. If that happens, make sure to post again with pics and let us know so that you can serve as a warning to others.

But let's say you want to be conservative and eat 1420. You can still get a 500 cal deficit by adding exercise to make up the difference.

500-280=220

You would need to burn 220 cal/day with exercise above and beyond what you already counted in the Activity Level (sedentary, moderate, active, pro athlete) question.
  • cocopies
    Options
    You *can* eat less then 1420. Some people say you shouldn't eat less than your BMR, most guidelines say just no less than 1200. Others think less than 1200 is okay so long as they are VERY nutritious calories (think 800-ish) and you don't do it for too long (this is usually done under the care of a doctor to make sure you don't have any heath issues that might make it dangerous, something like VLCD for 2 weeks). You will lose a bit more muscle along with the fat than if you don't restrict calories so much. The point is your arm isn't going to fall off or anything if you eat less than 1420. But maybe you will be ravenously hungry and chew off your arm out of desperation. If that happens, make sure to post again with pics and let us know so that you can serve as a warning to others.

But let's say you want to be conservative and eat 1420. You can still get a 500 cal deficit by adding exercise to make up the difference.

500-280=220

You would need to burn 220 cal/day with exercise above and beyond what you already counted in the Activity Level (sedentary, moderate, active, pro athlete) question.

So the energy I burn during exercise doesn't 'subtract' from my BMR? Considering I wanted to stay at my BMR of 1420, would I have to net 1420 and eat back those 220 calories?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you're doing TDEE correctly then you wouldnt be adding in extra calories from exercise.

TDEE means what your body needs to maintain its current weight, completely for that entire day with all your activity
  • sirvivor007
    sirvivor007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Take BMR 1420 X activity factor 1.2 for no exercise and TDEE is 1704 as you said. From there you can just burn 500 calories in exercise. You could burn 250 calories and eat 250 calories less. You could just eat 500 calories less and do no exercise. Of all the options the first has the most benefits. You get to eat more and have the health benefits of the exercise.

All 3 of these would create a 500 calorie deficit based on your info.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Maybe throw in a workout so you can eat a little more?

This. Your TDEE will increase with exercise.