Workout DVDs & Treadmills VS. GYM

Options
I am curious what results people have seen using strictly workout videos & running as their main exercise rather than going to the gym. I am currently working out with the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution DVD workout program (using weights & resistance bands at times) and using the treadmill or stationary bike sometimes too. Will this be an effective workout option compared to going to the gym for getting enough cardio and strength training??

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't step foot in a gym, never have, never will. Not my thing. I workout all the time at home with DVDs. After my first marathon I did P90X and went from size 6 to 0 without changing anything but doing that instead of running. I know train exclusively with at home DVD's, Running(treadmill and outdoors) and Road Bike on a Trainer. My two favorite at home DVD's are Brazil Butt Lift, because it fixes my weak runner's hips and keeps me injury free - and P90X2, for balance, stability, and strength. I've also done Asylum and Combat, both are good when I need something different to work with. I've ran 3 marathons, numerous half marathons, and exclusively train at home or on the road.
  • KRB28
    KRB28 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym (no time with two small children, although I would like to at some point). I do Zumba at home as well as Hip Hop Abs. And I've just ordered Brazil Butt lift so I'm currently waiting for that to arrive. And I'm also looking into getting an Elliptical for my basement. I've lost 28 pounds and lots of inches :)
  • SSAHM
    SSAHM Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I like the motivation the gym gives me but now that I have kids I just do DVDs and treadmill and I'm actually doing better......
  • jodiehong
    jodiehong Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The results will come, whether it's working out at the gym or at home. I do both--weekdays are DVDs to save time and go to the gym on Saturdays. Currently doing P90x3, did Insanity, T25, TurboFire, and Les Mills Combat. I think it's the intensity you put in in your workout! What do you like to do?
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I don't have free weights, barbells and plates at home so the gym is where I take myself to lift. I don't have space for all that equipment.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I dont use a treadmill, but I do workout dvds all the time.

I absolutely love them - they are really excuse proof.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I love my workout videos. Sometimes I use my Kettlebells, medicine balls and bands. It's much easier for me to workout at home right now. I used to belong to a gym. I prefer working out at home now.
  • jennbreaux
    Options
    I use to go to the gym but after kids it's too hard to get away. I've been doing insanity for 3 weeks and so far I like the DVDs better then the gym.
  • marcellara
    marcellara Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The results will come, whether it's working out at the gym or at home. I do both--weekdays are DVDs to save time and go to the gym on Saturdays. Currently doing P90x3, did Insanity, T25, TurboFire, and Les Mills Combat. I think it's the intensity you put in in your workout! What do you like to do?

I really like every workout DVD I have done :) Last year I did the Insanity Program and loved it!! I am going to look into buying some beach body DVD's after I get done with the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution program! I do Zumba on you tube also. I love things like kickboxing also. I have the Billy Blanks DVD set but have not tried that in a while. I am glad I posted this thread because I just wasn't sure! Thanks for the help :)
  • marcellara
    marcellara Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the help! I love working out to DVD's and honestly wouldn't know the first thing about what to do at the gym! Thanks again for the advice :)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    All devices that are designed to get you to spend money which you dont need to, except the gym.

Even so, with the gym, you could buy equipment at home that in both the long and short term will save you money. However, gyms in general have good equipment and are good for social interests.

However, workout DVDs... What is the point in them when there are loads of free routines available on YouTube and the like websites online? (except that they arent hosted by a well known celebrity but instead someone who actually looks like they know something about fitness)

Treadmill the same. I would just go running outside. Treadmills are large, bulky pieces of furniture which I guarantee you wont need forever and they do some of the work for you as opposed to running outside (apologies if this seems like a rant hehe).
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I only joined a gym so that I could start a proper lifting routine - I don't have the money or the space to put together a weights room at home so I needed the gym so that I could be certain to be able to constantly advance in terms of weight.

Once I'd joined however and the weather turned, I started using it for running on the treadmill - then I tried out the rower, and now that I have an injury which means I can only do low impact cardio, I'm going to use it for the stationary bike and Spin classes.

