Low Carbers: Crazy Carb Cravings?

Options
This week I started eating 20%carbs 40% fat 40% protein... the first 2 days were easy... but now I am dying for carbs-- weird ones that I never eat anyways... like Beefaroni and Tuna helper. I ate some cajun cooked cream beans straight out the can day before yesterday (though still within my 20% allowance)... anyone experience this? And how long can I expect it to last?

Replies

• richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Yeah it happens around day 3 I found, I found all cravings usually are gone by the end of the first week though :)
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    It can take a week or so with me. Do the best you can, and eat something that's on plan!
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Usually a week for me too! It will get easier the longer you keep your carbs low.
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    Cool, thanks! So, it should just be a few more days... I'm glad because these cravings are just crazy lol. Wahhhh losing weight is uncomfortable LOL
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I do low carb for about 2 weeks then I need a cheat day. Usually for salty carbs. Had honey roasted peanuts yesterday, little bag of chez it's. I never liked those even. I had a healthy choice steamer, muffin, scone all these horrible processed carbs. Oh well. Today is back to normal.

Any answers to your question is yes, I get crazy cravings
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah and they are random and out of the blue! I remember an intense craving for cherry pie, which I never really ate anyway. But I would have slugged a kitten for a piece of cherry pie. It was maybe 2-3 days of that and then it went away.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I do low carb too, but I have a higher fat % in my diet. I find that the fat in food is what satiates me and knocks down cravings.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I do low carb too, but I have a higher fat % in my diet. I find that the fat in food is what satiates me and knocks down cravings.

Same here. If I'm craving carbs it means I'm not eating enough fat/calories.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Maybe it'd be better to include a bit more healthy carbs (like whole grains) and not crave unhealthy carbs (like incredibly processed food)? Just my opinion.
  • Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Maybe it'd be better to include a bit more healthy carbs (like whole grains) and not crave unhealthy carbs (like incredibly processed food)? Just my opinion.

The more carbs I eat (any carbs, even whole grains), the more carbs I crave. And you can't control WHICH kinds of carbs you crave! So for me, I have to keep all the carbs (even the whole grains) low, in order to fight off the unhealthy carbs (like cherry pie, or a hostess cupcake). Because with all the carbs low, the cravings go away in a few days. With trying to only eat the whole grains, the cravings are constant!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I would suggest increasing your fat intake. That might help you out with the cravings. You can still have tuna, but without the "helper" part, or find a low carb recipe that's similar to tuna helper.
  • breeshabebe
    Options
    Increase my fat to higher than 40%? I've been getting lots of healthy fats in. If after 1 week and a half, I'm still craving these crazy things... I will probably experiment in the kitchen for low carb versions of what I want.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm low carbing but for different reason I'm a diabetic. Doing not to bad. For some reason dietician don't want me to low. She likes around 100 and I say that is to much. But it's hard to try and loose weight. There's no easy way out.

Good luck to all.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I guess everyone's different. I find that lots of healthy whole grains, fruits, and veggies help me stave off cravings. Do what works for you though. :)
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Increase my fat to higher than 40%? I've been getting lots of healthy fats in. If after 1 week and a half, I'm still craving these crazy things... I will probably experiment in the kitchen for low carb versions of what I want.
    Honestly, if you're still having those cravings you'd be better off adjusting your macros because something isn't right (carbs and protein too high/fat too low). The hallmark of a low carb diet is appetite control and no cravings -- 40% fat on a low carb diet is probably too low, IMO.