Beginner runners in your 40's 50's and beyond?

Options
I'm 48. I enjoyed running even though I was seriously unfit. I have not exercised seriously in over a year. I have recent back issues and a dodgy knee but would like to try and run at least 5k by the end of the year.

Now when I say run, I mean at a pace probably equivalent to someone else's fast walking, but I would like to improve that. My blockers are my own lack of motivation, worried about hurting my back/knee and the fact that it's cold and wet outside.

I have the C25k on my phone but I think I prefer to just walk/run/walk without it (very distracting to listen to the app whilst remembering to breathe, and not fall over!)

So anyone else approaching running in middle age? How has it been for you?

Replies

• charliemouse70
    charliemouse70 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Did the C25k last year (at the age of 42-43) and really enjoyed running.
    Unfortunately I did develop plantar fasciitis and hip bursitis. Fortunately I'm a podiatrist so I recognised the signs and knew what to do about it: I rested from running and did lots of stretching exercises & added a pair of orthoses to my shoes.

The pain went and I resumed running. Sadly, it seems as though it's something I'm prone to despite all the precautions. I've recently decided to abandon just running and broaden my exercise regime. I've signed up for 3 different exercise classes and have decided to run just once a week. At the moment, with the weather being bad I'm running in the gym rather than outdoors. Boy is it boring! So, I'm running for just 15 mins then doing 10-15 mins on bike and the same on the rowing machine. And I've upped the stretches.

I've had to abandon my original goal of running 5-10k, 3 times a week and my big goal of running the Great North Run. It seems that I may love running but running doesn't necessarily love this old body of mine.
  • TimmyT66
    Options
    Never really ran before in my life only in school, but 3 years ago signed up for a 10k Cancer Charity run at the age of 44 as it was on my Mums birthday, who died of cancer at the age of 47. Bought a 2nd had treadmill and just increased distance each time went on it never actually got to 10k on treadmill but did complete the Charity Run in just over an hour. The motivation was not being able to complete the Charity Run, so knew I had to train. I had been fitted with orthotics for my golf shoes in the past due to over pronation and I put these in my trainers so helped avoid injuries.

So tips:

1. Get fitted for the correct trainers/orthotics
    2. Sign up for a 5k or even 10k
    3. Listen to music stop the boredom
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was 30 and feel like I've been a perpetual beginner every since!

Like Charliemouse I've been prone to a few recurrent pains, hip bursitis being the most persistent and causing me to drop out of London marathon training a couple of years back. Since then I've dropped waaaay back. The longest race I've done is 5 miles and now I'm back to run/walking and power walking.

If C25K doesn't hit the spot, check out Jeff Galloway's run/walk method - you basically find a ratio that works for your speed and stick with it rather than running more each week. Friends do 4-hour marathons using his method! Here's his recommended ratio based on your mile time:
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon-training/

Driven inside by the bad weather recently, I've been walking on the "dreadmill" at 4mph/6.4kph and at elevations up to 5% and find my heart rate gets just as high as running.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I started at 48 a little over a year ago and had issues with pain, swelling, crunchy noises and twice one of my knees gave out. Saw an ortho and he told me my cartilage is worn out, no running, squatting, lunges or I'll need knee replacements within 5 years. Saw a physical therapist who told me train very slowly, incorporate hills & lose more weight even if everyone says I don't need to because less weight is less stress on the knees. Been fine ever since. Mind you I don't run very far - 3 to 4 miles a few times a week because part of me is a little worried about having knees 5 years from now. They still crunch but otherwise they're fine, including squats and lunges.
  • spankythewondermonkey
    Options
    i started running 15 months ago having hated it for the previous 44 years of my life. did my first timed 5k race (parkrun) dec 2012 and am in training for my first ultra marathon this march.
    the biggest thing to get right with running is learning how to run. sounds dumb, cos everyone knows how to run right? wrong! i didn't, but have since learned good form running, which has kept me virtually injury free (other than a few strains from too far, too soon). look for 'pose running technique' on you-tube. it's not for everyone, but has worked for me.
  • patb8452
    patb8452 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 52 and not built for running in any way shape or form, but last July I completed the British 10k in aid of a little girl in my daughter's class who had cancer. I jogged/fast walked the whole course but I did it! Unfortunately the little girl passed away but I am going to do it again this year again to raise awareness and hopefully money for cancer research and I will improve on my time (I hope!).

I used to do a bit of jogging/slow running a few years ago when I was in TA but I hated it then and I still do! Needs must I guess.
  • morty1966
    morty1966 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I love running, it's my favourite exercise but like a previous poster I have injury problems. ironically I have not hurt myself running, but doing kettlebell exercises; all those squats with weights mean that I now have patella tendernitis. I am doing lots of different exercises to strengthen my legs in general and my knees in particular. I am going back to running this week for the first time in ages, and can't wait.

I think this is the problem with starting exercising when older, I think I am more prone to injury if I go too fast/hard so as long as I am aware of that and am sensible then I will be OK. I hope!
  • HowDidThatHappen
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. Some helpful advice there. I do worry about my knees, etc. I am recovering from a prolapsed disc as well. Running just seems like the ideal exercise for me. I am already trying to walk more to appointments instead of taking the car,but it has been so wet, windy and cold here in the UK the past few weeks. Not terribly inspiring for walking, let alone running. Tried the treadmill. Hated it - unbelievably boring ......
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 46 & started running seriously in 2009 (as in on a fairly regular basis). I am not a natural runner & hated it at school!! I am also the wrong shape!! However I kept at it and since then have run a few 5ks, 10ks, 3 half's & 3 full marathons!!! I had a break lady year following some negative comments about my slow speed but have not sorted my head out & come back to it. I am starting again building the distances up. Sticking with 5k for now. Just keep plodding along & do whatever works for you. Don't make my mistake in listening to anyone who doesn't have anything positive to say!!! I had issues with my IT band a year or two ago so have to be careful with that. Make sure you have properly fitted trainers ie gait analysis, as that will help. Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • HowDidThatHappen
    Options
    Hi I am 46 & started running seriously in 2009 (as in on a fairly regular basis). I am not a natural runner & hated it at school!! I am also the wrong shape!! However I kept at it and since then have run a few 5ks, 10ks, 3 half's & 3 full marathons!!! I had a break lady year following some negative comments about my slow speed but have not sorted my head out & come back to it. I am starting again building the distances up. Sticking with 5k for now. Just keep plodding along & do whatever works for you. Don't make my mistake in listening to anyone who doesn't have anything positive to say!!! I had issues with my IT band a year or two ago so have to be careful with that. Make sure you have properly fitted trainers ie gait analysis, as that will help. Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:

Thank you.