Help - Weight Gain - Please View Diary

Options
Hey all

So I've been back on track since Monday yet I've gained 3/4lb. I thought I had been eating really well. Managed to get two fitness classes in this week so far and drank around 11 glasses of water per day. I'm vegetarian and get no real protein in my diet, I've finally found a shake that I can take without bolking and have been adding some oats and raisins etc to it. Yet here I am gaining weight!

Appreciate your comments x

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I assume you mean bulking. You can't do that by accident, so I wouldn't worry about that. As far as gain, you just started back to it, so patience. Your weight can fluctuate as much as 5 lbs in a single day. Be careful using generic entries in MFP the small banana could easily be 50 calories instead of the half a small banana of 36 calories in the database. I highly recommend a digit scale to weigh foods. Only use measuring cups for liquids. As far as protein for vegetarians nuts, quinoa, peanut butter (PB2 is fairly low cal for decent amount of protein). Google vegetarian protein, I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting. If you are gaining true weight, it is from a calorie surplus and you are unknowingly eating more than you think. Make sure you log 100%.
  • kelscot30
    kelscot30 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I assume you mean bulking. You can't do that by accident, so I wouldn't worry about that. As far as gain, you just started back to it, so patience. Your weight can fluctuate as much as 5 lbs in a single day. Be careful using generic entries in MFP the small banana could easily be 50 calories instead of the half a small banana of 36 calories in the database. I highly recommend a digit scale to weigh foods. Only use measuring cups for liquids. As far as protein for vegetarians nuts, quinoa, peanut butter (PB2 is fairly low cal for decent amount of protein). Google vegetarian protein, I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting. If you are gaining true weight, it is from a calorie surplus and you are unknowingly eating more than you think. Make sure you log 100%.
    Thank you for your response. I'm not sure what you mean by assuming I mean bulking?! I just think that given the change I would have saw something go down the way instead of up. I overestimate the choices on MFP just incase I do go over my allowance. The amount of alternative vegetarian food I would have to eat to consume an expected amount of protein is difficult, I dont eat soya or meat replacement products and protein shakes have been the easiest way so far for me to consume it. I have persevered with PB, went whole organic earth PB with no additives etc but I just struggle to eat it. I'm trying though! x
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    She was referring to your comment that you are not "bolking".
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I gain two pounds just waking up and walking around. Please don't obsess over less than a pound of fluctuation. You have probably lost fat but your fluid retention is masking your progress.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Bolking is Norn Irish for vomiting?
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? I always find when I start eating healthy unless I am drinking enough water, things can start to get a bit blocked up, as my body is used to passing out more waste, so when the amount decreases it can 'sit there' so to speak. Water helps move things along.

As for vegetarian protein, go for legumes and tofu
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Ah, okay bolking wasn't a typo then. Sorry I read it bulking ♥

Also, she doesn't need to drink more water 11 glasses is already quite a bit.

Honestly, OP give it a few weeks and keep up with logging. If you found a protein source that you enjoy and can reach your targets with stick with it. :) If in a few weeks the trend isn't heading in the direction you want, then it's time to reassess. Also, for your reading pleasure.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants 
  • kelscot30
    Options
    Ah, okay bolking wasn't a typo then. Sorry I read it bulking ♥

Also, she doesn't need to drink more water 11 glasses is already quite a bit.

Honestly, OP give it a few weeks and keep up with logging. If you found a protein source that you enjoy and can reach your targets with stick with it. :) If in a few weeks the trend isn't heading in the direction you want, then it's time to reassess. Also, for your reading pleasure.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants 

Ahh ok I can see where we went wrong with the bolking part. Yeah, I mean shakes that make me physically sick lol I read that blog, thanks for pointing it in my direction! It makes sense! I suppose when you've done every fad diet you just overcomplicate things but it really calories in vs calories out right?!

