Grocery list and what to get?

Options
So I'm making a grocery list and I'd like some of your help. What foods should I buy? I'm on a budget, so please nothing that costs way too much. I wanna try eating a lot cleaner. I'd like some recommendations. Anything low in calories and taste great would be awesome!

Replies

• CaseyIsTooFat
    CaseyIsTooFat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Chicken is always a plus. Boneless skinless chicken breast are about 1.99/lb at walmart. FRUIT!!! lots of fruit its great for snacking. Rice cakes? Water. vegtables. Aunt millies light whole grain bread.
  • CaseyIsTooFat
    CaseyIsTooFat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Chicken is always a plus. Boneless skinless chicken breast are about 1.99/lb at walmart. FRUIT!!! lots of fruit its great for snacking. Rice cakes? Water. vegtables. Aunt millies light whole grain bread.
  • gypsyone96
    gypsyone96 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I always pick up a pack of chicken breasts, two cartons of almond milk, some veggies (asparagus, broccoli, etc...), sweet potatoes, and occasionally dark chocolate when I run out. Try to buy in bulk, it's cheaper that way.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I like lean ground beef or stew meat, frozen veggies, frozen fruit, almond milk, sandwich rounds, salad fixings, tuna fish
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    As the other posters suggested, chicken breast is always on the list. I also will get lean boneless pork chops for a dinner protein as well. When I'm in the mood, I'll get some seafood as well.

As far as staples, here are the things I'll buy routinely.
    - raisin bran
    - greek yogurt
    - salad greens / baby arugula / baby spinach
    - avocados
    - frozen veggie mixes
    - whole wheat bread
    - flatbread/pita pockets/low carb wraps
    - canned tuna
    - sliced turkey from the deli
    - laughing cow cheese
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast is an expensive option where I am, so if I was on a budget I'd go with cheaper options like thigh or drumsticks, slow cooker cuts of beef/lamb etc. make stews/chilli/casserole, or roast a piece of meat to use in various meals.
    Eggs are inexpensive proteins, and you can get protein from beans/legumes etc. tins of fish in oil would be good to have handy too.

Frozen vegies and fruit may be more reasonably priced than fresh, and buying seasonal would likely be cheaper. I'd also suggest eating meals made out of similar ingredients all week so you can buy in bulk, save from wasting food, and save time doing prep too.
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    eggs are def high up on the list of cost vs. nutrition. I could eat them every meal and not get sick of them.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    chicken I buy the frozen chicken breasts because usually these are cheaper but look for sales because sometimes that's not the case, ground turkey I get the turkey all the time, not only is it way cheaper than ground beef but it has way less fat and has more protein! Bagged beans, brown rice, veggies you can get frozen veggies very inexpensively usually they have a huge bag of them at wal-mart for $5.97 I get those all the time, fruits (if you're on a very tight budget like me, bananas are the way to go you can get a ton of them for very little money usually 2 bunches is around $2)
  • NickiG724
    Options
    Kale...lots of Kale...to make Kale chips! I love Kale chips!