I actually love going to the gym. I used to workout at home using DVDs but I like that the gym ensures I have an hour a day away from my house/work and time that's just for me.
  • blossomnu
    blossomnu Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Even so, with the gym, you could buy equipment at home that in both the long and short term will save you money. However, gyms in general have good equipment and are good for social interests.

The equipment at my gym costs ~£3k a machine. So to me, £260/year is a pretty good way to be able to use as many different machines as I want.

I have endless DVDs and 'games', but I tend to get bored of them and I don't have much space at home. I also feel that gym equipment gives me a better workout and lets me test things to see what I like and what I get results from. The problem with buying things for yourself is that you can't afford to buy and test everything out there, so whatever you have you think is good.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    All devices that are designed to get you to spend money which you dont need to, except the gym.

However, workout DVDs... What is the point in them when there are loads of free routines available on YouTube and the like websites online? (except that they arent hosted by a well known celebrity but instead someone who actually looks like they know something about fitness)

Treadmill the same. I would just go running outside. Treadmills are large, bulky pieces of furniture which I guarantee you wont need forever and they do some of the work for you as opposed to running outside (apologies if this seems like a rant hehe).

Sure you can get the workouts on youtube but having a few DVD's is a good thing. The treadmill i used to have was awful but when my husband was at the firehouse for 24 hours and a few years back when the kids were too little to leave by themselves for a while, if a run were to happen outside some days I had to line up babysitting or just suck it up and hit the treadmill so I could run while they were sleeping. Now that they are older I run outside more often on those days BUT the treadmill still has it function when the weather is dangerous, like icy roads, sub zero temps, thunderstorms etc which you could have all freaking 3 weather conditions in one day in Chicago and then be sweating the next day.

As far as what will work best???? What will work best depends on your goals. If you are looking to compete in fitness competitions, then the gym might be a better place to go. Outside of that, if you are looking for fitness, health, and a nicer looker body then the most effective form of exercise is ANY exercise you will actually do and put some effort into. Might you be able to find a workout that is more effective than Zumba...sure...but if you hate it and won't do it then it become less effectove...so do what is fun for you.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I lost 1.5 stone doing Insanity alone. I haven't been in a gym for years.
  • wattsywoo
    wattsywoo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Over the years I have joined Gyms (usually in JAnuary!) and running clubs. I have found that I have failed miserably in keeping up my attendance (mainly due to work/home commitments)
    I have then lost faith in my ability to get fit and generally beat myself up about it.

I had a baby in September and of course that meant that my 'free time' (or 'me time'!) was practically non-existent. However this coincided with me being the heaviest I have ever been in my life. I am 139lbs - which may not sound much to some but im only 4ft11" so dont look a great shape. My belly and hips leave a lot to be desired.

I knew that even if I re-joined the gym and the running club, that by end of Jan I will have found myself back at not being able to attend or finding excuses not to go.

So- I purchased various DVD's off Ebay (Jillian Michaels various, 10 minute solutions, Davina McCall etc etc). I also found 'Fitness Blender' and '30 Day Challenge' online and I go out for a 20 minute/30 minute tempo run when possible.

I feel much motivated- Im on maternity leave- I know I have the time to do the DVDs while my daughter sleeps, I know can find 20 mins to run when my partner gets in from work.

The ONLY thing that will be in my way this time around will be ME- so I have to dig deep and get of my ever increasing, flabby backside.

there is no point in me moaning about how chubby I look if im not prepared to do anything about it.

So fingers crossed the DVDs will work for me!!
    good luck everyone else.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Sure you can get the workouts on youtube but having a few DVD's is a good thing. The treadmill i used to have was awful but when my husband was at the firehouse for 24 hours and a few years back when the kids were too little to leave by themselves for a while, if a run were to happen outside some days I had to line up babysitting or just suck it up and hit the treadmill so I could run while they were sleeping. Now that they are older I run outside more often on those days BUT the treadmill still has it function when the weather is dangerous, like icy roads, sub zero temps, thunderstorms etc which you could have all freaking 3 weather conditions in one day in Chicago and then be sweating the next day.

