Depression. Need friendlies to motivate me.

Options
I've been hit by the sad train so early this year, but I've been keeping on track with my foods and exercise and general can-do. It's everything else in life that's got me feeling low. I just need to be held accountable to anyone to stay focused and accomplish at least this one thing for myself.

I hope everyone else's start to the new year was more delightful than mine.

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    What is a friendly? From where I am this a more familiar used term for an exhibition game of sport....
  • Angela937
    Angela937 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have been clinically depressed for over 3 years now, and being treated with SSRIs. Most people call them anti-depressants. It is good that you are making sure to eat healthy and exercise, because that is great in managing depression. But be sure to get at least 8 hours sleep every night, and consult your Dr. if you think it is getting to unbearable. Believe me, if you are depressed for to long, your chemicals will become unbalanced and make it much more difficult to lose weight. I am not an advocate of jumping onto pills to feel happier, but when a person truly needs it, it is necessary.
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Depression sucks, but it does get better. I was on SSRIs for a couple of years, and they helped out, more than words can say. They're not really "happy pills" per se, they just seem to turn down your 'give a damn' to a more manageable level.

Just take it easy, give yourself some time, and you WILL get through this! :smile:
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Before everyone tells OP to start taking medication, she hasn't stated that she has actually been diagnosed with depression, and may instead just be unhappy about things in her life.
  • LADYFAHMY
    Options
    Keep your head up!! We all take knocks now and then, you can do it!! Stay focused and concentrate on the positive.
  • tnicmorris
    tnicmorris Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have definitely been there before--a few times. I'm on a new discipline kick this year and I'm having my sister-in-law be my accountability partner. I'd be happy to be a support friend for you.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Been there a time or two and heck even with making my life healthier. Add me if you like. We all have challenges in life and its how we handle them. Sounds to me like you're doing it the right way.
  • Jane2285
    Jane2285 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've suffered with depression and severe anxiety for awhile now...so I feel ya, trust me. I find my motivation shifts. Having MFP has helped, because it holds me accountable and some people I've met on here, we talk on Facebook now too, so if I don't show up on MFP they bug the heck out of me on there...or they call me....or they email me...so it's nice to know people care! It gets me pumped up and not wanting to let them down. I've found going to the gym has actually helped my depression...but I STILL take my medication, because my doctor hasn't said not to! So, if you want, add me:) I'm here, making the best of it, and wading through with friends who genuinely support me:) I would love to be a support system for you too!

Megan:)
  • jlneibauer
    Options
    Hi! :)
    I wouldn't jump into taking any medication for depression unless there's no valid/rational reason for being depressed, which is why I'm currently on depression medication.
    If I were you, I'd take vitamin b and d3 which a great for your mood! I take both. I feel very energized after taking them in the morning (after eating a small meal with water because vitamins can be hard on your stomach.) Also, meditation works great. One thing you can do to clear your mind is go to a room that has no windows. Most likely a bathroom. I closed would work too if it's big enough for you to sit in. Take a candle in the room and light it. Make sure it's pitch black minus the light from the candle. Focus on the candle light while breathing very slow and deeply. You can stay in the room with the candle for as long as you like. It really helps with mind clarity and calmness!
    Another trick I learned, is to write down everything that is bothering me. Then slowly go through the list and try to solve each problem one at a time. Some problems can't be fixed and need to be let go.
    Depression is very staling and I know how it can be. Just focus on the good things. Watch something really funny just to laugh! Laughter is a wonderful depression fighter!!
  • PumpkinPanda
    Options
    Some times you need medication to deal with the symptoms before you can fix it naturally. Since a depressed person won't even get out of bed, it's not going to help by suggesting exercise.

I'm on medication for anxiety. This allows me to deal with the thoughts behind my anxiety without a crippling panic attack hitting me.

Medication is not the only fix, but it's part of the fix!

That said, OP hasn't said diagnosed with depression.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Walk,Walk,Walk
  • brittk2013
    brittk2013 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have depression and anxiety so I understand how it can feel. If anyone on here needs a friend to talk, listen, or just be there, feel free to add me.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Sending hugs ....... lots of them ......

Eating well & moving more keeps me from feeling down in the dumps .......

Oh, also decluttering my castle ..... always makes me feel more productive :happy:

You can friend me if you'd like ...... all the best !
  • VioletHaz
    VioletHaz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I will reiterate what others have already said, Depression sucks. I see medication talk, medication isn't for everyone. They tried several with me and they made me so much worse for years. Much better now after psychotherapy sessions and just accepting that life is what it is. Looking for support the way you are is great. A little friendly chat/support is great for many :) Gives another prospective to the world around you.
    Stick with the diet and exercise as they do help. They help so much that I wish I would just force myself to stick with it daily instead of letting the busy-ness of work and home take up my me time.
    Smiles :)
  • joanie2010
    Options
    I suffer from depression and anxiety so I know how hard it is to stay motivated when you feel so down.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • PaulaRicco
    PaulaRicco Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    One day at a time! I go through these down times too. Living in the present has really helped me - I like to say that in 2013 I worked on taking a major chill pill. Instead of regretting the past and worrying about the future, focus on how you feel right now. And maybe you feel crappy right now, and that's alright! You can dedicate yourself to improving how you feel in the moment. Take each day as it comes.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Couch and cookies can be a valid support to get through a a rough day, but eating healthy and exercising help a lot on the long run. Starting is hard, but the results will be tangible. Also, having a routine will keep you focused and busy. Set up small goals so you won't fall in the "I'll never do it, so why bother" trap. Losing a few lbs, walking 5 miles a week? Whatever works for you.
    That being said, if everything is just unbearable and you think you may be clinically depressed you should definitely seek for professional help, just like I think you would do if you had a broken ankle.

And now... Hugs ^_^
  • chunkygirl3040
    Options
    I also suffer FROM ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION , finally made the choice to take meds...doing a lot better after 6 months ..now trying to get my head out of my own rear and accomplish something for my self ...I feel the pain or what ou all are going through...im a stay at home mom now too and it gets kind of hard ..its nice to see this site and everyone getting together for support and al that good stuff ...we can do anything we put our minds to ..staying positive is a real challenge but if we can do that ..than half the battle is won!! good luck