Roller derby helped me love my body

Options
Nimue108
Nimue108 Posts: 110 Member
This is a success story not because of weight loss but because of body image gained. I am not a heavy person, but I am definitely a pear shaped one. I have a small chest and large hips, butt, and thighs. I always felt akward because my 2 halves never matched and especially during my teen years I tried everything I could think of to get rid of it. I am now 29 years old and proud of my body because I have joined a roller derby team. These women have taught me to love my assets and that they are useful and strong and it is nice to look in the mirror now and see something that is strong rather than a nuisance. My body is a gift and something special and I now work it for strength rather than a certain image. It is a wonderful thing!

Replies

• cedarblack
    cedarblack Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • Nimue108
    Options
    That is why this is such a big thing for me. I was obsessed with my weight for years (got an ED and everything) and this has helped me to put my obsession into being stronger and faster and more agile instead of looking a certain way. Derby is great for all body types and that is one of the reasons I love it so.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I love it and I'm super jealous! I want to be a roller derby girl!! WTG!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    ME TOO! ITS THE BEST,,, i still roller blade every day outside when weather permits.
    crazy calorie burn!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    So....awesome!
  • lisakay0x
    lisakay0x Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I remember back in the 90s when they used to have the ladies Roller Derby on TV - I was always in awe. Good for you for finding a new passion!

You should really check out he movie "Whip It" if you haven't already!
  • Nimue108
    Options
    I have checked out 'Whip It' and while it is fun they aren't playing by the rules, lol. There are NO elbows allowed at all. My thoughts though are that if it gets more girls to come out and try it that works for me. For anyone interested in joining google roller derby in your area. My team is young (starting our second season) so some people still don't know about it. Go forth and DERBY!!
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    This is one awesome post! Congratulations and keep kicking bootay!
  • codewordfishsticks
    Options
    Good for you! Welcome to the awesome obsession that is derby! =) I am also a derby girl! Question: I just signed up for this today, so I'm still learning the ropes. How do you guys list derby practice/bouts as exercise? It's both cardio and strength training in my opinion, and I wasn't sure what else that's in the list might be close.
  • coop220
    Options
    I've been a roller derby athlete for about 4 years now. I can truly say it is the best thing in my life. To track my calories I have worn a HRM...the results are unbelievable! If you need any track advice let me know :) I'm so excited you have discovered this amazing sport!
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Yay! I've been "retired" for about 2 years, but dang is it easy to fall in love with.
    There wasn't a jammer that could get past these hips without lots of work or hurt coming her way.

Happy skating!
  • DrKhaotica
    DrKhaotica Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I typically estimate 50-60% of the total time of practice, depending on what was being worked on. Typically the lower end if you are working on skills, higher end if you are scrimmaging. Because, there is a lot of standing around done in derby practice.
  • divainsneakers
    divainsneakers Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Yay Derby!!
  • cinoi1551
    cinoi1551 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Me too! This is so awesome!
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    amwoidyla wrote: »
    Yay! I've been "retired" for about 2 years, but dang is it easy to fall in love with.
    There wasn't a jammer that could get past these hips without lots of work or hurt coming her way.

Happy skating!

Haha, me too. I used my hips to my advantage, biiiig time! (J-hooked like a motha'fu...)

And good for you!! I skated a couple of years ago, and dropped close to 20 pounds doing it, it was great for my self esteem and overall health. :)

• nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should dust off my old rink skates. I skated every weekend as a middle-schooler and loved it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!