As far as what will work best???? What will work best depends on your goals. If you are looking to compete in fitness competitions, then the gym might be a better place to go. Outside of that, if you are looking for fitness, health, and a nicer looker body then the most effective form of exercise is ANY exercise you will actually do and put some effort into. Might you be able to find a workout that is more effective than Zumba...sure...but if you hate it and won't do it then it become less effectove...so do what is fun for you.
    [/quote]

"Sure you can get the workouts on youtube but having a few DVD's is a good thing"
    You havent convinced me with this statement, and a lot of DVDs these days are hosted by celebrities who have been seen in the media to have lost a stone. Why would I pay to listen to them just because they had a good few months when I could get a free show from someone that appears to have been in fitness for decades.

Husband working 24 hours, kids, icy weather - this situation is relevant for a small niche of people, and icy weather for a few days a year - again, is this enough justification to have an expensive, massive piece of furniture which you will probably end up not using.

Am not trying to start a riot here and granted you had a couple of personal reasons but am baffled here by the amount of people who consider treadmills over a perfectly good road/park/trail/path outside.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    >>>>>>>>>>You havent convinced me with this statement, and a lot of DVDs these days are hosted by celebrities who have been seen in the media to have lost a stone. Why would I pay to listen to them just because they had a good few months when I could get a free show from someone that appears to have been in fitness for decades.

Husband working 24 hours, kids, icy weather - this situation is relevant for a small niche of people, and icy weather for a few days a year - again, is this enough justification to have an expensive, massive piece of furniture which you will probably end up not using.

Am not trying to start a riot here and granted you had a couple of personal reasons but am baffled here by the amount of people who consider treadmills over a perfectly good road/park/trail/path outside.>>>>>>>>

I am saying that for a new mom who is staying home with her kids, where time windows might be limited and where the child is not to be left at home alone during said time window, a treadmill could be handy. In Chicago, the weather sucks sometimes. I am a runner, I run outside most of the time...but the last 2 weeks have been crappy running conditions with dangerous cold and deep snow that isn't getting plowed. I have used the treadmill at my school or at my gym. I would greatly prefer to run outside on a good road/ path/ trail etc but it isn't always the best choice when your time window to make it happen is 9:30 at night in the snow.

The DVD thing is all about finding something that motivates you. I know I can find videos on youtube, but I also know myself that I would get distracted at choosing one and I would spend a good amount of my workout time playing around looking at videos. I have a few DVD's that do the job when I cannot or should not run that day or get to bike out or go to a spin class or go for a swim, BUT they are ready to go, I know what I need to go about them, AND I do them in those weird windows of time that us busy mom's seem to fine.....ie I get the credits rolling while I start dinner, workout for 20-25 minutes, run into the kitchen to remove food from stovetop/oven to set or cool and then do a cool down...I normally workout for 45-60 minutes but if I only have a tiny window a pre chosen DVD gives me the opportunity to do something...which is always better than nothing (minus the days where active rest or resting an injury comes into play) And as far as the DVD being a media star who lost a stone...I don't think you have to buy one of those ...I don't have any of those. My DVD's aren't perfect but like I said they give me options when I need them.

The point again...find workouts that you will actually do. I would use a treadmill, at least during the winter and inclement weather in the summer. I don't own one anymore as the one I had was a piece of crap, but I do have access to many different treadmills and I use them when necessary. If someone thinks hat a workout lead by Queen Elizabeth is fun, and they do the whole workout a few times a week, and they put some effort into elevating their heart rate etc or proper lifting form etc that the Queen Elizabeth workout is worth it, especially if it is the Queen Elizabeth workout or nothing.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm at uni just now (living in student accommodation) and the gym is less than a 5 minute walk away so I use it to it's full advantage. I go to some classes as well which are included in my £8/month student discounted membership (boxercise has been my favourite…also done a bit of spinning) and Zumba, which costs extra, but is SO worth it.
    When I'm at home (for summer and the likes), I go swimming a lot and last summer, started jogging around our local loch but we also have a cross-trainer (elliptical) which is good for when the weather isn't on our side.

I have more motivation by going to the gym, going to classes and getting out instead of staying in doing DVDs. For me, a DVD is something to watch and enjoy AFTER working out (like a movie or TV series), but that's just me. Everyone's different :smile: