Returning to the shred PLEASE assist

Options
A few months ago I had to stop doing the 30 day shred after hurting my ankle. OVer the last few weeks I have been exercising and strengthening my ankle and in addition doing a little Pilates routine every morning too.

What I want to know is. Would it help to do it in bare feet this time around? The first time out I did it bare feet then subsequently changed to trainers and thats when the problenms startred.

Id appreciate your thoughts peeps

QC

Replies

• Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I often workout barefoot and used to do 30DS barefoot too. Trainers do give you more stability, specially when you have to balance on one leg, do lots of plyometrics, ets. But, it's not a trainsmash if you don't wear trainers if it makes you feel more comfortable.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I've done the Shred, Body Revolution and Insanity all barefoot, on carpet. Much better in my opinion.
  • QuestionableCarrot
    QuestionableCarrot Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    And tight calves? Any thoughts on that?

I am going to do deep stretches in these departments before I start my routine. Also thinking of adding some protein shakes into the mix
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I always do inside workouts barefoot.

As for the tight calves - do more stretching after the workout is over. I love Jillian - biggest fan for real! - but that woman rushes through cool downs. I never feel stretched out enough just following her. I have to stretch, and hold each stretch, for about twice as long as she does. When you feel all loose and relaxed - THEN you are done stretching.

eta: Jillian often jokes that she is totally not flexible. Hmmm, I wonder why???? :wink:
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have a free app called Sworkit. They have a stretching routine that you can do, plus lots of other routines that are useful for a good burn when you're short on time. If you get bored with Jillian or another type of cardio you can do one of those to mix it up. Good when you're snowed in too.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    And tight calves? Any thoughts on that?

I am going to do deep stretches in these departments before I start my routine. Also thinking of adding some protein shakes into the mix

I actually wouldn't recommend doing static stretches BEFORE working out - studies have shown that it can actually lead to injury! Save those deep stretches for after your workout. Beforehand, you can warm up with some dynamic stretches, such as arm circles, light jumping jacks, a few lunges, etc.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/active/7594484/Stretching-before-exercise-is-counter-productive.html