where do you report mistakes in the food database

Options
I'm new to the forum / website and I wanted to report a pretty obvious error I saw in the food database this morning. There was a listing for:

Tuna Fish Salad 1/4 cup Tmac (tuna, mayo, onion, celery) - 410 calories

Sorry but no way that can possibly be correct:

1/4 cup Tuna in oil - 80 cal
1 tbsp Real Hellmans mayo - 90 cal
1/8 cup onion - 8 cal
1/8 cup celery - 2 cal

So even using unrealisticly large numbers I can only get up to 180 calories (less than half)

So can someone tell me where I should post / report this to get it fixed??

Replies

• RunningMum2017
    RunningMum2017 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't think that it is actually a maintained database, hence why it is free. If you need to put your own food in just create the same one and add in brackets "correction" or something along those lines....
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    You can't get it fixed. Basically using the website, if an entry has an * beside it, it is entered by a user. That means they may or may not be accurate.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    the database is filled with this stuff. Its up to you to enter your foods correctly. MFP does not remove or change wrong entries, since anyone can add an entry and new ones are being added all the time.

If you are doing something like tuna salad make your own recipe and save it so you can use that or enter each ingredient on its own since you have no idea which tuna, mayo or amounts went into some one else's recipe.

The more you use MFP the easier it gets to enter foods.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You'll find that there are numerous foods that may not be accurate. If you are entering a certain food that has more than a few ingredients it's best to create a "recipe" yourself, then you know the exact portions of those ingredients. You have to be careful logging. It wouldn't be hard to go over by a few hundred calories each day using the incorrect portion sizes and inaccuracies you'll find in the database. Usually if I don't have time to create a recipe myself I will just enter each ingredient separately and that's usually pretty close. Good luck.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    One of the difficult things I've found about keeping my food log accurate is going to a friend's for dinner, or a party, or to a non-chain restaurant. Unless it's a well-known recipe, it's not bound to be in the database exactly. You can enter it yourself if you know it, or use quick-add calories, but then you sacrifice macro measurements. In this case you know how it's made, so add it yourself as a recipe or entry in the database.