I just thought given that I have changed it up quite a bit and being a big girl in her first week of dieting that I would have saw a loss, even though it will only be water retention. I usually see at least 6lb in my first week. x
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Your diet doesn't matter as much as how much you eat. As long as you weigh your food and you know you eat at a deficit, it can only be water weight, which happens all the time. But if you don't weigh your food, you might be overeating, which would explain a weight gain too.
  • mandiana
    mandiana Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian. Here are some of the ways I've gotten protein recently without meat replacement foods ordered by the number of grams of protein per 100 calories.

18 - Plain Greek Yogurt (I add stevia and cinnamon to make it taste good)
    15 - spinach
    9 - unsweetened soy milk (organic, non-gmo)
    8 - broccoli
    8 - lentils
    7 - Eggs
    6.5 - kale
    6.5 - peas
    6 - Cheddar Cheese
    5 - acorn squash
    4.5 - steel cut oats
    4 - garbanzo beans
    3.5 - quinoa
    3.5 - Whole Wheat French Bread
    3.5 - natural peanut butter
    3.5 - Whole Wheat Pasta
    3 - cashews
    3 - Hummus
    2.5 - Sweet Potato
    2.5 - red skinned potato
    2.5 - Walnuts
    2.5 - Mary's Gone Crackers (gluten free crackers)

Definitely weigh those raisins. I know, for me, whenever I eat raisins I'm always shocked by how many calories are in them, but I love them!!!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Hey all

So I've been back on track since Monday yet I've gained 3/4lb. I thought I had been eating really well. Managed to get two fitness classes in this week so far and drank around 11 glasses of water per day. I'm vegetarian and get no real protein in my diet, I've finally found a shake that I can take without bolking and have been adding some oats and raisins etc to it. Yet here I am gaining weight!

Appreciate your comments x

I don't think 3 days is long enough to expect results.
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I would not stress it, it's not uncommon for weight to fluctuate day to day.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Sore muscles? TOM coming? Have you pooped lately? Consume a lot of sodium yesterday? Have a head cold?

There are many, many things that would cause less than a pound of a gain. I'd suggest weighing in once a week if you can't handle the normal fluctuations that everyone experiences.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Weight changes daily. Your weight gain could be from the following reaons
    -- Too much Salt.
    -- water
    -- Weight of the actuall food.

Weight your self once a month or once a week... or start weighting your self ever day and see your weight jump around.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Track sodium, increase in sodium or change or increase in intensity of exercise can all cause water retention. That said are you weighing all solid foods and measuring liquids? If not there is a good chance you are eating much more than you think you are.
  • kelscot30
    Options
    Thanks all for your feedback. I'm definitely not eating too much, if anything I think Im eating less. I've been to body combat, circuits and attack this week and my scales are exactly the same on day 5. I am looking at reducing my sodium intake, I found that made a difference in the past!
  • Dianeshealthysteps
    Options
    I think that you're certainly drinking enough water, and everybody's scales go up and down a bit, defiantly check how much salt you're having it's a good thing to know anyway because it's hidden in everything, we do need salt, but maybe not to much

Keep up the good work it will be interesting to see how you go, at our gymn we only weigh once a month measurements with tape measure more important

Personally I'm a scale addict as well, have even been known to get up in the middle of the night to see if I've lost weight

If I've put it on just pull the covers over my head.
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm a veggie (27 years) and from what I can see you're definitely not eating enough, especially as you are working out.

You are welcome to add me as a friend if you want any tips!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    sorry you are worried about 3/4 of a lb increase......????

Water weight, normal flucuations

don't weigh yourself so much.

ETA: if you are working out and it's new that is water retention in the muscles. Takes about 3 weeks for that to go away.
  • kelscot30
    Options
    sorry you are worried about 3/4 of a lb increase......????

Water weight, normal flucuations

don't weigh yourself so much.

ETA: if you are working out and it's new that is water retention in the muscles. Takes about 3 weeks for that to go away.

Well its been a week now and weight is exactly the same. Its not that I was worried, I was simply highlighting that 4 days into a new diet I normally see the scales moving in the right direction, not up and was simply asking for advice on my diary before I continue with wrong choices.